DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

Also, they were ramping up Star Wars until Solo kinda flopped. Content for the streaming service is a really good second life for these movies, but they want profit before that.

One thing about Rey's parents: them being nobody actually fits pretty well in TFA as well. 

• Like 2

I think if Rian had fought the urge to put in the Spielberg "Feel Good Moment" with the kid and the broom, then people would be a lot more OK with TLJ.  It's got basically the same ending as Empire, but turned up to 11.

I like in the new trilogy how even the Alliance victories come at exceedingly heavy cost.  Brings a new layer to the rah-rah war stuff in the OT.

Edit: Oh shit, is this the Upcoming movies thread?  We should adjourn to the Star Wars thread.

Edited by Bustronaut

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Star Wars needs someone like Kevin Feige at the helm and Kathleen Kennedy sure as hell isn't it.

Bob Iger is the one ultimately making the decisions and he’s the one who decided on the timetable and directors. Also remember Disney went with this timetable to coincide with the openings of Galaxy’s Edge at the parks. 

2 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

It needs someone with far less experience and far fewer hits?  Someone not responsible for something like 75% of your childhood favorite movies?

giphy.gif

Kevin Feige as president of Marvel Studios has been far more successful than Kathleen Kennedy has been as president of Lucasfilm. Kennedy's past successes as producer or executive producer are irrelevant here. What matters is who has created a stronger vision for their product and created a stronger formula for their product that has continuously delivered without fail. Under Feige, you had the nearly flawless execution of a plan to have all of these movies over 11 years build to one gigantic moment/finale.

You're really trying to argue that Kennedy has done a better job in creating a direction and vision for Star Wars than Feige has with Marvel? 

• Like 2

If you look at the first 4 MCU movies*, the 4 Disney Star Wars movies are much more cohesive, entertaining and well crafted.  Hell, two of those first movies have almost been disowned at this point, and a third is mostly considered bland. (Solo was Iron Man 2! *Gasp!*)

*Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor

Kennedy's movies have grossed $11B *domestically* you can't diminish the woman's career because NotSoSilentBob.com or whichever site thinks for you doesn't agree with choices that were made in two movies that grossed over $3B worldwide.

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Taika Waititi is officially signed to do Thor 4 and Akira is getting delayed indefinitely yet again due to scheduling conflicts and script issues.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

Kennedy's movies have grossed $11B *domestically* you can't diminish the woman's career because NotSoSilentBob.com or whichever site thinks for you doesn't agree with choices that were made in two movies that grossed over $3B worldwide.

Wow, that's certainly extremely shitty, snarky, and argumentative. Take your attitude somewhere else. I don't go to any other website to "think" for me or whatever you'd like to assume. For clarity's sake, I go here, a couple woodworking websites, and mtggoldfish.com. That's about all I have the time for.

You're also unfairly casting an assumption on me that I'm in favor of some weird ass opinion that TFA and TLJ aren't good for whatever dumb reason or whatever when nearly anyone else on here can tell you I love those movies probably more than most.

I'd appreciate it if when trying to discuss or even debate something you didn't almost immediately sink to the lowest possible levels of discourse you could probably sink to. Thanks.

• Like 5

Man I'd love to read those Akira adaptations just to learn what "script issues" looks like.

Like I could imagine someone straight up copying the original movie script, and the producers would be like "wait....what the fuck is this? I'm not paying for this."

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Man I'd love to read those Akira adaptations just to learn what "script issues" looks like.

Like I could imagine someone straight up copying the original movie script, and the producers would be like "wait....what the fuck is this? I'm not paying for this."

That's one of the two things I don't get. What is it that has made that thing so unmakeable since 99 or 2000?

The other thing is, why do they keep trying to make a live action version only to crash into the rocks every time.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Katsuhiro Otomo is developing a new anime inspired by the manga and the 1988 film, so that'll probably be better anyway.

That I would be down for.

Solo is the very definition of a perfectly acceptable movie. Completely forgettable, but still good.

I still want to know what that thing would have been like with Lord and Miller directing it.

• Like 1

Playing With Fire

John Cena, Keegan-Michael Key, John Leguizamo, Negasonic Teenage Warhead

It is a Nickelodeon movie directed by Andy Fickman who is the dude who did Race to Witch Mountain and The Game Plan so I guess he is the "We need a guy to work with ex-wrestlers who are protecting young children" director

John Cena looks like he's on the Rock's career path now, just slightly more accelerated.

So, what, we're probably 4 years away from Cena having a falling out with Vin Diesel while simultaneously doing a spin-off Fast movie with, uh, uh, uh...Scott Eastwood? Ludacris?

HUSTLERS

Starring Jennifer Lopez, Cardi B, Constance Wu, Lili Reinhart, Lizzo, Keke Palmer, Julia Stiles, and Mercedes Ruehl (and a rented Lear)

Directed by Lorene Scarfaria (Seeking a Friend For The End of the WorldNick & Nora's Infinite Playlist)

Based on the true story of a bunch of strippers who stole a lot of money from a bunch of Wall Street types. Read the article, it's great.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

John Cena looks like he's on the Rock's career path now, just slightly more accelerated.

So, what, we're probably 4 years away from Cena having a falling out with Vin Diesel while simultaneously doing a spin-off Fast movie with, uh, uh, uh...Scott Eastwood? Ludacris?

John Cena will never get the chance to star is as many bad (but profitable?) movies as the Rock has.

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

HUSTLERS

Starring Jennifer Lopez, Cardi B, Constance Wu, Lili Reinhart, Lizzo, Keke Palmer, Julia Stiles, and Mercedes Ruehl (and a rented Lear)

Directed by Lorene Scarfaria (Seeking a Friend For The End of the WorldNick & Nora's Infinite Playlist)

Based on the true story of a bunch of strippers who stole a lot of money from a bunch of Wall Street types. Read the article, it's great.

Mette Towley (aka the girl from N.E.R.D. and Rihanna's Lemon video) is also in this. She is a bit eccentric to say the least, which is probably why she was chosen to be in the live action Cats movie as well.

The Peanut Butter Falcon

Director: Tyler Nilson & Michael Schwartz

Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Dakota Johnson, Bruce Dern, Jon Bernthal, and Thomas Haden Church

with Mick Foley and Jake Roberts

I dare someone ANYONE show this to Jim Cornette.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco