DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Zombieland: Double Tap

Borderline NSFW just because of language

Awwwwww man, they should have saved some of those surprises for the movie.

• Like 2

LUCE

Starring Octavia Spencer, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Naomi Watts, and Tim Roth

I'd seriously pay money to watch Octavia Spencer read the phone book at this point.  

3 hours ago, Swiftian said:

John Travolta stalking Devon Sawa in a film directed by, um, Fred Durst.

Evokes Misery, in more ways than one.

That came up in my feed and I laughed and laughed. Almost posted it here just for the ridicule. And it's a FRED DURST vehicle?! Go figure...

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That can't be Chocolate Star fish and the Hot dog flavored water Fred Durst right?    ?

Yes. He's been a director for a little while now. He directed a movie with Jesse Eisenberg in it and another with Ice Cube.

21 Bridges - the cop movie starring Chadwick Boseman - has been moved from Sept to a Thanksgiving release (11/22/19)

Supposedly the decision was made after the movie got a big response at Comic Con

It is now opening (but I wouldn't say competing) against It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Frozen 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

21 Bridges - the cop movie starring Chadwick Boseman - has been moved from Sept to a Thanksgiving release (11/22/19)

Supposedly the decision was made after the movie got a big response at Comic Con

It is now opening (but I wouldn't say competing) against It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Frozen 2

This is actually the second time it's been pushed back.  Original release date was July 12th. 

I think they moved it from late September because they didn't want it to get smashed by Joker. 

Being out against It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Frozen 2 looks bad on paper until you consider that it will be the only high profile action movie released that weekend, so it has a chance to make a little money.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

While I agree with not wanting to be against Joker, I think you are also over estimating how well that movie is going to do

Oh, it's going to get beat down regardless of when it's released but i think that even with horrible reviews, it'll do marginally better against a kid's movie and a biography than it will against a superhero crime movie.

It's like putting up a horror movie or a hard R action movie up against a kid's movie.  It'll do well because not every adult out there has kids that will drag them to the children's movie.

Edited by J.T.

Just now, Craig H said:

I don't think that Joker movie is going to do well. At all.

Yeah I was talking about Joker not 21 Bridges 

JT is/was confused

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think that Joker movie is going to do well. At all.

They're debuting it at Venice and then TIFF and there is some Oscar buzz hype already. If it gets rave reviews at TIFF, it's hard not to imagine the curiosity factor goes way up and gets people at the theaters three weeks later. Plus, there is NO major competition the week before or after it. You already saw The Woman in the Window get the fuck out the way too. So other studios are concerned about going against a potential buzzsaw.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Are we thinking of it doing well by the standards of giant tentpole comic book blockbusters, or by the standard of awards season gritty crime thrillers?

By virtue of it having a festival run, it has to be the latter.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know what the budget is on Joker but it can't be much.  I think it's going to do well in that I think it's going to turn a nice profit. 

Unless Will Smith's box office power was also duplicated in Gemini Man and Ang Lee was reminded of how to make a good film again, Joker has a very good chance of being #1 for two weeks straight at the box office. There have been flops that have been #1 at the box office but with how many films these studios are cranking out, it's hard to backdoor your way into that nowadays. Mediocre/bad reviews could make it frontloaded, but it also works the other way and could extend its run. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah I was talking about Joker not 21 Bridges 

JT is/was confused.

Joachim may go apeshit in this movie and surprise you guys in a good way..

I think this Making Of A Psycho thing will generate a good bit of cash on DC Fanboyism and morbid curiosity alone, but I also believe the problem with the whole premise of a Joker origin movie is that it will be so nihilistic and depressing  that no one will be able to enjoy it.

I think that there are people out there that really want this movie to be good.  They don't want Jared Leto's Joker to be the definitive one in this DCU given how Heath Ledger was a force of fucking nature in TDK.

They want Joachim to bring the Nolanverse Joker to the DCU.  We'll see if he succeeds but like Elsa said, his performance is already generating Oscar buzz.

Edited by J.T.

The Hunt

I am putting this here because, despite being a Blumhouse film, it is being billed as a action thriller

Starring Betty Gilpin, Hillary Swank, Emma Roberts and others

Trailer seems to give away a lot of the climax of the film