DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

The trailer for The Hunt was attached to Crawl.  I saw it when I took my kid to watch and enjoy that killer alligator joint.

It belongs here and not in the Horror Thread.  As you say, it's being billed as an action thriller.

It is really funny how you adapt The Most Dangerous Game in such a manner that it can either be a actioner or a horror joint.

It is also interesting to note the growing number of class-based thriller / horror films coming out where rich people are either hunting poor people, paying to watch them die violently, or engaging in crazy ass social experiments is becoming more a thing (The Purge franchise, The Belko Experiment, Escape Room, Unfriended:  Dark Web, ad nauseum).

Class warfare has always been a traditional horror and speculative fiction staple, but it is funny how the current political climate seems to drive the train and inspires studios to pump out films like that on the regular.

Edited by J.T.

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The Irishman (2019).

This was...not what I was expecting...

Also, no classic rock song used? And the de-aging effects on Pesci and DeNiro look weird.

Edited by Craig H

That is some not-great de-aging, true.  They also committed the cardinal sin of de-aging and used DeNiro as the body, rather than getting a younger person.  He runs like an old man in that one shot, totally brings you out of the moment.  IDK, I hate to say it looks like a cutscene, but it's real close to being that quality.

• Like 1

Little Monsters

Lupita Nyong'o, Josh Gad

Not to be confused with the Fred Savage, Howie Mandel movie

And since I don't consider Shaun of the Dead Horror, I don't consider this horror either

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Maybe it's just me but I don't notice the de-aging at all. If I had a before-and-after type tutorial then I'm sure I wouldn't be able to not see it, though. 

It does look a bit cutscene-ish, but I didn't mind it really especially considering Martin spent so much time on it. It's either going to look great or not so great. He was at least a bit transparent that he was having trouble with the entire process.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Little Monsters

Lupita Nyong'o, Josh Gad

Not to be confused with the Fred Savage, Howie Mandel movie

And since I don't consider Shaun of the Dead Horror, I don't consider this horror either

I love it how I have bitched about scary shit not being posted in the Horror Film thread for so long that one of two things happen:

1. The original poster cross posts the trailer in both this thread and the Horror Movie thread.
  2. Original poster comes up with a litany of logic as to why this particular trailer doesn't belong in the Horror Movie thread.

I think my favorite is that "It's really a (action / comedy / drama) movie that just HAPPENS to have horror elements in it.

For the record, I agree.  This is a black comedy just like Shaun of the Dead.  No need to cross post it.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For the record I specifically do it so you wouldn't bitch... and you still do.

I am shaking my cane at you.

But you expect me to bitch.  If I didn't, you'd think something was wrong with me.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sam Mendes makes beautiful films. 

The two that Conrad Hall (who was a genius) shot at amongst the best looking movies I've ever seen, especially Road to Perdition.

• Like 1

FYI, Christopher Nolan stealth released the trailer for Tenet in front of Hobbs and Shaw. It's not available on the internet yet. From descriptions, it sounds like it involves time travel and it stars John David Washington.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dune has been moved back a month and will now come out Dec 18, 2020

That means (assuming all these other movies haven't changed) on that day the following movies are coming out

• Dune
  • West Side Story
  • Coming to America 2
  • Uncharted

Butler beat out Ansel Elgort (Baby Driver), Miles Teller (Top Gun: Maverick), and Harry Styles (Dunkirk), who were all in contention for the lead role in the Elvis biopic. Butler recently made his Broadway debut in Eugene O’Neill’s 2019 The Iceman Cometh, playing opposite Denzel Washington and was met with critical acclaim Other projects include Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Dead Don’t Die, and several TV series including Arrow, The Shannara Chronicles, and Life Unexpected.