DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

This is something I brought up with a friend, but I don't think its worth a whole thread.  What are some spots that you didn't realize were crazy when they happened, but went back and watched and realized they were insane?  I think #1 for me is Taka Michinoku's Spaceman Plancha.  For someone to run to build up speed, jump high enough to land on the top rope, pause, and then dive to the outside, takes a crazy amount of athleticism, balance, and balls.  It may be the most impressive signature dive in history when you take into account athleticism, difficulty, and danger. 

I'm watching a Michinoku Pro comp right now, and if Taka had come around 20 years later, he'd be one of the biggest names in the business. It's ridiculous how good he was in his prime.

23 hours ago, Swiftian said:

My random thought: Would it make business sense for WWE to unload a bunch of junk onto the market right now in the knowledge that AEW need to bulk up their roster? If WWE release, say, guys like the Colons, B-Team, Mojo Rawley and other guys of that level, it's possible that AEW would pick them up thereby spending money on guys who may not get over and therefore would actually be a waste of money (although Khan probably has deep pockets) and time. AEW probably has to be careful on who they pick up in the future so they don't get hit with a 'WWE cast-offs' label.

I don't think that this would make business sense for WWE in the least, simply because again- that can blow up in their face in a few distinct ways:

1) Guys like The Colons/Curtis Axel are actually important for the WWE right now, since they are very talented, and every fan is quite aware they're talented...and yet they're not over, not gonna BE over. Those are like gold to the WWE- they're perfect carpenters and gatekeepers for the roster, but they're not going to be over, so there's no chance of the fans saying "You HAVE to push these guys! Don't you see how TALENTED they are? If you don't push them, the only thing you hate more than money is seeing the fans just be happy!"

2) The fact we're in the NXT era and names like Bo Dallas/Mojo Rawley/The Ascension are falling there is proof that even if WWE makes cuts on that level, there's guys who'd make WWE regret it. Shit, NXT was so white-hot even Bull Dempsey and the Legionnaires flirted with indy runs, and those guys were terrible. EVEN THOSE GUYS would probably get huge outside WWE with their NXT cred getting them indy dates.

3) This assumes AEW would WANT all of these castoffs. The "flood the market with low level guys" only works if AEW takes the bait.

If AEW does, you make AEW look like a second-rate WWE knockoff with no-name WWE workers.

If AEW DOESN'T? WWE just did AEW a favor on the opposite side:

The incredible deluge of talented gatekeepers and NXT-credibility workers would not be taken by AEW...but literally EVERY INDIE in the world would. The castoffs would be picked up on indie dates to the point that when no competes die, you'd choke out the indies for at least 6 months, if not the rest of the year.  EVERY indie promotion worth their salt would bring those workers in at least once, it'd basically dictate the indie main event for 2019.

In the process, you've just arrested the development of the next wave of top indie superstars, in the process holding them back to the point that they don't get enough buzz to be big NXT signings, while ALSO having them so held back that AEW can pick and choose from that level of rising indie stars and get them before WWE gets them, and by getting them before WWE, getting them CHEAPER than they would have without that deluge.

Far from killing AEW, a WWE firing would STRENGTHEN AEW and hobble WWE.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

In the process, you've just arrested the development of the next wave of top indie superstars, in the process holding them back to the point that they don't get enough buzz to be big NXT signings, while ALSO having them so held back that AEW can pick and choose from that level of rising indie stars and get them before WWE gets them, and by getting them before WWE, getting them CHEAPER than they would have without that deluge.

You're giving Bo Dallas a lot of credit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Oh my God...

You’d be surprised how many people grew up on wrestling, and internet wrestling specifically, that know how to speak carny. Like some people I’ve worked with let out a “Sell”, or “worked” casually in front of me like I wouldn’t notice. 

Don't you just love people who take ten minutes to say something you could easily express in 30 seconds? Especially when they bring in examples that have nothing to do with the point they're making, get sidetracked by explaining the example and then forget what it is they're actually talking aboot.

The question was, how did morality shift from just being whatever the strongest person said, to modern morality with it's concepts of good and evil? The answer he ended up giving was that physical strength is an unreliable, impermanent way of maintaining political power, so people in power invent systems of behaviour control (such as religion and morality) as a way of holding power without having to actually physically fight for it. But he was carny as fuck. And he only mentioned Bret as being an example of a hero archetype.

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

Don't you just love people who take ten minutes to say something you could easily express in 30 seconds? Especially when they bring in examples that have nothing to do with the point they're making, get sidetracked by explaining the example and then forget what it is they're actually talking aboot.

The question was, how did morality shift from just being whatever the strongest person said, to modern morality with it's concepts of good and evil? The answer he ended up giving was that physical strength is an unreliable, impermanent way of maintaining political power, so people in power invent systems of behaviour control (such as religion and morality) as a way of holding power without having to actually physically fight for it. But he was carny as fuck. And he only mentioned Bret as being an example of a hero archetype.

Clean your room, bucko.

All the news and speculation out there about who is going where take with a grain of salt. Even if some are unhappy with WWE they probably aren't going to be released so really these reports don't mean much.  WWE hasn't released people unless they are low end of NXT tryouts or they were complete shit heads (Cass, Enzo).  

• Like 1

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned additional details on what led to The Revival requesting their releases this week from WWE.

In case you missed it, Bodyslam.net first reported Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson made the request following their match on Raw and Fightful reported that there was fear The Revival were on the way out of the company. 

Sources tell us the tag team’s decision to ask for their releases was based on how little time and respect the division is given. We’re told the duo is frustrated about the lack of promos, backstage segments and direction of the division. Not just for themselves, but the entire division … such as the tag match on Monday being used as a cutaway segment. 

One source also pointed to The Club being an afterthought on TV after coming to WWE as a major signing and Authors of Pain being absent from television not long after their debut as additional examples. 

We’re told the The Revival’s feelings on the subject boiled over on Monday after the tag team champions Bobby Roode/Chad Gable weren’t even featured on the show, so they asked WWE officials for their release. At this point, the request has been denied. 

Our sources say there’s been additional communication between the two sides since Monday, but it’s unclear if anything has been resolved. 

Also worth noting, one source says The Revival have a “decent amount of time” left on their contracts. 

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/revival-request-wwe-releases/#.XEOfdlVKjRZ