DVDVR Message Board

Which shows deserved a more proper ending?

JMFabiano

Over at the BOD, there have been numerous topics regarding best/worst finales.  But there are many shows that didn't get a proper sendoff.  What are your biggest examples?

I'd have to go into the game show realm and pick Match Game, and especially the Gene Rayburn version.  Only because when it ended, you'd think the episode would be the party to end all parties.  But no, both the CBS and syndicated version just fizzled out.  And actually, only the Ross Shafer version actually got to say goodbye in some way. 

Many of my favorite classic Britcoms never had a definite end too, really.  Ab Fab had several (which leads to an additional subject...which series had good endings before the ending?????) 

Ab Fab had several (which leads to an additional subject...which series had good endings before the ending?????) 

Although it would have left some loose ends plot wise with Willow, and it's well known that season 6 is my favorite thing ever, the season 5 finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer absolutely could have been an ultra depressing but excellent series finale.

I believe fowler and i have argued about this before, but i think buffy should have ended after high school graduation.

I know there was good stuff afterward, but , to me, Buffy as an analogy for high school, should end with graduation. Maybe make a new series that continues with college. I feel if it were a british show, thats what would have happened.

Deadwood comes to mind first for me.

I'm in the minority on this one, but FlashForward. ABC pulled the plug on it after ordering up a full season, and the ending was really abrupt. Knowing what happens in the novel makes me wish FlashForward had a proper ending.

Terriers is another. One season wasn't enough and there was so much left dangling at the end of the season/series.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go head and pencil in Law & Order: SVU.  I gave up on it after they wouldn't give Chris Meloni his money and replaced Stabler with two cops i couldn't care less about.  Teasing him coming to save Benson in the season premiere last week and him going along with it on Twitter all day was good tv, until he actually didn't show up at all.

I actually liked the District and had no idea why CBS cancelled it.  My Dad loved Walker, Texas Ranger and the District was a great lead in for it.  A decent way to bond for 2 hours on a Saturday night as a kid.  Craig T. Nelson was awesome in that show.

The Hughleys for the relatively short amount of time it was on TV was actually very good and the fact that the Final two episodes ended with Milsap adjusting to having a four year old daughter I felt the show needed another season and by the way Season 4 ended they most of thought they were getting picked up.

DEXTER

...I mean geez, it's weeks later and I'm still pissed off. 

The responses have largely split into two groups: Shows That Were Cancelled Abruptly and Completed Shows (Complete With Shitty Ending).  Maybe we should each name two.  For an example of the other category, I'll go with Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles

Seinfeld will always come to mind. My favorite show maybe ever. So many classic moments and episodes and outstanding performances. I can't think of how it should have ended.. I just can't get behind half of it being clips and the other half surrounding the weird Good Samaritan Law.

For the love of God, Southland.  The season ends on a major cliffhanger involving the main character and.....the series gets canceled.  SCREW YOU, TNT.

I was going to mention Models, Inc - yeah, I watched it when it was on, shoot me - but then I found out that they actually filmed a finale for it and showed it on E! during reruns.

ALF didn't get one in its original run but they did a movie to tie things up later.

You're not the only one who watched MODELS INC... What was the finale?

I'll second MY NAME IS EARL. I don't know whether to add ALCATRAZ or not, since it really needed at least a whole second season. Fuck you, FOX.