DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

More Netflix stuff for Tabe:

The War Zone - Yeah, this sucked.  Another movie in love with itself and very, very little plot.  Also lots of half-mumbling/indistinct speaking, which drives me nuts.  Decent cast with Tilda Swinton and Ray Winstone, both of whom are completely wasted in this.  Basically, Winstone is molesting/raping his daughter and his son, who's apparently also fooling around with his sister, doesn't like it and then

films him raping her, confronts him, and kills him.  And then the movie ends.

.  At least it was a short movie.  2/10.

It's a Disaster - I've had a thing for Julia Stiles since Save the Last Dance.  Can't really explain it.  She ain't the hottest girl on the planet.  She ain't the best actress on the planet.  That movie is more of a guilty pleasure than any kind of great cinema and, still, I somehow have a thing for her.  Anyway, earlier in this thread someone recommended It's a Disaster so I decided to give it a shot.  Basic idea is that several couples gather for a Sunday brunch and all is normal until the TV, phone, and internet all go out.  And then the neighbor comes over and tells them there's been some kind of nerve gas attack downtown and basically the world is going to end.  The couples hole up in the house and basically wait out their fate.  This is a dark comedy with several very funny moments.  Liked this one a lot.  7.5/10.

Been watching a lot of Woody Allen films this past year or two. One thing I've noticed, though maybe someone else knows better, is that there are no black or Asian characters. I mean, I can't even recall a bit part. Anyone got any examples from movies I haven't seen?

Been watching a lot of Woody Allen films this past year or two. One thing I've noticed, though maybe someone else knows better, is that there are no black or Asian characters. I mean, I can't even recall a bit part. Anyone got any examples from movies I haven't seen?

Does What's Up Tiger Lily count?

McBride is a blazing fireball blasting its way through the film, Craig is the chocolate gooey center holding the whole thing together.

Posted Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nuh uh. Look at Craig Robinson and tell me he doesn't look like a delicious chocolate truffle.

Posted Image

I was pretty disappointed by The Bride of Frankenstein.  I like the first 'Frankenstein' but I found this one rather annoying.  I mean, all the stuff with Frankenstein and his bride are is awesome, but the guy with the tiny people in jars?!  The annoying harpy housekeeper who won't shut up?! And it takes so long to get going, then it finally does and just as it gets interesting...it's over.  Disappointed.

I've only just gotten around to watching the Dawn of the Dead remake. First ten minutes is amazing, The rest of it...not so much.

Why are people so into the zombie thing anyway? Is it the idea that the whole world goes to hell and the remaining survivors can just chill out at the mall, use all the free stuff and randomly shoot dead people when they get bored?

So here's the first movie I saw at the Chicago International Film Festival: BLUEBIRD

I wrote a little essay about it here: http://jaekrenfrow.blogspot.com/2013/10/from-ciff-2013-bluebird-edmands-2013.html

Amy Morton plays the bus driver, who you may remember as the mom from Rookie of the Year. She gives a hella great performance in this. I was also mesmerized by Louisa Krause who plays the mother of the boy on the bus. She's some one to look out for, I think. The cinematographer is the same cat who did Martha Marcy May Marlene, so if you dug the look of that you'll dig the look of this. The director said they'll be getting a distribution deal but it won't be in the US until sometime next year. So keep it on your watchlist.

Maybe you guys can help me find out the name of a movie. It was a pretty generic people on the run from the mob movie but the guy who played the last hitman put in a performance that didn't match the rest of the movie because it was THAT good and he was only in the movie for like ten minutes. I remember him being something like the love child of Ray Wise and Paulie Walnuts.

I was pretty disappointed by The Bride of Frankenstein.  I like the first 'Frankenstein' but I found this one rather annoying.  I mean, all the stuff with Frankenstein and his bride are is awesome, but the guy with the tiny people in jars?!  The annoying harpy housekeeper who won't shut up?! And it takes so long to get going, then it finally does and just as it gets interesting...it's over.  Disappointed.

I'm with caley on this one, I don't understand why people think Bride is the superior film.  What does it do better than the first?  It's got way too much odious comic relief, always the very worst part of every Universal horror flick from this era.  And he's right about it prematurely blowing its wad on the ending, in which they have the setup for more story but just drop it in a sudden Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies moment.  

Tron: Legacy is on TV right now. This is probably my favourite film to look at. (And listen to, but Daft Punk is my favourite band, so...)

I just want to live on the Grid so much. Even though I own the 3D Blu Ray, I will still watch this all the way through.