DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

He was doing a Little Richard gimmick, so I think most people just came to the conclusion that he was also black.  I don't think his race was ever discussed on the air at the time.

EDIT: Didn’t see BP’s post  Regardless, here is a terrifying photo of JBB from the WCW comic  

WCW+10+part+2.jpg

• Haha 2

Going back to the Sid thing, I watched a clip of an interview with him, and he was talking about working a triple threat match with Shawn and Bret. He said that in the lockerroom before the match he and Shawn were coming up with all these good ideas for the match, and all Bret's ideas were terrible. And then he said during the match Bret was completely lost, and he and Shawn had to hold it together.

I don't think I put much stock into what Sid says.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Going back to the Sid thing, I watched a clip of an interview with him, and he was talking about working a triple threat match with Shawn and Bret. He said that in the lockerroom before the match he and Shawn were coming up with all these good ideas for the match, and all Bret's ideas were terrible. And then he said during the match Bret was completely lost, and he and Shawn had to hold it together.

I don't think I put much stock into what Sid says.

Did they actually even ever have a triple threat? They were pretty rare still in WWF at the time.

Comic book JBB looks like demonic transvestite clown.  I kinda think that that's what the clown from Spawn looks like in a speedo.

I didn't discover Mero was white until long after he retired, but it wasn't until the mid-2000's.  There are some really odd gaps in my knowledge where I should have been clued in to something because I was reading the Observer and other dirt sheets early on, but still got some wrong-headed idea and didn't discover till way too late that I was wrong.  It's only been in the past 3-4 years that I bothered to google Big Show and realize that he is not related to Andre.  For some reason, I assumed the WCW bit about him being Andre's son was true.  There's also a post on some old version of the board where I set someone straight about Trevor Murdoch being Dick Murdoch's son by explaining he was actually Dusty's son.  Sigh.  I thought he was Cody and Dustin's half-brother.  I don't even remember where I got that idea.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Comic book JBB looks like demonic transvestite clown.  I kinda think that that's what the clown from Spawn looks like in a speedo.

You nailed it 100%. That image is going to give me nightmares.

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Did they actually even ever have a triple threat? They were pretty rare still in WWF at the time.

I can’t bother looking it up, but was this the dark match from the Skydome Raw in early ‘97? I know Shawn and Bret were involved in something from that night. 

6 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Watching some of Miz's terrific  promos from 2010. 

I forgot that "invisible GM" angle. Ugh. Also, the Lawler feud was so contrived. And there's no winning a feud like that for a young champ. If he loses, he lost to an old man. If we wins, he beat up an old man. 

They should have gave Lawler a one day title reign. That was a very crystalying moment in realizing WWE will never do anything resembling a risk. 

28 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I can’t bother looking it up, but was this the dark match from the Skydome Raw in early ‘97? I know Shawn and Bret were involved in something from that night. 

They did Bret vs Shawn vs Sid, they had pics in Raw magazine. I don't know why they did not do it on TV. The week before they were promising to show the Rumble match in a bait and switch. They ended up showing clips of the match. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I probably thought Low Ki was black when I first got into indy wrestling.

At King of the Indies 2001, I sat near a couple of Asian kids (about 13) who were cheering for Low Ki because they thought he was Asian. I'd have let that go, but another dude pointed out he wasn't. 

So they decided to cheer for Super Dragon instead

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I just remember one of the legendary Cactus Jack anti-hardcore promos where he talks about the magic of WCW "Where a tough Jewish kid from Brooklyn becomes a black man from Macon, Georgia."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I thought Mero was black right up until I was running that theme music tournament here. The Johnny B Badd theme drew the 2 Cold Scorpio theme in the first round, and I said something like 'here's a battle between two black WCW midcarders'. And someone commented 'what? Mero's not black', and someone else replied 'I'm pretty sure he's making a joke'. And I was like 'yeah.... a joke'. You should be able to take a man at his skin colour.

I do feel better knowing that actual black people also thought he was black.

• Haha 1