DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

13 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

I had never heard of Jon Davis

Besides FIP, Davis has worked for ROH, Evolve, and Dragon Gate USA. He and Kory Chavis are known as the Dark City Fight Club. They're former NWA World and NWA Florida tag team champions.

5 hours ago, Edwin said:

Should this be good? Not familiar with either guy...

It should be good. Not Fenix/Pentagon good but I like both guys and looking forward to the match. That card on Thursday is stacked, almost too stacked. Gonna be a long night. Hope I can make it.

On 2/4/2018 at 5:34 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Besides FIP, Davis has worked for ROH, Evolve, and Dragon Gate USA. He and Kory Chavis are known as the Dark City Fight Club. They're former NWA World and NWA Florida tag team champions.

He has been fun to watch in Pro Wrestling EGO. The fans love him and he was the Federated champion for a long time. 

Bayou Independent Wrestling presents The Rematch

Feb 3rd 2018 Brookhaven Mississippi Lincoln County Civic Center

BIW Southern Champ The Ring Wrecker Vordell Walker vs Steve Anthony.

5 years ago BIW started running Brookhaven. Steve cut a promo about common core math,i think it was math,and got the kids chanting U GUNNA GIT IT at him. He played it up and each show for the next 2 years when steve walked out he got the chant. Then BIW took a almost 3 year hiatus. The kids that were heckling him are teens and front row for the match that BIW has been building for 3 years.

• Like 1

Since I got burned out and stopped following wrestling from around 2006 - 2015 I might as well ask:

1. What was the idea behind Dragon Gate USA?
  2. Why did they close?
  3. What was the idea behind EVOLVE opening?
  4. Why hasn't Low Ki worked there regularly?
  5. What was the WWN China tour?
  6. When was the WWN title founded?
  7. Is Dave Prazak still behind SHIMMER?
  8. If so; why did he open SHINE too?
  9. If SHINE is affiliated to WWN, why isn't SHIMMER too?

1. Dragon Gate USA was supposed to be a US expansion of Dragon Gate.  It started out using the D-Gate roster and added some US talent that didn't regularly travel to Japan.  

2. Dragon Gate stopped sending guys over when Gabe started running EVOLVE and merged the 2 promotions.  Without the Japanese D-Gate talent, it was just an EVOLVE show with different belts.  

3. EVOLVE was basically Gabe trying RoH v2 with emphasis on rules and win/loss records and trying to present it as a legit sport in the Japan style.   Running the 2 promotions was taxing so Gabe merged them, but D-Gate stopped sending talent over regularly, so eventually D-Gate USA closed and EVOLVE kept going, eventually pairing up with WWE.

4. Because Ki is a pain in the ass to work with and no one puts up with his shit for long, even if they grant him a (I think most places are up to 4) 4th chance.

5 Exactly what it says on the Tin . A bunch of WWN affiliated promotions in 2014 did a tour of China.

6. November 23, 2016, with Riddle winning it in April 1 2017.

7. Yes

8. He didn't.

9 Because they're run by different people, SHIMMER is linked to RoH, SHINE with WWN.

WALTER vs. ZSJ from EVOLVE 99 was indy-tastic fun. I was burnt out by the end as they just went all out from the get-go. WALTER bullying ZSJ around was great and ZSJ stuff looked a lot less exhibition-y than the norm. Def. not a match for anyone, but a fun one if you dig the modern indy stuff.

I would say it's pretty unique from modern indie wrestling though because it's built up around vicious strikes and suplexes with a little bit of mat wrestling in there. Sure, it's go, go, go from the bell but nothing looks overly contrived, which is one of indie wrestling's main weaknesses in my opinion. They had a very similar match with better crowd heat in PWG prior to that one.