DVDVR Message Board

2018 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

5 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Pro Wrestling Revolver booked Lucha Bros vs Teddy Hart & Jack Evans for Mania weekend.

Basically in a span of under 24 hours, I'm going to be seeing WALTER vs. Darby Allin, Janela vs. Sasuke, and Lucha Bros vs. Teddy & Jack, all live.  Is it possible to OD on pro wrestling?

It felt like I OD'ed on pro wrestling when catching up on these shows on Floslam, had take a break for a couple days afterwards.  I can only imagine how it's gonna be when I go there this year.  My friends want to do New Orleans stuff like cemetery tours so not sure how much I'll be able to catch.  But Joey Janella's show sounds wacky enough that we have to see it.

Well that is the thing about WM weekend now is that the glut of show is so awful now that you have to either miss shows you probably, visit things REALLY early in the day, or extend your vacation for a couple days.  I know last year a number of people went to Orlando on Monday or Tuesday.   As of now indies are not booking show on the Monday or Tuesday after WM but that isn't going to last

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

if ever a match was meant to be ON Bourbon Street during WM weekend it is Joey Janela vs Great Sasuke 

I was totally content not going to a "Midnight" Wrestling Show.  The Michinoku Pro and Sausuke fan in me is now figuring out how I m going to make this work while I am in New Orleans.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well that is the thing about WM weekend now is that the glut of show is so awful now that you have to either miss shows you probably, visit things REALLY early in the day, or extend your vacation for a couple days.  I know last year a number of people went to Orlando on Monday or Tuesday.   As of now indies are not booking show on the Monday or Tuesday after WM but that isn't going to last

The wife and I are doing the standard touristy stuff at the beginning of the week.  I am definitely going to try and avoid the Pro-Wrestling glut and overdose of too much wrestling too soon.

• Like 1

It's hilarious how Gabe one year was "hey there's more wrestling fans in town during Mania than any other time, let's run a full weekend of ROH shows" and now there are like a dozen shows every year in town.

The indie wrestling boom is real yo

On 1/30/2018 at 9:25 AM, S.K.o.S. said:

Pro Wrestling Revolver booked Lucha Bros vs Teddy Hart & Jack Evans for Mania weekend.

Basically in a span of under 24 hours, I'm going to be seeing WALTER vs. Darby Allin, Janela vs. Sasuke, and Lucha Bros vs. Teddy & Jack, all live.  Is it possible to OD on pro wrestling?

Pancakes and Piledrivers was the best event I attended last year during WM weekend.

Also, no. It's not possible to OD on live wrestling during WM weekend.

Last year I attended EVOLVE, CHIKARA, Pancakes and Piledrivers,  ROH and WM and it left me wishing I had taken the days off from work and attended more events. Out of the bunch, ROH was by far the worse/very uninteresting/boring.

20 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Out of the bunch, ROH was by far the worse/very uninteresting/boring.

Last year ROH seemed to want to treat it as just another house show, other than the Hardy's ladder match. Then they got their biggest crowd in history. This year they seem much more interested in actually building it as a major show.

On 1.1.2018 at 2:02 PM, RIPPA said:

Announced for the 2018 wXw 16 Carat Gold so far

They announced pretty much the remainder of the field on the last two episodes of Shotgun, so the tournament is looking like this now (last four are the new announcements):

• Matt Sydal
  • Matt Riddle
  • Jurn Simmons
  • Jonah Rock
  • Avalanche
  • Keith Lee
  • Travis Banks
  • Chris Brookes
  • Mark Haskins
  • David Starr
  • Da Mack
  • Absolute Andy
  • Timothy Thatcher
  • Alexander James

Last two spots will be determined in a qualifying match between Ivan Kiev and Lucky Kid and a qualifying tournament at the end of February. Also WALTER will challenge Bad Bones for the wXw Championship in the main event of Night 2. I would expect either Marius Al-Ani or Mike Bailey to win the qualifying tournament, very surprised that either one of them won't be in the tournament. I was also hoping for one last big announcement at the end there (possibly a Puro guy, since they had Kanemoto last year), but can't complain. Still a pretty damn good field.

I am not sad that the 5 Star Wrestling thing happening right now is a full blown disaster.

They are running an 11,000 seat arena and have maybe - MAYBE - 400 people there and that is with a lot of papering.

Went to FIP tonight in Ybor city. Fun show was an awesome Darby Allin vs Jon Davis match where Darby almost dies multiple times and a crazy brawl between the hooligans and the End(Parrow and Odison). This show was a reboot of sorts of the FIP brand after the failed Sami and Friends era. Austin Theory is the FIP champ and he's gotten his look down straight and had a good match with Martin Stone.

23 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

Went to FIP tonight in Ybor city. Fun show was an awesome Darby Allin vs Jon Davis match where Darby almost dies multiple times and a crazy brawl between the hooligans and the End(Parrow and Odison). This show was a reboot of sorts of the FIP brand after the failed Sami and Friends era. Austin Theory is the FIP champ and he's gotten his look down straight and had a good match with Martin Stone.

I had never heard of Jon Davis or Odinson until Pro Wrestling EGO,run the Jackson MS area,started using them. 

Hit Bayou Independent Wrestling's The Rematch show tonight. 3 years ago the match was booked and then BIW took a hiatus. So tonight we got BIW Southern Champion Vordell Ringwrecker Walker vs Steve Exclamation Point Anthony in the main event. Rest of the show was more than worth the 10 bucks tickets cost. Drew 250 people during a cold as hell rainy night. Will put a few matches soon in the 2018 indy match thread.

I did ask Vordell before the show if he knew about DVDVR. "What's a Death Valley Driver Video Review?" was his answer. They are coming back in May might get a pic of him and a DVDVR cover printout or something odd like that.

4 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

I did ask Vordell before the show if he knew about DVDVR. "What's a Death Valley Driver Video Review?" was his answer. They are coming back in May might get a pic of him and a DVDVR cover printout or something odd like that.

Boy - you really know how to hurt a guy

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, just out of curiosity, do they actually serve pancakes at Pancakes and Piledrivers?

I am 99% sure the answer is yes

Like if I remember correctly - there was a pancake station set up and during one of the matches they almost brawled into it

Just finished Progress Chapter 62.  Brutal, brutal main event.  When he gets going, there's no human being on the planet that I buy going over WALTER.

This also made me regret that we'll never have a WALTER vs Morishima match-up where both men paste each other until it looks like a Cronenberg scene.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, just out of curiosity, do they actually serve pancakes at Pancakes and Piledrivers?

Yes, but don't you'll get 1 - 2 max and they will do a ton of spots centered around piles of pancakes.