DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess we know who to thank for how good the story in the game might be. And prob lots of the references. 

I love that, per earlier tweets, he THINKS he wrote all JJJ's radio rants but isn't positive (because that's how games writing works, sigh)

Is Spidey worth it? Probably gonna get it sometime next week. And also I think I have too much time on my hands. So I bought that Mega Man X legacy collection and just started on that. But to my surprise, it went bad. Like I've never played bad. So I yell out( probably waking some of the house in the process)"This is unacceptable!" So I dug out the snes, and started playing on there and flew threw it like it 10th grade all over again. The only thing I can think of is it's kinda awkward playing these games with the ps4 controller.

7 minutes ago, Black Angel said:

Is Spidey worth it? Probably gonna get it sometime next week. And also I think I have too much time on my hands. So I bought that Mega Man X legacy collection and just started on that. But to my surprise, it went bad. Like I've never played bad. So I yell out( probably waking some of the house in the process)"This is unacceptable!" So I dug out the snes, and started playing on there and flew threw it like it 10th grade all over again. The only thing I can think of is it's kinda awkward playing these games with the ps4 controller.

"worth it" is kind of hard to quantify since everyone has their own definition.  I've probably gotten more silly joy out of it than any full-price game I bought in 2017 (I think it's the first AAA full-price game I've bought in 2018).  Is it worth $60 to you to get a pretty good 15-20 hr Spidey story with lots of villains, plus a bunch of extraneous shit where you just swing across Manhattan and dick around?  Everything feels good, it's fun, but it's probably not going to occupy people for as long as Spidey 2 on PS2/GCN/Xbox OG did just because the random side bullshit is more self-contained and shorter per session, and there are fewer extra tricks to pile on your basic swing if you're just zipping around town (it's really nice traversal, but lacks that extra 10 percent that makes it feel less like traversal than a sport unto itself).

• Thanks 1

I'm locked in to what I'm playing right now. Lot of good games getting overlooked cause I got a TRIO of beauties to love upon. Suikoden is pure old-school JRPG good times with a surprising amount of Quality-of-Life features (fast travel, AI battle commands, reasonable exp scaling, etc.), Gravity Rush on VITA is the most fun I've had fucking around in an open world in awhile, and frikken CHIBI-ROBO! for Gamecube has to be one of the most critically overlooked joyfests I've ever stumbled upon. It's currently retailing around $60 complete and I don't think I wasted a penny. It's like Katamari meets the-game-I-wish-Pikmin-was meets something vaguely proto-open-worldish with a weirdly deep story that's plastered in Japanese cuteness only to hide some heavy domestic turmoil-slash-goofy sci fi plot stuff that really adds an extra layer of gravity to the proceedings. It's outright great, its fatal flaw was that it exhibits its greatness in a leisurely and off-kilter way. 

Spidey's gonna be twenty bucks in a year. I'll see ya then.

18 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Gravity Rush on VITA is the most fun I've had fucking around in an open world in awhile

Gravity Rush is so fucking good.  It's kind of a headache to learn, but once you do it's frigging amazing. I totally understand why they remade it for PS4 and why the sequel was PS4-only, but after playing it on Vita I honestly can't imagine playing it without a touchscreen

I bought Spider-Man for myself, but my son watched some gameplay online and asked to come over from his mom's a day early to play. I've barely touched it but luckily it has separate game save files so he's got his going and I'll eventually get back to mine. 

It got me thinking to how other games technically have separate saves but there's easily a ton of confusion since they're not "slotted" or renameable or anything, so odds are always high that somebody's gonna fuck up and save over the wrong file. I'll never understand why some games just don't have alotted save game slots so yeah, glad to see it in Spider-Man.

I took a leap in proficiency at the combat; I started the game in Spectacular rather than Amazing, so it took a handful of hours. Now I feel like this game is in that rare air of great games in general. It's so good. The fluidity of motion is just impressive, and everything feels comfortable, including the transition from traversal into combat as well as traversal and combat on their own.

My only minor complaint, and there might be a way to address this in the options somewhere, is that I wish that I could switch between gadgets/web shooters seamlessly without having to hold L1 down and choose while the action slows down. It breaks the flow of the combat to do that, especially early on when I don't have many upgrades available for, say, the impact shooter and I only have three shots before having to switch back to the regular web shooter. That sort of switching and breaking of the flow of combat happens a bit too often for me. 

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had more fun watching an action game on twitch than Spider-Man. I find the story really engaging and overall well done, the slower non-Spider-Man sequences don't overstay their welcome and move the plot along, it's just great watching Spider-Man web around the city, and some of the action sequences are just straight up crazy. Like, I've always been kind of disappointed in the Spider-Man movies never really quite getting where I wanted them to. This game pulled it off because it has a much larger canvas to work with.

I don't get why the secret shrines in Octopath Traveler have higher level requirements than the final chapters of all the characters. Maybe if they didn't have bonus jobs unlocked with them, sure, but I'm not going to be able to beat them until after I beat the game and what purpose do they serve at that point?

It's been about 10 years I want to say since I beat FF3/6 but I remember the characters being a hell of a lot more likeable in that game. The dialog and script in OT are huge steps down, but the gameplay is mostly very fun.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I'll give Spider-Man full credit for having my favorite version of Mary Jane I've seen in media.

Eh, she's kind of a dick. She lost me almost immediately in the auction house when her internal dialogue criticized Peter for staying hidden behind a mask instead of standing by his actions when, as an ace reporter, she surely depends on anonymous sources and should understand the value of anonymity. 

I think Pete can do better, honestly. He's a nice dude. See what Felicia or Gwen are up to (if the latter is still alive in this continuity). 

14 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I was thinking about finally getting around to Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction one of these days. Thoughts? Opinions? Declarations of irrationally intense feelings in either direction?

It rules incredibly hard and you should play it.

and now instead of attempting to yell at anyone, I bring you a dramatization of how I feel about the turn Sony's 1st party games have made recently.

"hey sony how's it going"
"VERY GOOD, WE ARE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED"
"oh yeah? for what?"
"EVERYONE LOVES 'DAD IS AFRAID OF NOT BEING GOOD PLUS MURDER'"
"oh"
"IT'S BROUGHT TO YOU BY MEN WHO REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT OUR INDUSTRY'S CRUNCH/BURNOUT DESPITE HAVING FAMILIES"
"that's weird, it seems incongruous to the entire point they're trying to make. does it have anything to say about the mothers? that is also part of raising a child"
"THEY ARE EITHER DEAD OR SMOTHERING SHREWS WITH PERFECT HOT UNSMEARABLE SMOKY EYES"
"tight. what else are you working on"
"PETER PARKER IS A COP NOW"
"what"
"YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDERMAN WORKS WITH THE NYPD"
"why have you done this"
"LOOK HOW EXCITED HE GETS BY TREATING DRUG DEALS WITH BRUTALITY"
"well, that is what a pig would do. sooooo it's an open world game? what are the towers"
"HI-TECH SPYING SYSTEM THAT YOU'RE REPAIRING THE SIGNAL TOWERS OF"
"...huh. didn't the NYPD just get caught actually doing that."
"TOTAL COINCIDENCE, NO REASON TO BE AFRAID, DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE IMPLYING"
"hey uh sorry I forgot I have a... swim... union meeting tomorrow. I gotta go."
"ALRIGHT SEE YOU NEXT YEAR FOR 'HIDEO KOJIMA SKIPPED THE PART OF TWIN PEAKS WHERE THE VICTIM GETS HUMANIZED' AND 'THE HAVE CAKE AND EAT IT TOO OF US'"
"for sure! fooooor sure"

thank you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

EVERYONE!  The Yakuza guys went and made a Private Eye Noir game in modern Japan and somehow did it in secret and I'm totally getting it!

Voyeur torture racks, undercover Draculas, and Pokemon Snap but instead of Pokemon it's perverts you're capturing on film. What else could you need for a great game?

• Like 1