DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The thought of Happy Hogan being at Aberdeen PG for Iron Man suit testing and then going to a MCW card in Joppa makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Happy all in the front row with a homemade Holy Rollers shirt.

• Like 1

Probably, but I only remember like 2 things about all of the MCW shows I watched and I couldn't figure out how to fit in a reference about the time one of the Baldies got his head gashed open by a trash can and bled everywhere.

• Like 2

Watched Thor Ragnarok again. Thinking about it, right, if you look at what the Asgardian population levels from the first 2 Thor movies, it looks like a pretty big city (Asgard is referred to as a planet, but it seems a lot more like a country, and a country with only one city in it). Anyway, Hela invades and suddenly the population is reduced from however many people (call it a million) to the few thousand or so in Heimdall's cave, most of whom then make it onto the evacuation ship. So the population has probably dropped by over 99% right there.

THEN Thanos invades the refugee transport and kills half the people on board, so the (for argument's sake) 4000 Asgardians who are left are reduced to 2000. THEN the snap happens and half of those 2000 say "All we are is dust in the wind, dude". So we've got a planet of a million people (that gets destroyed), and there's only one thousand survivors, assuming my estimates are about right. If Thanos' plan is to reduce populations by 50%, why is this one reduced by 99.9%?

6 hours ago, AxB said:

THEN Thanos invades the refugee transport and kills half the people on board, so the (for argument's sake) 4000 Asgardians who are left are reduced to 2000. THEN the snap happens and half of those 2000 say "All we are is dust in the wind, dude". So we've got a planet of a million people (that gets destroyed), and there's only one thousand survivors, assuming my estimates are about right. If Thanos' plan is to reduce populations by 50%, why is this one reduced by 99.9%?

The Snap does not take natural or unnatural attrition into account, or at least that is how it appears to work.  If half of a population dies in a war or is killed by a pandemic, the remaining half may still be reduced another 50% after the Snap. 

The Asgardians had the misfortune of being in possession of the Tessaract and Thanos murdered anyone who came in between him and the stone.  This does not leave the surviving population immune from further decimation after the Snap.

The Asgardians still made out better than the Xandarans.  We don't know how many of them died trying to keep Thanos from acquiring the Power Stone.  He may have devastated the entire planet and wiped out most of the Xandaran race.. 

That's 100% of the population dead, but not all of them were native Xandarans so that reduced the populations of the other non-Xandaran races that were possibly further cut in half after the Snap.

Also, any spacefaring Xandarans may still be out there in the galaxy or some other planet.  Not all Xandarans were on world when Thanos attacked.

Personally, I think that the Snap works on a weighted scale.  Reducing the population of the entire galaxy by 50% does not necessarily mean that the population of every sentient race in the galaxy has to be cut in half. 

The Asgardians may have been spared since there are so few of them left and more populous species may have borne the brunt of the eradication.

The Snap should hit the most populous species the hardest as well as any unique individuals from all but extinct races.

As far as we know, Eitri was the sole remaining Nidvallr Dwarf in existence so his chances of surviving the Snap were 50 / 50. 

If the cruel calculus was against you, the last remaining vestiges of your species and your culture turned to ash in an instant.

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I just feel bad for people far away and in no way related to the events of Infinity War who have no idea what happened.  Imagine you wake up on LV-426 or wherever and half your peeps are gone and you have no idea why, and likely will never know.

If you're waking up on LV-426 and half the population is gone, there's a pretty good chance you know what happened.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If you're waking up on LV-426 and half the population is gone, there's a pretty good chance you know what happened.

Or you are too busy avoiding being crushed to death by driverless ground vehicles or pilotless aircraft or starships (if your race has FTL travel) to care about what happened right that second.

That's kinda what was happening on Earth.  Unless you were in Wakanda, you didn't know what was going on, nor the stakes (well, unless you were Wong, then you knew).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I just feel bad for people far away and in no way related to the events of Infinity War who have no idea what happened.  Imagine you wake up on LV-426 or wherever and half your peeps are gone and you have no idea why, and likely will never know.

That's basically the Leftovers except that wasn't 50% of the population of the human race UNLESS there are more humans scattered across the universe and the people who disappeared in that show were part of the 50% of the human species. That's the thing I thought of the most. If I was out taking my daughter somewhere, we were having a good time, then all of a sudden she disappears, and I find out it was because of this giant purple guy? I'd want his head on a stake.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That's basically the Leftovers except that wasn't 50% of the population of the human race UNLESS there are more humans scattered across the universe and the people who disappeared in that show were part of the 50% of the human species. 

Religious beliefs taken into consideration, the difference between The Rapture from The Leftovers and The Snap from Infinity War, is that there are two very different states of being for those who are taken and those who are left behind..

You WANT to be a part of The Rapture because you're being spared the events of Revelations.  You're going to chill in Heaven while the rest of humanity faces judgment.  Your physical existence Is transcending to a better state.  You're going to the happy place..

You don't want to be a part of The Snap.  it is cold mathematics.  Some stay, some go.  No rhyme or reason and all instigated by a complete madman. Your physical existence is erased.  You're going inside of the Soul Gem... maybe...

100% of the people affected by the Rapture know what's up because it is part of their belief system.  .

99.99999% of the people affected by The Snap have no idea what's happening...

4 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Plus it seems likely that the 50% that died in the snap aren’t actually “dead”, so who knows what kind of limbo or purgatory they’re actually in.

Arguably they are all resident inside of the nether dimension contained within the Soul Gem.