DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Live's shake it up, 11th April 2017.

The Natural

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The big problem with Ziggler vs Nakamura is that Ziggler is terrible at compelling heel control segments and Nakamura's been most problematic in NXT in working from underneath. The upside is that Ziggler will bump huge for Nakamura which is sort of necessary as he gets established for the more general audience. Still, Nak was better suited against a more vulnerable heel. 

Very interesting assessment, and I don't know that I entirely disagree with any of it. Sometimes fire and ice just don't mix well. I would have predicted that Joe/Nak matches would have been off the charts good, and I would've been dead wrong. There's a million reasons, starting with Joe having become acclimated to the technical monster role and Nak not really being that practiced on working from underneath in the last few years (even when he's been the underdog, it's been a matter of degrees so slight that unless he's selling an injury, he's pretty much equal to anyone or anything.)

I just don't see Miz as the guy that can keep up with Nak's Strong Style for more than one match, Dolph, as you say isn't nearly on the same level, but he will bump like a maniac and he's proven that he's more than willing to take a hell of a beating. I think that Dolph can be obnoxious enough that fans will get behind Nak kicking his ass around the horn before moving on to bigger and better things. 

Let me be the first to call it, Nak vs. a motivated Orton could actually be quite good, but at this point who the hell knows what motivates Orton, it sure as fuck isn't pride in his craft.

Just now, HumanChessgame said:

Arson?

Yeah, burning someone's house down is such a classic babyface move. That one's right on the list of "Ten Things that Embarrass Me to be a Wrestling Fan", just cringe-inducing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Sorry I didn't get on board with the collective decision most of the forum made to start liking the Miz because he cut a few shooty promos, but I still find him one of the least interesting in-ring performers on the main roster.  He's had a career high year definitely, though he's shown his real calling would be a Heenan-esque heat magnet manager that his charge's rival seeks to get 5 minutes alone in the ring with should they win.  Give him a stable of heels with some Hollywood gimmick to manage and I'd be all for him.

You know, I think you've hit the nail on the head... The concept of the heel manager who is still a quasi-threat in-ring, is one of the most underused tropes in wrestling. JCP and the AWA both missed the boat with Paul Ellering and the Road Warriors, as Ellering wasn't bad by any means in the ring. He wasn't great, but the whole idea is to use such a figure sparingly. The Miz could be absolutely golden in this sort of role, particularly with the gimmick of getting guys in his stable by talk of Hollywood connections. Yeah, I'd be all in on that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, quackhell said:

Speaking of Zayn...can he just use his fucking gorgeous Blue Thunder as his finish or at least secondary finish. It's too good to be his "only gets a 2 count" move.

This so much. Its a crime he hasn't actually finished a match with it. Same Roman's Splash Mountain.

3 hours ago, Jamal said:

Yea I enjoy Alexa with the character stuff but she's still coming into her own in-ring wise. I really hope they go with a Bliss/Jax duo as they would balance one another out well.

As much as Charlotte needed a change of pace, I'm not here for the Charlotte Show with very special guest stars. The Smackdown Six (or what's left of them with Alexa gone) really worked to get themselves and their division over and deserve better. 

I will never support the idea of Nia playing second to anyone at this point. A duo with Alexa is just a downgrade for her.

I like SDL's women's division, but they were never good enough to be carrying the Smackdown Six name. And as hard as the division worked the interest from the audience always seemed so-so on the whole since they seemingly couldn't keep up with Raw's women. Charlotte will almost for sure change this. I do agree that it shouldn't turn into the Charlotte show, but I do think with her there the women will likely get more chances for memorable matches..

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Ziggler's human pinball routine is far better suited to a series.

It's far better suited to a 5 minute ass kicking. Anything more doesn't help Nak imo. Ziggler is a geek that Nak needs to run through. Also Buddy Murphy is better at selling and bumping(also has better offense) than overrated Ziggler, and a Nak match with Ziggler should go exactly like his NXT match against Murphy.

Going into this whole "shake up", I was expecting SD to get royally fucked over by losing AJ and not getting anyone other than Charlotte and maybe Zayn to improve it. Instead SD lost Miz, which hurts, but not nearly as bad as AJ, it got KO, we've got the prospect of a revitalization of Rusev down the line, and we all got a light at the end of the tunnel for this stupid Orton/Wyatt angle. I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wow, I get shit on because I don't like The Miz. If you've seen one Miz match, you've seen them all. When he doesn't have a mic in his hand, he's slightly more interesting than Randy Orton. All this time, I thought I've been one of the more civil and respectful posters here. Who knew I bothered somebody that much? Mission accomplished, I guess.

The point isn't that you don't like Miz, the point is that you tell us over and over and over and over and over and over...which you probably wouldn't do if you weren't upset that so many people on the site have taken a shine to him...

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I will never support burning someone's house down. Real estate prices are through the roof now and who knows how much Bray still had left on the mortgage for his cult shack.

The sleuth who found out Ambrose/Renee were married also discovered the cult shack was purchased in Ortons name. Orton set the place ablaze for the insurance money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I will never support burning someone's house down. Real estate prices are through the roof now and who knows how much Bray still had left on the mortgage for his cult shack.

If this storyline ends up as Bray and Randy using the whole backwoods cult resurrection business to cover up for them secretly being in cahoots to commit insurance fraud it would probably be a better resolution than what the actual payoff for this angle is.  Surely there's some lower card guy who could use a makeover as an insurance adjuster who smells something fishy about the whole scenario.

I mean, the Miz is fine. Cuts a good fired-up shooty "no one believes in me promo" because he probably really feels that way. I can't remember the details of one singles match of his, really, and that includes the good one where Bryan drags him to three-plus snowflakes and wins the U.S. Championship. I mean, he's inoffensive and can cut the occasional good shoot promo. I don't get the high praise on one side or the abject hatred on the other side. Dude is just a serviceable midcard cog in the machine, ultimately. People getting fired up about someone like that surprises me. 

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

If this storyline ends up as Bray and Randy using the whole backwoods cult resurrection business to cover up for them secretly being in cahoots to commit insurance fraud it would probably be a better resolution than what the actual payoff for this angle is.  Surely there's some lower card guy who could use a makeover as an insurance adjuster who smells something fishy about the whole scenario.

Sounds like a job for Luke Harper: Insurance adjuster 

Which of course, is just Luke Harper in his wifebeater and jeans, but with a necktie.

The man who uncovers the Bray/Orton scandal should be a man that was inspired by his father who was a notoriously rigid government agent who doggedly pursued tax cheats. Bo Dallas! "Bray Wyatt? Even your name is a lie....my brother!" A reconciled Dallas brothers eventually break the New Days record as tag-team champions.

Oh and I totally approve of a Alexa/Nia combo if it is Master Blaster style with a mic'd up Bliss talking trash riding on Nia's back as she wrecks shop.