DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2017

Dolfan in NYC

So Huddersfield are now 6 for 6 in playoff shootouts, right? And Reading have lost their last five playoff finals in a row. Good. We need more Yorkshire teams in the Premiership.

• Like 1

Happy Blackpool got promoted as I've had a sweet spot for them since their Always Doomed From The Beginning Premier League season. But at the same time I can sympathize that a lot of their fans want nothing to do with an ownership that opened litigation against their own fans. What a mess. At least they've turned things around from a couple seasons ago where they literally were cancelling preseason friendlies because they didn't have enough players under contract to field a team.

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Happy Blackpool got promoted as I've had a sweet spot for them since their Always Doomed From The Beginning Premier League season. But at the same time I can sympathize that a lot of their fans want nothing to do with an ownership that opened litigation against their own fans. What a mess. At least they've turned things around from a couple seasons ago where they literally were cancelling preseason friendlies because they didn't have enough players under contract to field a team.

Horseshit. That's the thing - they looked like they were going to stay up for most of the year before going into that fatal tailspin at the end. Even on the final match day - against Man United no less! - they fought their asses off with survival on the line and went out on their shields. They would've stayed up if maybe 1-2 matches had gone differently for them.

EDIT: They finished 19th in one of the tightest relegation battles in EPL history. Just one additional win would've catapulted them into 17th place and safety.

Blackpool_F.C.'s_positions_in_the_Premie

• Like 1

Oh yeah they came close to surviving, and they played very attacking football. But at the time they'd been promoted 3 times in 3 years, their stadium is like half the size of a small premier league stadium, and they were always going to be a team that didn't stick in the Premier League for long. But it was fun watching them play a 3-4-3 and try.

Hell they were ahead in their last game with Manchester United but of course those toads had to spoil things.

I think it's time we at least open the window to discussing Cristiano Ronaldo in the greatest of all time category. Fifth straight year as highest scoring player in the Champions League, six times overall, multiple wins, a European title with a country that isn't always right at the top of the heap. Kind of like Lebron James some people are never going to like his personality but man, the case is real.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

So the fascists defeated the team who are famous for trying to bribe their way to scudettos?

Yeah, I was begrudgedly rooting for Juventus in a lesser of two evils sort of way, didn't work. 

LeBron has an easier case to make for me than Ronaldo just because of how dominant James has been in the NBA. Ronaldo in some instances might not even be the best player in La Liga during this time period (Messi).

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 9:14 AM, Dewar said:

Terrible news. Loved the job he and Cabaye did in the central midfield for Newcastle together.

It will be a long, long time before I forget that goal and that game.

Edit: this is so much better than the BBC version

• Like 2

I could not figure out how to get youtube to embed from the work computer yesterday, but I watched that goal and celebration in a loop for about 20 mintues during my lunch break.

Went to go watch the Canada Women's National team beat Costa Rica last night. Good performance by the Canadians, and we seem to have some attackers not named Christine Sinclair that are pretty good coming into the main squad.

Schalke got a new coach: the 31-year-old Domenico Tedesco. I've never heard of him, but I wish him the best. No European football for the first time in seven year might help him.

I'm ready for the new season already!