DVDVR Message Board

WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS 2017 - THE END

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Well, shit, y'all, looks like that pick 'em is all mine.

Feel free to try to sabotage it by voting Miz over Styles.

I think it is more if Revival beat Styles in the Finals

I mean I guess someone could not have AJ in the Finals - but I am not going through every single bracket to figure that out

Of course the results and board are WWE heavy. Outside of the Internet matches threads where any fed's matches could go, what do we have to work with?

Every episode of RAW, SD, and NXT gets it's own thread, plus the CWC, monthly NXT discussion and PPV threads.

All the Japanese feds together get 1 for General Puro, 1 for Joshi, and the occasional New Japan big card or tourney.

All the Mexican promotions together get, 1 General and 1 for LU a year.

ROH? 1 main thread per year. Same for PWG. Same for all the UK feds, except for that one tourney which falls under WWE.

TNA only gets weekly threads because pretaping means spoilers, and spoilers mean mockery to ensue.

Every other US indie gets lumped into 1 thread.

We rate what we're most familiar with more often than not.

• Like 1

It's up to everyone to watch what they can watch, WWE is most accessible.  It's like in movies where Avengers makes the most money but the best movies are the ones nobody sees in theaters. Although I'm pro-WWE more than a lot of people I know so I think these acts do deserve to be where they are. 

That said, I tried my best to make a case for Kenny Omega.   Maybe it worked to get him as close as he was?  Only losing by 4 in the final 8 is way better than I expected. 

I feel bad there's no non-WWE people in the final 4 and it further illustrates Rippa's issues with this year's tournament.  But once everything became widely available online the issue of accessibility is a completely moot point.  Be it via a company's streaming service or looking on Youtube/Dailmotion there's no excuse for saying you don't have access to things anymore.  Heck, these matchups all had stuff highlighting WWE and non-WWE wrestlers alike.  I can understand if one doesn't have much time due to a busy life, but that's really about it.

I know the 2014 and '15 editions made me getting into lucha libre a lot easier knowing how fucking great the likes of Virus and Hechicero are. So, yeah, it definitely had some positives but it sucks seeing people who have tremendous years outside of MeekMahan Land come up short.

I'll give an example. I have a few wrestling buddies. None of them are hyped about current WWE.  But only one of them is watching alternatives. They will still come home from work and throw on RAW and keep up with it that way but when it comes to alternatives they for whatever reason don't put in the effort to watch. They have even seen NJPW or LU sporadically and loved it but still don't keep up.  I think WWE is just like..  I don't even know what to compare it to.  It's like background noise or watching the news. It's just something you've always done so you keep doing it.

• Like 2

I've found the whole process enjoyable. It's less about who wins, to me, than understanding why others like what they like, and even why I like what I do. It's easy to passively watch wresting, but if I'm gonna invest hours a week, a little mental energy makes it richer. I haven't done any such thing since the old Top 20 Puro MOTY polls, but it's been fun. Useful, even. A lot of people have written up some really good arguments, which, even when I don't agree, it adds perspective and forces me to examine my own tastes and biases. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zev said:

Of course the results and board are WWE heavy. Outside of the Internet matches threads where any fed's matches could go, what do we have to work with?

Every episode of RAW, SD, and NXT gets it's own thread, plus the CWC, monthly NXT discussion and PPV threads.

All the Japanese feds together get 1 for General Puro, 1 for Joshi, and the occasional New Japan big card or tourney.

All the Mexican promotions together get, 1 General and 1 for LU a year.

ROH? 1 main thread per year. Same for PWG. Same for all the UK feds, except for that one tourney which falls under WWE.

TNA only gets weekly threads because pretaping means spoilers, and spoilers mean mockery to ensue.

Every other US indie gets lumped into 1 thread.

We rate what we're most familiar with more often than not.

Its not that those other promotions "get" one thread, its that they only generate one thread's worth of discussion.  205Live and NXT are basically their own promotions, and they're pretty much sitting at one main thread each right now.

Just for the record - the only reason NXT doesn't have weekly threads at the moment is because the last block of tapings was all out of order so I didn't make them

Just now, RIPPA said:

Just for the record - the only reason NXT doesn't have weekly threads at the moment is because the last block of tapings was all out of order so I didn't make them

Fair enough. But we just came off a TV that laid some ground for the Mania weekend TakeOver and featured a Hero's first televised WWE match in a few years (in a championship match no less), and there was very little chatter. So I don't feel like I'm in the woods here. 

Naito would be in my personal final four. (In a bracketless world, I'd have AJ, Omega, and Hero as well.) But, Naito faced AJ. Whatever round you face AJ is the round you lose, no matter who you are. A different bracket, and I could have seen Naito advancing over Miz--Omega came close, and a lot of people just vote against him--though probably not either NXT tag darling. 

• Like 2

Miz had a great year. I think that sentiment is--rightly--close to unanimous on this board. Omega, on the other hand, is incredibly divisive. The impression I get--as it was basically stated in a number of his threads--was that several people would vote against Omega every time, no matter who his opponent was. Given how close the final tally was, those votes could have been the difference. Naito wouldn't have received that treatment, I don't think. 

Just now, Beech27 said:

Miz had a great year. I think that sentiment is--rightly--close to unanimous on this board. Omega is incredibly divisive. The impression I get--and it was stated in a number of his threads--was that several people would vote against Omega every time, no matter who his opponent was. Given how close the final tally was, those votes could have been the difference. Naito wouldn't have received that treatment, I don't think. 

Cross-reference to see if the people who voted against Omega ever voted FOR Naito.