DVDVR Message Board

WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS 2017 - THE END

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Cross-reference to see if the people who voted against Omega ever voted FOR Naito. 

Honestly, I'm not invested enough in any of the outcomes here to do that, and given the speculative nature of my original point. That is, I could imagine a scenario where Naito got by Miz--I wouldn't have predicted it--whereas nobody is beating AJ. Secondarily, I perceive Miz to be held in justifiably high regard here. So I don't think losing to him "of all people" is especially telling. Third, a lot of people really just don't like Omega. 

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Cross-reference to see if the people who voted against Omega ever voted FOR Naito. 

Alright, I'm bored enough.

Of the 52 people who voted Miz over Omega, 19 of them voted for Naito at least once in three matchups. Now in one of these matches, Naito got blown out by AJ, but in the others, he won relatively convincingly (53-35 over Rusev, 59-21 over Negro Casas). 36 of the 52 voted against Naito at least once, (most often in the AJ blowout).

Of the 52 who voted Miz over Omega:

• 6 only voted for Naito in his three matchups,
  • 24 only voted against Naito in his three matchups.
  • 13 voted both for and against Naito.
  • 9 didn't vote in any of Naito's matchups.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Alright, I'm bored enough.

Of the 52 people who voted Miz over Omega, 19 of them voted for Naito at least once in three matchups. Now in one of these matches, Naito got blown out by AJ, but in the others, he won relatively convincingly (53-35 over Rusev, 59-21 over Negro Casas). 36

of the 52 voted against Naito at least once, (most often in the AJ blowout).

Of the 52 who voted Miz over Omega:

• 6 only voted for Naito in his three matchups,
  • 24 only voted against Naito in his three matchups.
  • 13 voted both for and against Naito.
  • 9 didn't vote in any of Naito's matchups.

That's some good work, Chico. 

So that backs the theory that there were maybe people voting against Naito/Omega who never really gave them a look. 

My whole argument was that it's perfectly fine to criticize the New Japan "style" if you are being consistent and doing the same with Cena, Cesaro, Rollins, Owens and even AJ.

Well, the theory that there's a contingent of anti-NJPW voters (or voters who just won't give it the time of day) can at least be tested, because odessa's point that Naito faced relatively strong opposition seems reasonable. Let's start with Omega. His 3rd round opponent, Okada, doesn't really give us much info here, so let's instead go to his 2nd round opponent, Chris Jericho, and his 1st round opponent, Hechicero.

Of the 24 people who voted Miz over Omega and only voted against Naito in his three contests, 8 voted for Omega in one or both of these contests, 16 only voted against him.

At this point, there's a relatively limited number of votes between NJPW and non-NJPW wrestlers (counting Ibushi as NJPW for this):

• Tanahashi-Revival
  • Young Bucks-Hardys
  • Young Bucks-New Day
  • Okada-Asuka
  • Goto-Satomura
  • Shibata-Joe
  • Ishii-Zayn
  • DIY-Kamaitachi

In the interest of keeping this to a reasonable-to-farm data set, I'm gonna scrap the Young Bucks matches as they've worked the US pretty extensively, and are kind of their own animal, as well as Goto-Satomura, as picking out anti-NJ from anti-Japan as a whole seems a bit difficult for this. That leaves us with Tanahashi/Revival, Okada/Asuka, Shibata/Joe, DIY/Kamaitachi, and Ishii/Zayn. Gives us five WWE/NXT vs NJ matches there.

Overal scores of those matches:

• Revival over Tanahashi 81-18
  • Okada over Asuka 61-31
  • Joe over Shibata 59-31
  • Zayn over Ishii 56-34
  • DIY over Kamaitachi 66-19

So, for the set I'm sampling to reflect the board as a whole, NJ wrestlers should have gotten about 35% of the vote in that set. Of the 16 people that only voted against Omega and Naito, they cast a total of 51 votes in those matches, 5 for the NJPW wrestler and 46 against, so just under 10%. Additionally, there are 11 people who, every time an NJPW wrestler (not counting the ones I ignored) was up for vote against a non-NJPW wrestler, did not vote for the NJPW wrestler.

Not gonna make conclusions here, and let's be clear, "not voting for an NJPW wrestler" is not inherently proof of anything other than that some people don't like NJPW, (hence why I'm not naming them. No need to persecute,) but we are shrinking to a relatively small number of people. Can that influence a close vote? Sure, but so can an anti-WWE contingent. I don't think there's really anything here that proves that Miz beating Omega was anything other than voters preferring Miz to Omega.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are those the same two people who are all  "Omega is ruining wrestling!!!" ?  Like he's the one who invented this current main event style that we see in ALL promotions.

Does Cornette post here now?

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, Matt D said:

I tend to blame either Meltzer or Harley Race, personally.

Reminds me of this clip, about a minute in to it:

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, MORELOCK said:

Miz reminds me of why I'm a wrestling fan.

Omega reminds me of why I am sometimes embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

If you were Japanese your opinion would probably be the exact opposite.