DVDVR Message Board

WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS 2017 - THE END

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Oh, never mind

The fact that 70% of his matches are things people have to pay for and that Gran Metalik had high profile WWE matches where he looked good means he probably doesn't make it past the play-in though. Hell, even just speaking for lucha fans, Metalik had a decent amount of singles matches on CMLL tv (like the Cavernario one) before he left that are up on CubsFan channel too. It'll be a hard road for Terry. 

5 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

So, this might be a bit forward, but is this the first time we've done a March Madness were every single person basically knows who is winning going in?

I can see people going for the Broken Matt stuff just as easily as for the Styles matches, frankly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Matt D said:

I can see people going for the Broken Matt stuff just as easily as for the Styles matches, frankly. 

To get him to the final 4 or so, sure, but to win the entire tournament? There are a LOT of strong "extra stuff" candidates from the Hardys, Miz, Jericho, and others. I just think if there was any opening for anyone but Styles to take this, it's been closed in the last 3 months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

To get him to the final 4 or so, sure, but to win the entire tournament? There are a LOT of strong "extra stuff" candidates from the Hardys, Miz, Jericho, and others. I just think if there was any opening for anyone but Styles to take this, it's been closed in the last 3 months.

It's 2017. Irony may trump quality.

• Like 2

Okay - I am going try this.

I am creating threads now for all the play-in matches so you can start discussion. I have 4 up now - the rest will go up tomorrow.

I should - SHOULD - just be able to add the poll to the thread on Wednesday, March 1

A couple of notes

I am not trying to find the "best" matches a person had during the year. I don't have time for that. I will try to point you in the right direction to the best of my knowledge. And hey - I didn't even be mean like posting the Brock match or that Ambrose Asylum match for Dean Ambrose

There are certain matches that I will just not be able to link to (for fairly easy to understand reasons) but they are easy enough to find on your own. I will try to point these out when possible (ex: the Trent Seven vs. Tyler Bate match is easy to find if you have the Network. Do the put NXT on HULU still?)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's a small case for Naito if you dig deep enough.  Not sure I want to make that case. Styles is very difficult to argue against.  I'm thinking of random matches like New Day v. Y2AJ and the motherfucker just elevated everyone to greatness. Okay, enough of that for now.  lol

I'm going to try my best to argue against AJ Styles at some point in this tournament, but I already know it's for a losing cause. We sit at 12 brackets completed for March Madness pickem, and every single one has Styles winning right now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I'm going to try my best to argue against AJ Styles at some point in this tournament, but I already know it's for a losing cause. We sit at 12 brackets completed for March Madness pickem, and every single one has Styles winning right now.

A first. I understand why, AJ Styles the best wrestler in the timeframe. Styles always delivered.

54 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's a small case for Naito if you dig deep enough.  Not sure I want to make that case. Styles is very difficult to argue against.  I'm thinking of random matches like New Day v. Y2AJ and the motherfucker just elevated everyone to greatness. Okay, enough of that for now.  lol

You don't have to dig that deep for Naito. Just check out the match with Big Mike from two weeks ago. Going over AJ's admittedly lengthy list of very good-to-great matches, I don't know if I'd take any one of them over that match or possibly the Tanahashi dome match. I love AJ's year but let's not go ahead and crown his ass before the tournament begins. I think a few of the New Japan guys have better high end stuff than AJ and Naito is one of them. It's part of what makes MM equal parts fascinating and frustrating: what do you value most about a wrestler? I think I'm going to have to be a bit more detached this year than last, because MM 2016 legitimately made me dislike Bayley for a while because I saw only her flaws for just about the entire year.

But yeah, Styles probably had the best year but arguments can be and will be made for the likes of Naito, Omega, and maybe Hero though I thought his 2015 was probably better than 2016 at first thought.

• Like 1

The results of this tournament have been bullshit for years. The year Daniel Bryan finally deserved to win it, you shitbums voted for the Swiss Jobber Man instead. I have selected my bracket knowing that at some point, Styles is going to lose. If the favorite actually manages to win this time, we can finally stop tourturing Rippa every March.

• Like 1

I find it amusing that Bryan not winning over Cesaro is so commonly used as the biggest example of DVDVR March Madness fuckery, when the year before that Mark Henry and CM Punk got absolutely royally screwed over for Bryan winning that year. Cesaro had one of the better in ring years in recent memory when he won it. Bryan did nothing of note that year other then be in a comedy tag team.

• Like 2