DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I would also like to hear justification from the Communists amongt us that voted for The Magnificent Seven as to why they did not vote for Shane?

Okay, I'll volunteer myself for your wrath.

Because when I watched it after being told over and over by people I trust that it's one of the greats, I just didn't feel like it lived up to that reputation. 

Petty? Sure. But the same logic applies to my lukewarm view of Cesaro. 

Speaking of westerns, I have the same outlook on The Searchers after it was built up to me as the best Ford/Wayne movie. As if. 

• Like 1

I put Shane so high because as well as beign a great western, it might just might be the most beautiful looking picture of its time. Fuck, if Ran weren't so fucking gorgeous Shane might've been my #2 or 3 for all I know

James

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Because I tried to diversify my list and already had enough westerns.

While Shane wasn't likely to make my list regardless, the notion of diversifying my list occurred to me as well even though I know that shouldn't enter into the ranking process.

Feeling westerns and things which could be charitably described as having the qualities of a western were well-represented on my top 100, there really wasn't room for many (maybe not even any) more.

Having opened this can of worm, I'll definitely need to give Shane another try. Been putting that off for years. 

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The best part is you were trying to defend yourself to JT - whose list has the most comical exclusions this side of CSC

Sounds like in retrospect I'd have been better off taking the piss and launching into a rant about class struggle. I'll be sure to remember that for later in the list. 

• Like 1

On Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 10:39 AM, RIPPA said:

150) LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003)

Director: Sofia Coppola

214 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: CSC (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Chaos, Sublime, Caley, Natural - HONORABLE MENTION: Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (89)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #11 (2000s)

My #34.  My hats off to CSC for going as high as he did, because I could 100% do the same thing.  Great (best?) Bill Murray performance, amazing soundtrack, gorgeous cinematography, and a really fun, sweet, entertaining little story.  I love this one a lot.

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 11:40 AM, RIPPA said:

135) CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (Wo hu cang long) (2000)

Director: Ang Lee

234 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Raziel, JT, Death From Above, Sublime, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%) : METACRITIC (93)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #43 (2000s)

My #78.  The fight scenes are some of the most beautiful ever filmed and an amazingly heartfelt beautiful ending.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

128) INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1989)

Director: Steven Spielberg

243 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Z (#16) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Paco, CSC

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%) : METACRITIC (65)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #21 (80s)

I had 'Raiders' on my HM list, but probably should have included this one, as well, as it's really my favourite Indiana flick.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

127) THE TREE OF LIFE (2011)

Director: Terrence Malick

243 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Chaos, New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%) : METACRITIC (65)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: N/A

Such a great film.  I went to bat for it in the pimping threads.  I took my friend to it after he'd expressed interest.  He was not impressed.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

126) MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON (1939)

Director: Frank Capra

244 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JH (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, Matt D, Ed

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: N/A

My #59.  I love all those Frank Capra hopeful films, except Mr. Deeds Goes to Town.  Deeds is kind of a dweeb, honestly.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The best part is you were trying to defend yourself to JT - whose list has the most comical exclusions this side of CSC

Says the man who did not have room on his ballot for Bride of Frankenstein not even as an Honrable Mention?

123) Kill Bill: Vol. 2. When the better Kill Bill discussion came up, I said I prefer Kill Bill Vol. 1. I didn't say where both placed because I said there's only a one place difference, #53-54. Interesting to learn I and Paco are the only people to vote for both volumes.

121) Let The Right One In. Happy to see the film rank so well! Watched it twice on DVD the same day which is unlike me. Let The Right One In is a remarkable film, I thought I'd be the highest voter for it. I may say more about it when I'm back on the computer rather than the tablet.

airplane-movie-poster-1980-1020196787

120) AIRPLANE! (1980)

Director: Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, Jerry Zucker

256 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: WNBB (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Ed, Raziel, Hobo Joe, Sublime

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #17 (80s)

batman_mask_of_the_phantasm

118) BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM (1993)

Director: Eric Radomski, Bruce Timm

258 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Tbarrie, Matt D

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #77 (90s V2), #127 (90 V1)

• Like 1