DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not to disrespect the dead (and he was a great man), but Harvey Milk was a politician so by nature maladjusted. But he was happy! 

Scrolling through Penn's filmography just on Google I don't see a single non-serious performance besides Spicoli. 

Shanghai Surprise ? Or was that just laughably bad.

the remake of We're No Angels. 

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Fuck that - Sherlock Holmes was great

I can barely remember what happened in Sherlock Holmes, but I can quote Lock, Stock nearly word for word.

And that is even with the handicap of the script for Lock, Stock having the word "fuck" in every other sentence.

Also, there are few fathers in popular culture better than Big Chris.  Jack Pearson from This Is Us is the new Gold standard.

As this film hasn't shown up yet (unless I missed it), I'm beginning to have my faith in this board restored by the idea that this is perhaps top-50 or even top-25.

Image result for o lucky man

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't always need my escapist entertainment to fill me with rage.  That happens often enough on the fucking drive home from work.  Something that is mentally liberating doesn't necessarily have to make you angry as well.

I don't really hate American Beauty per se.  I am not fond of the fact that it is the movie equivalent of the attractive girlfriend that knows she's attractive. 

I appreciate clever things a lot more when they don't shout LOOK HOW FUCKING CLEVER I AM~! in your face.

There is also the ick factor.

I used to find this scene enlightening and strangely empowering because I was able to keep the circumstance separate from the symbolism. 

Lester is trying to see past the banality of suburban existence.  That nagging thought in your head (Mena is hot like lava, but the character she's playing is seventeen years old or something...) is just your imagination.

Now, that I'm the father of a teenage daughter, this scene scares the living shit out of me.  Lester is a fucking pedo.  I would've shot him in the head, too.

When I typed my post about American Beauty saying I liked it more as I've aged,  I wasn't sure to submit it as it doesn't apply to that plot point!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Happy, Young, Smiling Malcom McDowell looks like he's about to bisect you with an axe at the drop of a hat, any hat.

That movie might've gotten bumped in favor of Last Crusade, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why does Sean Penn always look like he's constipated? 

Also, no Spielberg should made the list except for Jaws IMO. Okay, maybe Schindler's List.

EDIT: Saving Private Ryan too fuck

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Do I go with the obivious "Because he's usually full of shit." or "Because he always has a stick up his ass." joke?

The answer. Sean smug shit Penn.

55 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If you are rebooting movie club this year, that should almost be the theme. Movies we failed horribly either with low rankings or not voting for at all. The DVDVR Movie Club of SHAME!

I like this idea and the one bringing those films you can't stand.

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Funnily - I am planning on doing themes for the movie club this time (much more open ended to allow flexibility)

So ideas for that will work

I am just clearing out things first

Yay.

df97fd0188bed9f0a8952361297d4bb9

125) NOSFERATU (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (1922)

Director: F.W. Murnau

246 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime, JT, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: N/A

Just for the record - Shane was the first movie from earlier that I was talking about in a mix-up.

Basically it was listed twice

Fortunately it was the easy movie to fix

For those scoring at home

Voted for both Kill Bill Parts - Paco, Natural

Only voted for 1 - KLOS (and it was only honorable mention)

Only voted for 2 - Cyanide, Z, Execproducer

• Like 1

il_570xN.326290156

122) LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL (Leon) (1994)

Director: Luc Besson

252 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Lacelle, Raziel, Magnificent 7, Sublime

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (71%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #37 (90s V2)

ee17d673cfa6582fdd9bfab173a4261c

121) LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (Låt den rätte komma in) (2008)

Director: Tomas Alfredson

254 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Cyanide, Sublime, CSC, JT

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%) : METACRITIC (82)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #37 (2000s)

• Like 1

To answer the question of "JT.  Why did you vote for Let The Right One In, Rosemary's Baby, and Nosferatu, but you didn't vote for Halloween?"

"Not only am I a movie snob, I think we've also proven that I am slightly addled due to my advanced age.  It may even be early onset dementia.  Or maybe I am just a dumbass? It is probably all of the above."

In short, I really should've re-examined my ballot and found a spot for Halloween.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I would also like to hear justification from the Communists amongt us that voted for The Magnificent Seven as to why they did not vote for Shane?

I could probably formulate a top ten western list that did not include Shane, while still saying it is a really good movie.