DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-image

92) THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948)

Director: John Huston

319 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Ed (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Matt D, JH, JT, Jae - HONORABLE MENTION: RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: N/A

children_of_men_fanart_by_marcel_domke-d8kd4wx

91) CHILDREN OF MEN (2006)

Director: Alfonso Cuarón

321 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Cyanide (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Chaos, Raziel, Paco, Hobo Joe - HONORABLE MENTION: Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%) : METACRITIC (84)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #12 (2000s)

3 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

I definitely voted for Two Towers and Honorably Mentioned Return of the Jedi

Yup and thank you for the reminder. I just went back and edited the two posts (since in both cases I had just listed the name of the person next to you on my file)

I forgot to mention it when it showed up but Saving Private Ryan was our first legit 7 vote movie.

Two legit 9 vote movies show up in the 80s

On 12/03/2017 at 4:58 PM, RIPPA said:

I know some of you hate all things Star Wars but to think they wouldn't do well - especially on this board - is silly

Come on man, people pretending to be outraged about shit they knew would happen the moment the poll was announced is a proud longstanding tradition, and is in no way tiresome or boring. It's right up there with "man submits last minute ballot with 85 things no one hyped pretending to be surprised nobody else voted for That Thing Nobody Knows About".

Catching up through the list I was a bit surprised that I wasn't the high vote for Nosferatu which I had at #10 but was beat out by one spot, also a bit surprised it wasn't a top 100, it's nearly 100 years old and still does a better job of being creepy than most films made today. 

Glad to see Let The Right One In (my 51) place so high and somewhat surprised that Leon (my 57th) was out of the top 100.

Happy to see Airplane make the list also I had started to think it didn't make it, which made me sad and thought I should have put it higher than 92. 

Glad to see others were iffy about the placement of LOTR also, I honorable mentioned Two Towers and Return of the King, Two Towers is easily my favorite of the movie series. It's the most self contained, the big battle in it is probably my vote for the best part of the entire trilogy and it wasn't overly long like Return of the King was. Jackson probably could have shifted some stuff into Two Towers to shorten RofK but that would probably just make Two Towers worse and probably hurt my enjoyment of the trilogy.

(Pleasantly) Surprised Return of the Jedi wasn't a top 100 also, I expected the original trilogy to all be in the top 100, especially after Force Awakens made the list. I like Return of the Jedi (and Ewoks, yeah I said it) just fine but it's definitely the weakest of the first three Star Wars films.  

Good Will Hunting was my 99th movie and I almost left it off, at one point it was my 100 and another it was in Honorable Mention, I always figured that others would put it high enough to carry it.

Thought Rushmore was a lock for top 100, feel like I could have placed it a but higher on my ballot, it was the lowest placed Wes Anderson movie on my list I had it at 70, I had Grand Budapest Hotel at 59 and the Royal Tennenbaums at 18.

Definitely surprised Her (my 74th) cracked the top 100 when it hadn't dropped by the mid-100's I figured it hadn't made it.

• Like 1

Also shocked that Amelie (42nd on my ballot) wasn't higher it's such a lovely little film and it deserved to be placed higher than American Psycho which is carried by Bale's fantastic performance, IMO.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rippa totally faked me out with his mistake; I thought I was gonna see Kate Upton cosplaying as Kate Hudson in that poster. No fair! 

You can't handle Kate Upton or Kate Hudson's areolas

cfc72eeaa306ab90ae5d7bca4aa1b3ce

88) THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (2001)

Director: Peter Jackson

331 Points (5 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: TBarrie (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Death From Above, CSC, Hobo Joe - HONORABLE MENTION: Z, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%) : METACRITIC (92)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #22 (2000s)

• Like 1

197cbb046124cff0feb421eb904c00c0

85) BLUE VELVET (1986)

Director: David Lynch

338 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Lacelle (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, WNBB, Execproducer, Chaos - HONORABLE MENTION: New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (76)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #26 (80s)

Okay, that bit of Exorcist wall candy does not need to be on my wall. 

I have this thing about not turning on the lights in my house and having fright induced heart attacks at three in the morning when my old man bladder betrays me and I have to get up and go use the bathroom.

• Like 1

0d43be2f7fb12019d39753b4982cb7c9

83) GROUNDHOG DAY (1993)

Director: Harold Ramis

343 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Matt D, Execproducer, Paco, CSC, Lacelle, (BP), Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%) : METACRITIC (72)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #20 (90s V2), #28 (90s V1)