DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

crouching_tiger_hidden_dragon_ver1

135) CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (Wo hu cang long) (2000)

Director: Ang Lee

234 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Raziel, JT, Death From Above, Sublime, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%) : METACRITIC (93)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #43 (2000s)

And Rippa just discovered another fuck-up - so hold on. Two movies have to merge together and it looks like this will only be 359 movies....

• Like 1

You really want to get me going on how every song on that Spice Girls album is all "Let's just be friends" "I don't want any one" and Girl Power, except that one, which is really only "Let's bang our brains out"?

KmfLpkLTycrTToLyhoerP5Mi

133) AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999)

Director: Sam Mendes

237 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Paco (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, CSC, Lacelle, Natural - HONORABLE MENTION: KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%) : METACRITIC (86)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #47 (90s V2), 13 (90s V1)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

My list is perfect

Yours... not so much

A list that includes Forest Gump merits any number of adjectives attached to it, however, "perfect" is not one of those adjectives.

• Like 2

Just now, OSJ said:

A list that includes Forest Gump merits any number of adjectives attached to it, however, "perfect" is not one of those adjectives.

You are an old man with terrible opinions

Now please remove yourself from my lawn

• Like 4

170) Enter the Dragon. Bruce Lee’s character seeking revenge, the tournament, the finale placed Enter the Dragon #51.

165) Galaxy Quest. Few science fiction things I like, this is one of them. A funny sci-fi comedy parody highlighted by the late, great, Alan Rickman. For these reasons, I voted for the film, #70.

161) Dawn of the Dead. The dead walk among us as survivors use a mall, consumerism. Dawn of the Dead closed out my top 20.

156) The Usual Suspects. A mystery film and from it the best twist ending in film history. I’m the highest vote for it. RIPPA’s picked an awesome poster.

150) Lost in Translation. This and Finding Nemo had the biggest drops each Mk. Lost in Translation hung on to #97.

153) Kill Bill: Vol. 1. On the better Kill Bill discussion, I prefer the first though it’s only a single spot higher to Vol. 2 so I won’t say where if Vol. 2 likely crops up.

147) The Terminator. Man vs. Machine. #81.

146) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Such was my enjoyment of this film I watched it twice the same day and bought it on DVD. I rarely do either. One of those films you wish you went to see at the cinema. #66.

133) American Beauty. I first watched this when younger and liked it, I like it more as I’ve grown older. My #39.

132) Halloween. The killer monster who doesn’t sell, the memorable theme and the influence on others meant I gave it the highest vote, #24.

On 3/7/2017 at 4:43 PM, Chaos said:

It definitely is the dividing line for QT as a filmmaker. It's the weakest of his initial four films (if you count KB as one film). His one bordering on classic QT film afterwards is probably Inglorious Basterds, but that's more just because Waltz is so damn amazing in that thing. The other films have great performances or great moments: Russell through Death Proof and the final chase sequence, Waltz and Leo in Django (the final 20-30 minutes really harm that film for me), and Goggis and Leigh in Hateful Eight.

I agree with you about Django Unchained’s last 30 minutes harming the film. Haven’t seen Death Proof/The Hateful Eight (meaning to) but Django Unchained is my least favourite Quentin Tarantino film. I’m a fan of his and like my westerns

On 3/7/2017 at 6:39 PM, RIPPA said:

Hate Lost in Translation so much...

I second this motion.

On 3/7/2017 at 6:55 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

It would be neat to be able to assign negative votes to movies.  Like separate from the top 100, have a separate 10-movie downvote list, or something like that.  It seems like it'd be cathartic for some people.

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

Like the current political climate in the United States, I am showing young "lists are bad" Mark the peril of not exercising your democratic franchise.

I voted so I can bitch as much as I like about how horrible all of your choices were and will only accept ridicule an criticism from other ballot casters.

This.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Mentally remembering that placement as I build my case of JT as a Horror Hipster

I notice that I am getting bullshit for not voting for Halloween, but no fist bumps for supporting Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon which you also voted for.

And I only had 100 slots on my GOAT ballot and did not invoke the wimp clause of Honorable Mentions. 

Not even John Carpenter himself would argue that Halloween was one of the 100 best movies ever made by human hands.

Perhaps if there were a 100 Greatest Horror Movies Poll later on in the year...

• Like 2

Chris is fucking awesome.  It took me a minute to make the connection.

I just cannot bring myself to celebrate Gone With The Wind as a cautionary tale on the evils of institutionalized racism because so much of the movie is totally fucking infuriating. 

I don't always need my escapist entertainment to fill me with rage.  That happens often enough on the fucking drive home from work.  Something that is mentally liberating doesn't necessarily have to make you angry as well.

I don't really hate American Beauty per se.  I am not fond of the fact that it is the movie equivalent of the attractive girlfriend that knows she's attractive. 

I appreciate clever things a lot more when they don't shout LOOK HOW FUCKING CLEVER I AM~! in your face.

There is also the ick factor.

I used to find this scene enlightening and strangely empowering because I was able to keep the circumstance separate from the symbolism. 

Lester is trying to see past the banality of suburban existence.  That nagging thought in your head (Mena is hot like lava, but the character she's playing is seventeen years old or something...) is just your imagination.

Now, that I'm the father of a teenage daughter, this scene scares the living shit out of me.  Lester is a fucking pedo.  I would've shot him in the head, too.

• Like 1