DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure how long Buzz Sawyer and Rick Steiner remained together, but that seems like a pairing that rubbed off on Rick in a few ways

Steiner was around during the very end of the Irish McNeil Boys Club days but as a mostly milquetoast JTTS though he was never fully squashed, commentary would put over his athletic potential, and you could tell that potential was there.

But yeah, there is definitely a "flip switch" that turns on with how he handles himself in the ring once he starts hanging around Buzz, the "eating jobbers alive" aspect of what the Steiners would ultimately become definitely starts up around then. 

• Like 1

not sure how many WWF matches are onlne for Edouard Carpentier but he really worked like an old man who ran a martial arts academy in a strip mall. Probably one of those styles that might get old if he was on TV every week but occasional matches from a guy who looked like Benny Hill and would do flips would be fresh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4IJTrOOw8

• Like 1

I saw Buddy Rose for the first time on one of the Shawn DVD sets tagging with Somers against the Rockers, and my first thought was “where have they been hiding this guy?”

PWO has some tremendous write-ups about him. This is more of an oddity than anything else, but I love that it exists: Buddy and Hogan in Japan teaming against Fujinami and Yatsu. Hogan later main evented the WWF Wrestledream show with Yatsu, presumably because they were familiar with each other from the early 80s.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 7:09 PM, Cobra Commander said:

not sure how many WWF matches are onlne for Edouard Carpentier but he really worked like an old man who ran a martial arts academy in a strip mall. Probably one of those styles that might get old if he was on TV every week but occasional matches from a guy who looked like Benny Hill and would do flips would be fresh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4IJTrOOw8

We got a ton of him in France when he was younger. He knew how to come off like a star in a way most guys there didn’t.

2 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

September 25, 1987 Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin, NWA World Heavyweight Title

Ronnie enjoyed rubbing JJ's I have strong opinions about the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself all over himself more than holding the belt for the first time.