DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

2 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

So i bought a ps4.

Beautiful, but a fuck ton of updates.

I believe, from my experiences, that if the downloads are queued, they'll finish much faster in rest mode than if the machine is on. 

• Like 1

So my gaming tastes tend to be stuck in the Donkey Kong era (I currently own a SNES, N64, and a PS2, but nothing more recent).  Despite that, I'm thinking of buying something more current.  PS2 is on it's last legs, and I still play some PS1 games and a few PS2 RPG's and platformers.

What's the easiest way to keep playing PSone and PS2 games?  PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1, right?  And with PS2. but only if it's the first generation of PS3 consoles?  Are all PS3 consoles compatible with PSone, or just the early generations?

PS4 isn't baclwards compatible with PSone or PS2, right?

I gather there is something called the PSN Store, which offers a lot of older PS1, PS2 titles.  Main reason to keep a PSone around is the PSX Final Fantasy titles, plus a few others like Chrono Cross/Trigger.  Want the PS2 working for Final Fantasy X and XII. Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Xenosaga, Ratchet and Clank and a handful of other RPG's and maybe a couple platformers.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards buying a used PS2 for PSone and PS2. then maybe a PS4 later this year if the rumors about upcoming FF titles are true. Is there an easier route to go?

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

So my gaming tastes tend to be stuck in the Donkey Kong era (I currently own a SNES, N64, and a PS2, but nothing more recent).  Despite that, I'm thinking of buying something more current.  PS2 is on it's last legs, and I still play some PS1 games and a few PS2 RPG's and platformers.

What's the easiest way to keep playing PSone and PS2 games?  PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1, right?  And with PS2. but only if it's the first generation of PS3 consoles?  Are all PS3 consoles compatible with PSone, or just the early generations?

PS4 isn't baclwards compatible with PSone or PS2, right?

I gather there is something called the PSN Store, which offers a lot of older PS1, PS2 titles.  Main reason to keep a PSone around is the PSX Final Fantasy titles, plus a few others like Chrono Cross/Trigger.  Want the PS2 working for Final Fantasy X and XII. Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Xenosaga, Ratchet and Clank and a handful of other RPG's and maybe a couple platformers.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards buying a used PS2 for PSone and PS2. then maybe a PS4 later this year if the rumors about upcoming FF titles are true. Is there an easier route to go?

Current PS3's have no backwards capatibility with previous generations (hardware issues), so to play previous generation stuff, you pretty much have to rebuy the titles on the PSN Store (which are all emulated copies of PSX stuff, and a mix if emulated PS2 and HD upgraded PS2 stuff).  PS4 Currently has no backwards capitibility (and won't in the forseeable future, unless PSNow utterly fails).  So, you're stuck with rebuying things on PSN, keeping the older systems around, or going the emulation route, which is iffy because of various legalities and that you need a pretty damn good PC Rig to get the PSX and PS2 ISO's running well (and that the skirting legalities of it, you have to research that yourself)

According to Wikipedia, all models of the PS3 are backwards compatible with PS1 games.

Only the first run of PS3s are compatible with PS2 games.

However, there are a bunch of PS2 games that have been made available via the PSN Store for use on the PS3 (like Shadow the Colossus, ICO, Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, Raiden 3, and others).  

The PSN store does have PS1 & PS2 titles for the PS4 and there's also a selection of PS1/PS2/PS3 titles available through Playstation Now.

To add to what Tabe said, the PS3 library of PS2 games on the PSN store is much, MUCH larger than the ones available for PS4.  There's like, 10-15 available for PS4 I think and none of them are Firepro Wrestling Returns, sadly

Has nobody thought to just post the http://store.playstation.com link? Because you can browse and search that without having an actual PSN account.

They have Jet Set Radio and Space Channel Five. But Fire Pro isn't available in Europe.

PS2 is still comfortably the best way to play PS2 games, but even though I prefer physical the PS Store is superb for original Playstation games.

The selection is fantastic and the prices are cheaper than physical (usually the opposite for Playstation 2.) If you make multiple accounts that gives you more sales and access to games not released locally that would be prohibitively expensive otherwise. Also there are a few options for how to play them. The PS3 can output to CRT if you have one, PSTV's been mentioned and both Sony's portable consoles run them without fail. For example you may want to stick to PS2 and grab a PSTV or even a PSP (with tv out cable?) to supplement it for the gaps in your library you can only get online.

Thanks for the input.  Browsed the Playstation store last night.  Think I'm going to hunt up a refurbished PS2 console (probably the ceramic white) for PS2 and PS1 games, and plan on buying a PS4 later this year (whenever the next round of Final Fantasy titles are released).

1 hour ago, Salads said:

PS2 is still comfortably the best way to play PS2 games, but even though I prefer physical the PS Store is superb for original Playstation games.

The selection is fantastic and the prices are cheaper than physical (usually the opposite for Playstation 2.) If you make multiple accounts that gives you more sales and access to games not released locally that would be prohibitively expensive otherwise. Also there are a few options for how to play them. The PS3 can output to CRT if you have one, PSTV's been mentioned and both Sony's portable consoles run them without fail. For example you may want to stick to PS2 and grab a PSTV or even a PSP (with tv out cable?) to supplement it for the gaps in your library you can only get online.

Making other country accounts is pretty trivial at least on the PS4; I created a Japanese account for myself and my wife to get the Japan-exclusive Final Fantasy XIV theme.  The controls stay the same, just with different text.

On 2017-01-01 at 11:20 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

I've been playing Star Trek Online again lately, after binging with the wife on DS9 (fucking loved it - never watched it before).  Already got my main character (human engineer) up to max level 60 (thank you, double XP month).  Next up, a Klingon!

All my ships are named after cities/towns/etc in Washington state, except my big ship, the USS Washington.  ZIP codes for NCC registry numbers.  It's fun.

I sometimes miss this game but I was grinding literally hours a day by the end and it wore me out badly. Still, after a rough beginning it really did come together great. Most of the big problems with it were just "generic issues inherent to MMO gaming". As far as MMO's that can be played for free go, it's quite decent. Just... grindy. Some of the space battles can be pretty goddamn great.

The forum is an utterly toxic shithole though. I thought I was a serious Trek fan but some of these people are obsessed with details to the nth degree to the point any slight deviation has totally ruined their existence. A lot of them seem to really miss the point that a place like STO is where you can really tweak things for your own fantasies and that's part of what makes it great.

• Like 1

After watching the Giant Bomb crew play Overcooked, my girlfriend decided that she wanted to give it a go. Probably the best couch coop game I've played in several console generations. 

We tried to go into each level with a plan for maximum efficiency, but it invariably fell apart and chaos reigned. There were several points where we had to restart levels just because we were laughing so hard.

It remains to be seen if we'll still be having fun when we have to grind extra stars from past levels to unlock gated levels, but so far it's an absolute blast. 

Oh God, Overcooked - towards the end of the game we spent entire nights just trying to 3 star single levels and still having a blast.

I love that just when you think you're getting good they throw ice levels at you that turn out to be the most hilarious things we've ever played in a video game. 

Unfortunately, we're found the final boss to be nearly unbeatable with only two people.  We've 3 starred every other level and can only get 75% of the way through it no matter how much time we think we've knocked off. 

I got Diablo 3 in the PSN Holiday Sale back in 2014, put probably 12 hours into it with my GF at the time, then we broke up and I never really messed with it again. I got super excited for The Darkening of Tristram since the original game won't run on modern systems and it's always felt like one of those gaming cultural touchstones I totally missed, not realizing it would require me to actually finish story mode first (or I would have spent part of my two four-day weekends on it). So yesterday and today I pounded through Act 3 while re-learning the idiosyncrasies that make it different from other games of the genre (bearing in mind that I never played D1 or D2).  Much like other descendants of Diablo, I'm enjoying myself in a weirdly low-key, almost zombie-like way.

Between that and Kirby's Adventure 3DS (which has been my commute/lunch game this week) I seem poised to knock off a couple of my long-term Pile games this month.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I got Diablo 3 in the PSN Holiday Sale back in 2014, put probably 12 hours into it with my GF at the time, then we broke up and I never really messed with it again. I got super excited for The Darkening of Tristram since the original game won't run on modern systems and it's always felt like one of those gaming cultural touchstones I totally missed, not realizing it would require me to actually finish story mode first (or I would have spent part of my two four-day weekends on it).

That comes down with the update tonight, right? So there's my plans while attempting to keep warm in the 12F temps....

20 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Actually, I thought it was in the update that got pushed (on PS4 at least) on Wednesday.

You were right. I had just assumed that the patch for it and season 9 would be all at the same time, like it has been in the past. Was pleasantly surprised yesterday evening.

I took an already level 70 Wizard through it real quick for the nostalgia and finished in 30 - 45 minutes. I then started a level 1 Wizard and died to the Butcher. That's... rather true to the original, too. ;-)

Finished Act IV this morning, which would have taken the game off the Pile of Shame if the PS4 version didn't include the expansion.  Gonna make a run at V tonight, though I may not have it in me.

I am having a hell of a time finding the dye merchants. Were they removed entirely when they eliminated purchasable health potions, or am I just a dumbass?

GLITTERMITTEN GROVE [2] - I don't know how to talk about this without being completely unreadible, so I will summarize by saying that this is the kind of sequel where what I liked about a game is completely different from what the designer liked about their game.

GUNMAN CLIVE [3] - I needed a quick action game to play, it is that. I feel no stronger about it than describing the exact nature of my ownership.

ENDLESS LEGEND IS STILL REALLY GOOD - I bought all the DLC at the end of the Steam Sale and while I'm still pretty far from being able to win a game of it, I love so much about it that it's so far just succeeding in making me that much more upset about Civ6.

GoNNER [3] - This is a pre-emptive score. It's a rogue-like procedural game with a wild ass art style and incredibly slick movement. However, since it's a rogue-like, I don't really know how long I'll stick with it so I can't say I love it, but I'm super down with everything they've showed me so far. Also, best title screen song of 2016.

12 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I am having a hell of a time finding the dye merchants. Were they removed entirely when they eliminated purchasable health potions, or am I just a dumbass?

They just removed them in this latest patch. The Mystic (I don't think you've met her yet) will have them.