DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

EA is really pissing me off, with Origin causing memory leaks now.  I'm almost at the point of deinstalling it (thusly, losing me access to my PC versions of the ME Trilogy and SimCity.  I've just given up on the Sim's ever working properly) since it's seriously fucking with my other stuff and Steam games.

Found some of my old stash of NES games in the attic. I'd been hunting them down after getting the Retron 5 for Christmas. Started playing Crystalis. Was intending to just check to see that it worked, but I'll be damned if I didn't sit there and play for nearly an hour. Not a game I see brought up a lot, but probably a top five NES game for me. First I've played it in years.

Alas, I haven't found the box with Tecmo Wrestling in it just yet. That's the game I've actively been looking for. Also discovered that my Final Fantasy cart had somehow gotten crushed. I'd hoped that it was just the outer shell, but the Retron won't load it, popping up some sort of ROM dump error. 

DRAGON QUEST 1 [4] - Okay so 4 means "I love it" but I need to take a second to explain that when I say that, I mean I love the ways it shows it's age and the seedlings of the Good RPG Ideas that are littered throughout it. However, seeing that it is a 30 year old NES RPG, there's not really a lot going on. It's quaint, but, it's only quaint in retrospect. It was probably amazing for designers back in it's day, but I imagine someone playing it without like a historical curiosity angle would find this absolutely exhausting and tedious.

Yes, it absolutely is. I've never really understood the praise for it at all. It's the poorest poor man's Final Fantasy 1, and that game doesn't really have a lot going for it besides historical importance when compares to where the genre has gone since. I think there are NES games that have aged tremendously well (I'd argue a lot of NES platformers still totally shit on lame "faux-retro" platformers being pumped out today, the original Legend of Zelda invented open world games and nobody even coined the term for like 25 more years, etc). I do not think NES RPG's generally fall into this category.

I really feel like the golden age of the JRPG was the 16-bit era, and all the 8-bit stuff got pretty badly left in the dust. But that's just me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Yes, it absolutely is. I've never really understood the praise for it at all. It's the poorest poor man's Final Fantasy 1, and that game doesn't really have a lot going for it besides historical importance when compares to where the genre has gone since.

Dragon Quest came out before Final Fantasy.

RE: Dragon Quest and its virtues

This is just me being a weird minimalist, but I really appreciate how small all the numbers are in the Dragon Quest games. Final Fantasy does this thing where, well, here.

screen_shot_2010-03-18_at_10_52_07_pm.png

What is 2522 supposed to represent? Is that getting beaned by a fastball? Is it getting hit by a rolled up newspaper? Is it getting shot? The love of numbers in Final Fantasy supercedes all reason.

With Dragon Quest, the equivalency is very clear. You start the game barehanded. You do 1 to 3 damage. You can go get a stick for like 10 bucks. That way you do like maybe one point more damage. Slimes have 6 hitpoints. You get 1 experience for beating one, and 2 gold. So by the time you're in the end game, and you're dealing and withstanding hits of like 20-40, they feel like huge crazy blows, because you've been watching the numbers grow in a way your mind can understand. And, in Dragon Quest 5 (which is the reason I'm playing all the Dragon Quests this year, because I had 5 recommended to me and I loved it), they are able to use the combat to tell the story without having to do big ugly blocks of exposition. You start the game as a child, travelling with your father. You're learning how to fight, sure, but your dad just whips the holy shit out of everything you come across while healing you. They use the numbers in other ways later in the story, but the larger point is, Dragon Quest to me feels like a much tighter, much cleaner piece of design work and keeping the numbers reasonable is a big part of that.

To be fair, that's only a recent phenomenon in Final Fantasy.  Up until X, then stayed with low numbers at level 1 and slowly built until you were doing max damage, with a decent reason why.  It's when they broke the mytical 9999 barrier that the numbers got out of fucking control.

The inspirations for DQ were Wizardry, Ultima, one of the creator's earlier games and SMB, so it's not hard to figure out why it's the style it is.

12 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yep, Yakuza is Shenmue with insane combat.

In other words, it's great. 

I still maintain that Bully is the truest heir to Shenmue, with its schedule-based gameplay, 

It's weird to look at that game, which I beat twice and absolutely adored, and realize that 2017 me would play just long enough to get to the arcade, play some Space Harrier and peace the fuck out. But that's the case for basically every Dreamcast game I had except maybe Soul Reaver.

11 hours ago, Shane said:

Found some of my old stash of NES games in the attic. I'd been hunting them down after getting the Retron 5 for Christmas. Started playing Crystalis. Was intending to just check to see that it worked, but I'll be damned if I didn't sit there and play for nearly an hour. Not a game I see brought up a lot, but probably a top five NES game for me. First I've played it in years.

Alas, I haven't found the box with Tecmo Wrestling in it just yet. That's the game I've actively been looking for. Also discovered that my Final Fantasy cart had somehow gotten crushed. I'd hoped that it was just the outer shell, but the Retron won't load it, popping up some sort of ROM dump error. 

If you can get the cartridge open use an eraser (hi polymer plastic is best) and rubbing alcohol. The boards are smaller than a cassette tape. Also check to see if the battery has corroded.  I used to not give a shit about finding cheap crap NES games but once my collection got bigger and I wanted to clean 'em I finally found a use for all those Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune games.  Extra screws and usually fairly clean back shells.  I still haven't replaced a battery yet on any of my games.

7 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Anybody else playing WWE Champions?  It's new and basically WWE Puzzle Quest.

I tried it this morning

I'm amused that the first three things that happen are:

Triple H insults you

You have to give all your money to John Cena

Your first unlockable is Roman Reigns

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I still maintain that Bully is the truest heir to Shenmue, with its schedule-based gameplay, 

It's weird to look at that game, which I beat twice and absolutely adored, and realize that 2017 me would play just long enough to get to the arcade, play some Space Harrier and peace the fuck out. But that's the case for basically every Dreamcast game I had except maybe Soul Reaver.

Fair comparison, and funny enough, that's how I play Bully. Just long enough to take a few English classes and play the word jumble game before I get bored with the core gameplay and quit. I've tried that game four times now, and I've reached acceptance about this.

I actually still have my Dreamcast out. I love arcade-based gameplay, so between all the fighters and all the arcade sports games that I have, I still get into it. I'm old now, so my reflexes are only good enough to beat computer opponents at fighting games. Dreamcast is perfect for me!

Jesus but I miss the days when fighting games had 30 hours of single player.

I keep meaning to break out my DC again to play Fire Pro D. I have FOR on PS3, but I prefer the long march through each fed over "book a card and then play it" with no progression.

• Like 2

God the path progression in this WWE Champions is like it was written by the WWE writers

I faced

Bray Wyatt

Roman Reigns from NXT

Triple H

Neville

Finn Balor

Darren Young (who somehow was the hardest challenger)

This thing will be a cash cow for them if enough folks play it because some many people will drop real money to ensure getting specific wrestlers

So far, I could run a series of WM main events with my cards: Cena, Rock, HHH, Reigns, Rollins, and Bray.

I like that Dolph Ziggler is a meaningless side match, it's pretty realistic.

It is cool to see them going with NXT versions of guys like Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose.

Oh that's right - I unlocked Bray but he hasn't shown up yet (they said it would take up to 24 hours)

Neville is somehow less jacked in this game and that is with everyone looking gassed to the gills