DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

Quite a few of us have played Sleeping Dogs and yeah, it is a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, United Front Gaming closed its doors in 2016, so it is highly unlikely that there will be a sequel.

The MMO that took place in the game setting, Triad Wars, was cancelled.

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

Gears Of War 3 is a wrap.  All collectables "found.".

RIP Dr. Fenix.

Now downloading my complimentary copy of Gears Of War 4.  71 GB???? 

I know I am a new XB1 owner because the size of this download freaks me out. 

I will still have about 710 gigs of free space, but I will angst over making sure there is enough HD space for all of the ME Andromeda DLC that I know I will want.

71 Gigs is one of the larger game sizes out there, so even I would be freaked out by it, and I've had my PS4 since launch.

GTA V is something like 65 GB with all of the updates.  I'm sure there will be installs over 100 GB soon.  What pisses me off is huge installs when you have the disc.  I'm playing through Mafia III right now and it's 50 something GB.

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

GTA V is something like 65 GB with all of the updates.  I'm sure there will be installs over 100 GB soon.  What pisses me off is huge installs when you have the disc.  I'm playing through Mafia III right now and it's 50 something GB.

Stuff that more utilizes PS4 Pro and later this year Scorpio specs will probably definitely get into an uncomfortable stratosphere, which is a huge problem considering more and more people are buying games exclusively in a digital format and many ISPs now have terrible data caps.

All done with Acts I and II of GoW4.  So far I am digging the story and yeah, XBox One games look SOOO PRETTY~!!! on a 4K flat screen.

I like the new kids and I marked out a bit for the return of Old Man Marcus.

Holy fuck, but they could tone down the frequency of the collectables.  I could barely appreciate the flashbacks to the Pendulum Wars and E-Day for having to pay strict attention to finding collectables in the limited window of opportunity I had. 

There were six available collectables in the Prologue alone and once you hit the mission objective, bye bye.

I see that GoW4 took a page out of Mass Effect 2.  I fucking hate attack mechs as enemies.

The CoG did not mess around with the rebuild.  Planet Sera was complete shit at the end of the Locust War and now the tech is more advanced than ever in the span of a quarter century.

And saving the best for last.  YOU CAN FUCKING GRAB ENEMIES OVER BARRIERS AND EXECUTE THEM IN NEARLY THEN SAME MANNER AS YOU CAN IN MASS EFFECT 3~!  FUCK YEAH~!!

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I feel like I'll be doing myself a massive disservice by not playing it in VR but conversely I don't want to shit my pants

My Resident Evil 5 (or as we prefer to tastelessly call it, Resident Ebola) gameplay experience literally consisted of repeated moments of "Holy crap, Sheva Alomar is hot...WHAT THE FUCK JUST MOVED BACK THERE???"

That was normal console mode back in the day.  I can only imagine what RE in VR would be like.  I'd probably have a seizure and fire bullets into the ceiling...

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I feel like I'll be doing myself a massive disservice by not playing it in VR but conversely I don't want to shit my pants

Watching someone stream it is far more fun. his reactions are brilliant.

The VR headset looks hella heavy though. neck problems abound.

Played a bit of Yakuza 0 last night and goddamn, what a great game.  The tone, the action, everything is like it was specifically crafted to the weird shit I like.  I killed a guy with a bicycle.  And fucking right I yelled HE'S GOT A BICYCLE in a Dusty Rhodes voice to myself

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

Watching someone stream it is far more fun. his reactions are brilliant.

The VR headset looks hella heavy though. neck problems abound.

I had motion sickness type issues with VR but the headsets are shockingly light. Never had any problems in that regard, they are well designed for weight distribution. 

12 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Played a bit of Yakuza 0 last night and goddamn, what a great game.  The tone, the action, everything is like it was specifically crafted to the weird shit I like.  I killed a guy with a bicycle.  And fucking right I yelled HE'S GOT A BICYCLE in a Dusty Rhodes voice to myself

In Sleeping Dogs you could kill a guy with a fish. It ruled. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yes you could and yes it did.

Gears of War 4 is not quite the grind that 3 was.  I got through Act III and got to Chapter 3 of Act IV before it was time to call it quits and get some sleep before getting to work tonight. 

I got my first XB1 Rare Achievement (Whoomp! There It is! (5) for executing an enemy that was grabbed by another player or NPC) in Chapter 5 before cashing in, so I was pretty stoked.

I need to start checking above my head more often.  I have a feeling I've been missing out on weapon upgrades because I don't always check my field of vision because I place priority on ground searches for collectables so odds are I have missed a few items that were suspended from ceilings by Swarm webbing.

I found a Mulcher and a Lancer like that, but I don't always remember to add up to my azimuth check.

I think I may be the worst Dropshot user ever.

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

Are they still working on that RE2 remake, or did they scrap that thing?

There were rumours a demo would be bundled with RE7 due to some code a reddit nerd spotted but bupkis. No updates since the initial announcement so *shrug*

I do hope it's still going ahead. I also hope they've redesigned the RPD as something modern and similar to the one in RE 1.5

DRAGON QUEST 1 [4] - Okay so 4 means "I love it" but I need to take a second to explain that when I say that, I mean I love the ways it shows it's age and the seedlings of the Good RPG Ideas that are littered throughout it. However, seeing that it is a 30 year old NES RPG, there's not really a lot going on. It's quaint, but, it's only quaint in retrospect. It was probably amazing for designers back in it's day, but I imagine someone playing it without like a historical curiosity angle would find this absolutely exhausting and tedious.

FAIRUNE [3] - Paper-thin dungeon crawler. Enjoyable, like it seemed it would be when I tried the demo a year or two ago, but nothing I'd recommend checking out unless you're like REALLY into the idea of kicking it in caves and solving simple puzzles.

PIRATE POP PLUS [2] - what's thinner than paper? This is exactly what it looks like it is on the videos, and while I can't guarantee it doesn't open up in some significant and interesting way, I'm out of patience with it. If you REALLY want more Bonanza Bros, this'll do it.

I'M WORRIED ABOUT HOW POORLY DOOM 2016 IS GOING TO AGE - Now, this could be that I've played it to my limit, making it through like two and a half times now, and most games don't stand up to that kind of replayability, but the sudden stop that has ended my third playthrough (and first on the PC) worries me. I think there's a better than average chance that games won't take the right lessons from what DOOM did right, and so the way the genre will push forwards as a result will wear thin, and make DOOM retroactively look worse. We'll see about that, but ultimately DOOM is not as good as it made me feel the first time through.

PIT PEOPLE [rating pending] - I'm not far enough in to have a firm conclusion as to how I think the game is going to ultimately fare with me, but there's enough on the pros and cons sides to make me want to keep going. I lean positively, but it will depend on the difficult task of keeping the humor going.

also starting now I am going to rate Hitman Maps individually instead of treating it like one game in general.
HITMAN- Paris [4] - Best Kill: Pushed Dalia onto Victor, without anyone seeing me push her or even suspecting me of it.
HITMAN- Sapienza [3] - Best Kill: Poisoned Silvio's spaghetti, walked out of the kitchen, looped all the way around the observatory to where he was leaning off the cliff and vomiting to kick him off.
HITMAN- Marrakesh [ongoing] - I'm really struggling with this map and it's so far the least fun the game has been. The idea of "There's hella people" is great, but, it's creating unhappy friction in the gameplay.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2017 at 4:12 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Was your MK2 experience on the Genesis? The arcade had 2 punch, 2 kick and block from day one.

If you're in Story Mode you will never do a fatality. I'd suggest doing an Arcade Ladder or 2 and maybe the first few Challenge Tower stages to learn some basics and get some unlock cash before throwing yourself at the long-but-rewarding story.

I only played MK1 in the arcade, never 2. 2 was just on Megadrive. I've done a bit of MK9 story mode, but it pissed me off by having a false ending. The tournament is over, you won, Earth is saved for now... oh wait, let's just have another tournament right now because that one didn't count because the bad guys didn't win. Already managed to complete an Arcade ladder, played as Kano all the way to the final, then couldn't beat Shao Khan because he takes no damage from anything (the X-Ray did as much damage to him as an uppercut does to anyone else), so I went cheap and played as Sheeva instead, and just did the Teleport Stomp over and over until he was dead. That was really easy.

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

You'd get an achievement/trophy for it too.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could kill people with fish in this actually.  You can literally send pro wrestlers to scout for weapons and crafting materials at Area 51, for example.

If you guys haven't played a Yakuza game, picture Shenmue but like, good?  Shenmue meets Sleeping Dogs maybe?  Limited size open world where you don't drive, the side stories are really fucking weird, strange things happen (I got a cannon out of a vending machine.  A full sized cannon that you pull out and put on your arm like Megatron and shoot people with) and there's a lot of distractions along the way.  Super serious stories, kind of long cutscenes like Sleeping Dogs, but it's the perfect balance between the weird shit and the serious story and not like, Saints Row 3-4 "LOOK AT US WE'RE TRYING TO BE A MEME" status at any time.  There's a bathroom fight scene that ends in a way that is 1000 times more badass than anything Sleeping Dogs did, and I love Sleeping Dogs and beat it and the DLC.

Distraction wise, so far, having the game two days but working ten hour days and also being sick and needing sleep and not really able to play it that much:

I suck at bowling as much as I do in real life

I'm way worse at Karaoke in the game than I am in real life

Probably better at Disco dancing than I am in real life.  The mini game for this one is pretty fun, kind of a puzzle game mixed with a rhythm game.

Random vending machines are fucking random, dude.  You pay 10,000 yen for random shit.  Once, it was a bottle of champagne.  Once it was the giant cannon.  

When you go in a liquor store you can check out the different magazines there (it shows you a cover and a description of what's in it.  Lots of old manga nostalgia I guess).  One is Famitsu, but since it's 1988, it's still called Famicom Tsushin, so hey let's reference the Famicom in a Sony exclusive game.

All this shit is barely playing, and not even getting to the second protagonist yet.