DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

As a massive fan of everything Phantom of the Opera, I'm actually hoping that gets made. At the very least it can't be as bad Argento's version, where Julian Sands is not disfigured at all and has sex with rats. 

Well, it's clear that the Rock will be in just about any giant piece of shit as long as he gets paid.

I wonder if the Rock ever considers that he's actively torpedoing the length of his movie career or if he just doesn't care as long as he makes more money than anyone else ever by the time he stops getting offers.

Its not like he has a large range or anything. He's a movie star more than an actor, and I imagine he'll be working almost as long as he wants to, there are a LOT of shitty movies each year, and Vin Diesel can't star in all of them.

When The Rock wants to be comedic, he is hilarious and when he wants to be an action hero, he is complete badass.

The problem with The Rock is that you can tell when he's in it for the paycheck.

Vin Diesel has the common decency to try and fool you and himself into believing that he really does want to be in something like The Last Witch Hunter.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, looking at this, all I can think is half of those movies probably won't get made and this "dark universe" will just fail.

The only thing I thought looking at that list: I aspire to have the ability to lose hundreds of millions of dollars with no shame at all during some point in life.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The only thing I thought looking at that list: I aspire to have the ability to lose hundreds of millions of dollars with no shame at all during some point in life.

Or that. That would be nice.

Get paid 20 million to play The Wolfman or Mitch Baywatch.

Or make maybe half that and have to take back bumps courtesy of Dolph Ziggler or get his head split open by Brock.

I think Rock's making fine calls with his career.

(As long as he doesn't go for that live action Cowboy Bebop.)

• Like 1

No one said he has to go back to wrestling. He just makes a ton of shit movies. That he's been able to withstand all of that and still pull a ridiculous paycheck is some kind of a miracle. He's a talented actor too, or at least I think he is. He could exercise a little more care with regards to his film projects and actually appear in good movies that aren't in the Fast and Furious franchise. 

I mean technically the Universal monsters were already appearing in each other's films so they aren't stealing that idea but I just don't see it working if they are going with the action/adventure approach. If they are more suspense and horror then they could be fun.   The Mummy does not interest me much.  However, the critics embargo lifts tomorrow afternoon so let's find out what they have to say about it.  I have seen some positive fan reactions on twitter. 

23 hours ago, (BP) said:

As a massive fan of everything Phantom of the Opera, I'm actually hoping that gets made. At the very least it can't be as bad Argento's version, where Julian Sands is not disfigured at all and has sex with rats

Wait, come again? (EDIT: Pardon the pun)

Speaking of horror movies involving Julian Sands, I'll die on the hill of Warlock: The Armageddon being awesome. 

If these flicks actually make any money it would be hilarious to see them reboot Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man. 

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

No one said he has to go back to wrestling. He just makes a ton of shit movies. That he's been able to withstand all of that and still pull a ridiculous paycheck is some kind of a miracle. He's a talented actor too, or at least I think he is. He could exercise a little more care with regards to his film projects and actually appear in good movies that aren't in the Fast and Furious franchise. 

I don't have rose coloured glasses when it comes to The Rock. It's not like as a wrestler he was putting on 5 star classics or had any subtle performances. As a wrestler he was akin to Stallone the 90s so why would his film career be any different? This guy is like Metallica or Brian Johnson era AC/DC , incredibly base, naturally he's gonna appear in sequels & dumb shit.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, come again? (EDIT: Pardon the pun)

NSFW?

Spoiler

13.jpg

Anyway...since they were going to do a Jump Street/MIB crossover at one point, Tatum and Hill Meet Frankenstein should be on the table. 

So, he puts rats down his pants? That isn't very well advised. In all honestly I didn't even know Argento directed that film. It had to be the official sign that his career was over because Stendhal Syndrome was already weird enough, and Sleepless was a complete ripoff of his previous work. Phantom was the shit in the sandwich between those two I guess. 

16 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

The Last Witch Hunter was based on Vin's D&D campaign, I'm *pretty* sure he wanted to be in it.

He even has a character sheet for his witch hunter.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

NSFW?

Reveal hidden contents

13.jpg

Anyway...since they were going to do a Jump Street/MIB crossover at one point, Tatum and Hill Meet Frankenstein should be on the table. 

Technically, that is Sony Pictures Entertainment but nobody owns the rights to film Frankenstein. Thus, a threeway of competing Frankenstein films between Universal's shit universe, SPE's Jump Street Frankenstein, and Fox's McAvoy/Radcliffe sequel or prequel of a film that made negative money the the B.O. is feasible. We already got like multiple Boston Marathon bombing and Robin Hood films. We're getting two King Arthur related films within 30 days of each other. Why the hell not?

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We already got like multiple Boston Marathon bombing and Robin Hood films.

We're getting two King Arthur related films within 30 days of each other. Why the hell not?

There's no need for future Robin Hood films as they won't star Errol Flynn or Alan Rickman.

44 minutes ago, zev said:

There's no need for future Robin Hood films as they won't star Errol Flynn or Alan Rickman.

Hollywood has to make one of these medieval/overblown CGI fantasy films work if it is the last thing they do.