DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

As noted in the main thread

By Mike Johnson on 2018-03-05 23:36:00
WWE will be instituting a new championship belt after Wrestlemania season ends, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources.

While Wrestlemania 34 will feature the tournament final crowning a new Cruiserweight champion, there are already plans in the works to create a Cruiserweight Tag Team championship for the 205 Live brand.  The belts would give WWE a third set of Tag Team champions and bring forth the first Cruiserweight Tag Team championship seen nationally in the United States since the demise of WCW in 2001.

There is no word yet on the timetable as to when the belts will be rolled out, but several championship designs have been worked on internally and we are told that the company recently finalized plans for the look of the championships.

The addition of the belts are a sign that the company intends to continue to build the 205 Live brand, which has seen a remarkable turnaround last month when Triple H took the reigns of the brand over, focusing more on the athleticism and in-ring action of the company's Cruiserweight division.

Even though it's the latest incarnation of throwing two guys of the same race in to a new Tag Team("GODDAMMIT, THEY ALL LOOK LIKE, PAL"), Tozawa/Itami has the potential to be pretty fun.

As sad as I am that Drew hasn't opened up Microsoft Office in a few months, Serious Gulak is great as well. 

Another awesome effort from Buddy Murphy tonight. Dude has been bringing it lately dating back to the NXT Florida loops. Ali was solid too and I think he's probably the most genuinely likable guy on the 205 roster. His pre-recorded promo earlier in night was really good work too.

Both matches were pretty damn great, as is per tradition with this tournament. Buddy Murphy is a freak with that build and athleticism, and he just seems like one of those guys who just "get" wrestling very well imo. I understand why he lost, and it was a in a roll up fashion to protect him a bit, but man he screams Top Heel in this division in 3-4 months. He's basically Tony Nese except he does the little things Nese never seems to get.

That isn't to take anything away from Ali, who is also very very good. As is Gulak and Andrews for that matter. God the 205 roster rules right now. More people need to be watching this. We are at the final 4 of this tournament, and no matter who wins, I'll like the pick. If I have one fault with this tournament, I'd make the finals a 4 way because WWE tends to be fantastic at putting together big multiman matches now a days, and those 4 could probably do a special one, and I want all of them to get the Mania payday.

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Even though it's the latest incarnation of throwing two guys of the same race in to a new Tag Team("GODDAMMIT, THEY ALL LOOK LIKE, PAL"), Tozawa/Itami has the potential to be pretty fun.

I almost lost it when Drake said, “I know you’re wondering why I put the two of you together in a tag team.”  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I almost lost it when Drake said, “I know you’re wondering why I put the two of you together in a tag team.”  

I am so, so happy that Spud has gotten his big break. Dude is killing it as a hybrid of fair/evil general manager.

Also, Gulak is fucking incredible. That seamless promo link between old and new character followed up by him beating the shit out of Andrews. If Gulak had the build of Reigns, he’d be the focus of Raw right now. 

Who decided to rib Drake by not cutting his botch out of Murphy's weigh-in?

That flub aside, another great episode.  I liked the difference between the two matches: Gulak and Andrews being totally disrespectful to each other compared to Ali and Murphy just being competitive.

Gulak slapping the crap out of Andrews in the opening lockup set the tone for the match.  I dig both guys right now: Gulak the cruiserweight murder machine and the high flying, stage diving Andrews.  I half thought that Gulak was going to get himself DQed for not releasing the dragon sleeper soon enough.

Ali and Murphy was such a well done match.  Murphy is stronger than Ali, so Ali has to use his speed.  WHOOPS, Murphy is also faster than Ali!  So now Ali has to catch a break, which he does with the incredible 450 splash onto Murphy's extended arm.  Murphy's main advantage is out the window, he can't hit his finisher, and his arm is so hurt that he couldn't even hold Ali down with a backslide.  Ali gets the win with a crucifix, again exploiting the injured arm. 

Once again, both guys are on fire.  Well, Ali has always been straight fire.  Murphy has been a revelation though, the best kept secret indeed.

I love that they sowed the seeds for the tag titles, as well.  Tozawa/Itami has to be a team that would be near the top.

The semifinals are... wow.  Cedric/Roddy could be the best match in the tournament and Gulak and Ali have always worked really well together.  Is this the match where Gulak's new found aggression winds up costing him?

There is no predictable match up for the finals, any combination would work, but Roddy vs. Gulak seems least likely.

Spoiler

Roddy and Pete Dunne have replaced Mustache Mountain in the Dusty Classic.

Edited by RIPPA
Spoiler is an NXT spoiler FYI

I loved Ali vs Murphy last night and am liking "I will break your arm" mode Drew Gulak, but goddamn I cannot understand how anyone in WWE could have watched last night's episode and think it's still a good idea to run this late in the night. You could literally see entire rows disappearing every time they cut to a wide shot of the crowd, and by the time the third match went out you could hear the echo of a small amount of people in a large room and hear individual chants very easily. That may have been the worst crowd attrition they have had yet, it looked like a legit 2/3 of the arena had left before even the final match went out.

6 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I loved Ali vs Murphy last night and am liking "I will break your arm" mode Drew Gulak, but goddamn I cannot understand how anyone in WWE could have watched last night's episode and think it's still a good idea to run this late in the night. You could literally see entire rows disappearing every time they cut to a wide shot of the crowd, and by the time the third match went out you could hear the echo of a small amount of people in a large room and hear individual chants very easily. That may have been the worst crowd attrition they have had yet, it looked like a legit 2/3 of the arena had left before even the final match went out.

I mean I’d blame the crowd itself. I could audibly hear some assholes going “too sweet, whoop whoop.” Like when you have that level of wrestling knowledge and are sleeping on rock solid matches, you’re just an asshole.

I get fans trying to hijack Raw, I don’t get fans being assholes towards good WWE stuff. I’m a Bullet Club/The Elite fan, but that shit isn’t the time and place.

• Like 2

There are people who if Murphy and Ali had the same exact match in front of 30 people at a high school gymnasium would be calling it the greatest thing they've ever seen.  I've met people who are anti-everything WWE related but it's pretty stupid to buy a ticket and put money into the pockets of something you hate. 

I wasn't really directing venom at the chants itself, it was more towards WWE's continued stubbornness at throwing the 205 guys out there after SDL - and for now, MMC - in front of folks calling it a night, like folks at 1045pm are itching to see Tosawa and Itami against two jobbers after they already saw a kickass match with AJ Styles and the feel-good vibes of the Mixed Match Challenge. 

And it seems especially worse since they stopped promoting the division on RAW.

• Like 1

Has there ever been given a reason why they are so adamant to have 205 air live right after Smackdown? Why can't they either air it live from 7-8 on the Network, or tape it before SD and then air it after SD on the Network. It's just such an obvious flaw in the plan to put these guys out there in front of this crowd after they've sat through SDL already. Putting them out there as the first action of the night pretty much guarantees a hot crowd, or at least one that doesn't empty out the arena while they're putting on great matches. 

59 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

Yeah. 205 Live as an SD pre show would be great. Those guys would get cheered, and the SD guys who are already over wouldn’t suffer at all.

Or just treat 205 Live like NXT and tape it independently. 

You're right, but literally everyone has been saying this for the entire 16ish months the show has been on, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Ricochet could be so much more than that, but he really doesn't need to be because the overall roster is so stacked. 

I mean if they do 205 right with tours, tapings and network specials, these guys woyldall be better off than they would on Raw.

• Like 1

in answer to if he had reported they were going to start doing tapings of 205 Live.

If he said anything about it touring separately this week, I missed it, but I do tend to skim parts of the WON