DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

Iatmi/Dorado was nice enough while it lasted. I'm more interested in the eventual Itami/Metalik match. I do like that this little feud has played into a no. 1 contender match for Tozawa and Kalisto.

Was nice seeing Johnson again. Did they not acknowledge he participated in the CWC, or did I miss it?

Gulak/Ali was great. Gulak was vicious, and Ali was taking crazy/stupid bumps again. Loved Ali matching Gulak for attitude. It was great seeing the crowd get behind Ali towards the end. I'm happy for Ali though a part of me wishes Gulak went over. Ali/Cedrick at WM should be good.

If the the tag titles stuff is true I hope we get Gulak and Gallagher teaming up to tear people limbs out of their sockets.

As much as I love Drew Gulak, watching Mustafa Ali go from guy who jobbed in the 1st round of the CWC to a guy getting a mania match through nothing else but hard work and flat out earning it 100%. He's arguably the best guy in the company at making a match the crowd doesn't care about into a match a crowd is into. I do greatly enjoy Gulak, but I firmly believe that Ali honestly NEEDS to win this tournament at this point. As much as I enjoy Alexander, I believe completely that Ali should clearly be the face of this division going forward. Ali should win the tournament, Gulak should beat him for it shortly after that, and should be the chase from there.

BTW, fun fact to remember: Mustafa Ali wasn't even supposed to be in the CWC. He was a last minute replacement because one of the others failed to make weight. He's taken that small opening and worked hard enough that now he is in a Wrestlemania singles match.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Was nice seeing Johnson again. Did they not acknowledge he participated in the CWC, or did I miss it?

They mentioned it at the beginning of the match.

My favorite part of the night was Drake telling Dasha about the Tozawa/Kalisto bout and then proudly saying something to the effect of "now Dasha, THAT'S how you turn a positive in to a negative" as the segment ended. They really need to start pre-taping some of this backstage stuff on here. Wasn't there a flub a few weeks back during a Murphy weigh-in or something?

And I get that. I honestly do. However, as someone who has followed Cedric for years and watched him get under-appreciated and witnessed his growth, I am going for Alexander for the sake that the guy literally is a completely different wrestler now. He moves like Ricochet and Will Ospreay now. He has the moves and is probably the most versatile wrestler in the WWE.  Cedric has been putting on good to great matches for years only to put over far less talented people. The dude was so unappreciated that before CWC, he literally had no idea where he was going to do with career after ROH shat the bed with him. TNA did not even want him. FUCKING TNA. Cedric has earned that title. He should have been the one to take it off Neville. He has never gotten a proper shot at that title and honestly, has been booking hell since 205 Live fucking started. A literal 2 year feud with Noam Dar over Alicia Fox? No. Mustafa at least has had a compelling feud with Gulak, but Cedric was stuck with Alicia for a better part of a year.  I love Mustafa, but I feel Cedric needs that title first and foremost 

Mustafa Ali has this underdog babyface schtick down cold.  I thought that Gulak had murdered him several times during the match, including yet another one of those insane bumps off the ring post.  The fact that Ali and Gulak were able to get that half filled, fairly quiet crowd so hot at the end is a testament to their talent.

To be fair to the crowd, if I was subjected to a TJP squash match, I'd be waiting for the sweet release of death.  At least it was nice seeing Kenneth Johnson again.

More good things from the Lucha House Party and Tozawa/Itami.  Are we building to a Tozawa heel turn or Itami snapping and attacking Tozawa?

Kinda surprised Ali went over (though with all the video packages I shouldn't have been) as this means the WM match will be face vs face and two guys with similar styles.  Gulak has really been on fire lately but I hope he gets called up after this as he really deserves to succeed on a bigger stage.

Tonight's show was very good! 

Kickoffs with a good Andrews vs. Nese match that sets up Andrews vs. Gulak next week. Ali and Cedric have a face to face promo that adds extra layers to their match at WM with Cedric saying he will rip Ali's heart out and stop it to death to win the title then Ali in turn says he will as well. Ali adds that Cedric writes an amazing story but right before the fairy tale ending he runs out of ink and will as well come Mania. The four way is right on par with some of the recent tournament matches with some very cool 3 way and 4 way with the highlight being the nasty triple Senton bomb by Tozawa. 

I found Ali's point hypocritical as he got beat by Neville twice and two separate  occasions got his ass kicked. Cedric has only received one shot at the title and won by disqualification.  /this entire tournament is predicated off the fact that Cedric did have a shot, but Enzo fucked up and got fired. He pinned Ali already and painting this picture as Cedric as this person who always comes short applies to Ali as well. Both of these guys always came short. Cedric was overlooked and Ali came from being a replacement to being in Wrestlemania. I want their match to get 10-15 minutes of action on the main show since most of the card seems to be tag matches. The only matches that I see getting 20+ are Charlotte vs Asuka,  AJ vs Shinsuke, and Roman vs Brock

The opening match with Mark Andrews and Tony Nese was pretty fun, with Andrews finally getting tired of trying to outhustle Nese and trading strikes with him.  I was pretty surprised at the finish because I thought they'd move on to a match between Nese and Gulak, but I'm up for more high flying and stage diving.

Much love for the four way match.  They found interesting ways to avoid the usual WWE multi-person match trope of two people in the ring at one time and everybody else in the match pissing off to the outside while they're getting their stuff in.  TJP's multiple submission spots were pretty rad and I laughed uproariously at poor Tozawa suffering the Indian Deathlock while TJP was preoccupied with wrestling Kalisto.  The Bow and Arrow/pin attempt/Senton Bomb spot was pretty wild, too.  Not too surprising that Buddy won but he looked great throughout the match again.  Like I said a few weeks ago, he's been a revelation.

...Alright fine, Mustafa made his goddamn point. However, if Ali wins, I expect Cedric to be pushed. I goddamn expect a transformation of the likes that will propel him to stardom. If you write out Cedric in favor of this last minute effort from Ali and continue as if Cedric was not the guy who had the best match at the CWC or Cedric was not the guy who was buried in stupid angles from the moment this show started and Cedric was not the guy whose effort did not just begin at Wrestlemania but continuous even matches that weren’t televised, I am going to be annoyed that yet another company decided to overlook Cedric’s talent. Cedric has been in the ring with likes of AJ Styles and Okada and hanged with them when he just started. Motherfucking fans kept confusing him for Caprice Coleman and ACH or Shane Strickland. But Cedric never got the push he earned. Hangman Paige fucking did in Cedric’s feud with Strong. When Cedric was paired with Vega, fucking Moose got the push while Cedric languished the same fucking position. 

Now he is in the WWE off of sheer effort and he is a completely different wrestler. He didn’t just lose 25 pounds, he fucking got a shit load of agility and is moving like a high flier of the likes of Kallisto. And this heir apparent business stinks of the “guy has a lotta potential but he is missing something to win the big one” bullshit booking angle that Cedric has been saddled with for years. Cedric has never won the big one. He didn’t come from the indies with a huge following like Ricochet, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, or Low ki so this idea that he expected to be a star knowing that seems like a projection. In fact, he is the anti-Daniel Bryan. A guy who didn’t get the recognition from so-called more egalitarian indies than he does in the WWE. 

If they immediately decide to move past Cedric and Cedric continues to languish in the mid-card of 205 Live in favor of Gulak or Murphy, I am going to be pissed. 

4 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

...Alright fine, Mustafa made his goddamn point. However, if Ali wins, I expect Cedric to be pushed. I goddamn expect a transformation of the likes that will propel him to stardom. If you write out Cedric in favor of this last minute effort from Ali and continue as if Cedric was not the guy who had the best match at the CWC or Cedric was not the guy who was buried in stupid angles from the moment this show started and Cedric was not the guy whose effort did not just begin at Wrestlemania but continuous even matches that weren’t televised, I am going to be annoyed that yet another company decided to overlook Cedric’s talent. Cedric has been in the ring with likes of AJ Styles and Okada and hanged with them when he just started. Motherfucking fans kept confusing him for Caprice Coleman and ACH or Shane Strickland. But Cedric never got the push he earned. Hangman Paige fucking did in Cedric’s feud with Strong. When Cedric was paired with Vega, fucking Moose got the push while Cedric languished the same fucking position. 

Now he is in the WWE off of sheer effort and he is a completely different wrestler. He didn’t just lose 25 pounds, he fucking got a shit load of agility and is moving like a high flier of the likes of Kallisto. And this heir apparent business stinks of the “guy has a lotta potential but he is missing something to win the big one” bullshit booking angle that Cedric has been saddled with for years. Cedric has never won the big one. He didn’t come from the indies with a huge following like Ricochet, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, or Low ki so this idea that he expected to be a star knowing that seems like a projection. In fact, he is the anti-Daniel Bryan. A guy who didn’t get the recognition from so-called more egalitarian indies than he does in the WWE. 

If they immediately decide to move past Cedric and Cedric continues to languish in the mid-card of 205 Live in favor of Gulak or Murphy, I am going to be pissed. 

But wasn't that everyone in the roster?

3 people got ""over"" in the pre-reboot 205: Neville, Tozawa and Gulak.
Neville got his fair share of challengers, but Tozawa had a pretty mediocre feud with Kendrick and a very short feud with Gulak. Gulak the poor bastard, never won any feud ever, and became the highlight of some very dark times.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JetKinen said:

3 people got ""over"" in the pre-reboot 205: Neville, Tozawa and Gulak.
Neville got his fair share of challengers, but Tozawa had a pretty mediocre feud with Kendrick and a very short feud with Gulak. Gulak the poor bastard, never won any feud ever, and became the highlight of some very dark times.

Uhm, Gallagher was more over than any of those guy before they just sort of stopped doing shit with him. Aries was also pretty over. Really it was the Neville push that kind of fucked things up since Neville himself wasn't super over while guys like Tozawa, Aries, and Gallagher were kind of sacrificed to him.

• Like 4

They built the division around Neville, fed most of the roster to him, and then whiffed on it paying off because Enzo was forced in there. It seemed like he might have eventually dropped the title to Ali or Cedric anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Uhm, Gallagher was more over than any of those guy before they just sort of stopped doing shit with him. Aries was also pretty over. Really it was the Neville push that kind of fucked things up since Neville himself wasn't super over while guys like Tozawa, Aries, and Gallagher were kind of sacrificed to him.

You're right.

I think Tozawa was more or less on the same level of Gallagher, to be honest, he just started catching up later. I will never understand why Tozawa didn't kept with the Titus Worldwide connection.

• Like 1