DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Uh, she's the daughter of the Mad King and has three dragons and an invading horde of foreigners at her back so she and Tyrion really should be extremely concerned about what the Westerosi think of her arrival and her intentions.

True but all I'm saying is her decision to be a lovable conqueror isn't working and it cost her most of her fleet and a good portion of two houses. She should have listened to Lady Olena. 

Did the Sand Snakes get a raw deal on this show?  I know they are loved in a lot of places and are very good fighters. Oberyn was represented well but other than him I feel like maybe the rest didn't look too great.  Of course, you could say that they were blindsided by Euron and that's why they were outmatched but Euron was beating their ass by himself it seemed.  I don't know if that's how it'd go in the books. 

They were nothing characters in the books.  But when George goes 10 years between books, it gives fans' imaginations a lot of time to run wild.  Most of the Sand Snake mystique was ginned up by thirsty readers and doesn't exist on the page.

• Like 3

Jaime's rep as a swordsman is definitely well deserved. Theon said that he saw Jaime cut down 10 guys singlehandedly before they were able to capture him. Jaime nearly beat Brienne on the bridge despite being malnourished (he'd been a prisoner for like a year at that point) and having his hands chained together. 

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Hound vs the Mountain is another, but more and more I don't think this fight happens. GoT's version of the Shield is so far away from Kings Landing and I don't see the Mountain ever leaving that place. 

They might be far to the North, and heading North right now. But once the Wall falls, and once Winterfell falls, everyone in the North is running South as quickly as possible.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Do we know if The Mountain technically undead? I'm just wondering of the Night King can like "turn" him or something at will? That wouldn't be a bad end for Cersei.

He was mortally wounded and/or pronounced "beyond help" by Pycelle.  Qyburn did ?????????????????????? and he walks around, silent and never removing his helmet.  We don't know if he saved Gregor's life, technically saved his life, or technically didn't save his life.

if he's a zombie zombie he should be nice and hackable.  If he's a voodoo-style zombie, presumably not.  If he's some kind of golem [the other popular fan theory] who knows?

It's not much clearer book side, although Gregor Clegane is "officially" dead because his skull was [allegedly] sent to Dorne as an apology for all the Martells he had killed (incl. Oberyn) and the Silent Kingsguard goes by the alias Ser Robert Strong.  Of course, everybody knows who it is because Gregor is legitimately gigantic [seriously think Big Show/Andre level] and is not called "The Mountain That Rides" flippantly.

• Like 1

The idea with the Cleganes is that the Hound is a normal sized Clegane, whereas the Mountain is what happens if a naturally huge guy also has Acromegaly (like Andre and Show). Nearer to eight feet than seven and that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Jaime's rep as a swordsman is definitely well deserved. Theon said that he saw Jaime cut down 10 guys singlehandedly before they were able to capture him. Jaime nearly beat Brienne on the bridge despite being malnourished (he'd been a prisoner for like a year at that point) and having his hands chained together. 

I also liked Euron's line from last week about how it was glorious like a dance seeing Jamie storm in during a battle.

The fight with Ned should have been more lopsided, but I feel like they did give Jamie his due a few times in Season 1. There were some scenes with Selmy where you could sense the admiration he had for Jamie as a swordsman. I do wish they would have focused more on his reputation as a fighter to really drive home the loss of his hand.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has been one of the most underrated cast members. Overshadowed by Headey and Dinklage at times, but he has really knocked his big moments out of the park.  The bath house scene with Brienne is still one of the best scenes in the series for my money.

It's funny that so many people online are freaking out about the time jumps.  The plot is speeding up for sure, but the quick travel/slow travel stuff is nothing new.  Jamie and Cersie went from King's Landing to Winterfell in like two scenes in the premiere.  Jon and Tyrion were at the Wall in no time and it essentially took Bran a full season to get there. Littlefinger and Varys have been all over the map.

I don't really fault them for it. I'll take an extra 5 minutes of Jon and Dany going back and forth over a travel scene and I'm digging the frenetic pace

22 minutes ago, Jrag said:

It's funny that so many people online are freaking out about the time jumps.  The plot is speeding up for sure, but the quick travel/slow travel stuff is nothing new.  Jamie and Cersie went from King's Landing to Winterfell in like two scenes in the premiere.  Jon and Tyrion were at the Wall in no time and it essentially took Bran a full season to get there. Littlefinger and Varys have been all over the map.

I don't really fault them for it. I'll take an extra 5 minutes of Jon and Dany going back and forth over a travel scene and I'm digging the frenetic pace

Just to play devil's advocate on the idea that people going places is lost time. There is something to be said for the fact that so much of what was paid off this week in terms of Jon and Tyrion's relationship and backstory happened because they traveled together and we saw it.  In fact how much of Tyrion's credibility with some characters comes from things they heard he did/saw while traveling?

Brienne/Pod

Brienne/Jaimie

Arya/Hound

Tyrion/The World

A lot of important character development happened during long realistic travels. So it's not like it can't be important.

• Like 3

Character development is definitely a huge part of why this show is so great but we've had that for 6 seasons.  Pretty much everyone who is left we know what their deal is,  it's the beginning of the end game and you can feel the desperation in every scene.  The pace is 100MPH and it fits with the emotions everyone is dealing with. 

Oh for sure. I guess because the characters are already so well established I'm fine with skipping over it.

The relationship between Jon and Davos, for example. We never really see it develop on screen, but you understand why Davos would be drawn to Jon and vice versa. I would love 3 episodes worth of Jon/Davos travel scenes, but I don't really need them.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Jaime being the brother who kills her instead of Tyrion, who she has feared all these years, is beautifully poetic.

As far as we know, Arya is headed North now.

I thought the big doggy convinced her to dump that plan and go be a doggy and kill Cersei again.

Are interviews with the producers considered spoilers? This is pretty low on the spoiler scale, and I can't figure out how to do spoiler tags anymore, so:

The producers said the scene with the wolves was about showing that Arya, like Nymeria, is a lone wolf.  If that's true, it's hard to see how it makes sense for her to rejoin her family in Winterfell.  I figure she turned back around.

EDIT: while I was trying to figure out spoiler tags, piranesi said it first

18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She should have listened to Lady Olena. 

Listening to Olenna got Margaery blown up in a church and being fierce earned Olenna a goblet full of strangle toxin.

Dany should NOT listen to Olenna.

18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

True but all I'm saying is her decision to be a lovable conqueror isn't working and it cost her most of her fleet and a good portion of two houses.

As the Japansese say, "Such is war," and perhaps this bloody nose will help Dany take the imperious tone out of her voice when asking the North for help now that she's short on allies? 

It might also help if she were sincere in her humility.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jrag said:

I also liked Euron's line from last week about how it was glorious like a dance seeing Jamie storm in during a battle.

The fight with Ned should have been more lopsided, but I feel like they did give Jamie his due a few times in Season 1. There were some scenes with Selmy where you could sense the admiration he had for Jamie as a swordsman. I do wish they would have focused more on his reputation as a fighter to really drive home the loss of his hand.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has been one of the most underrated cast members. Overshadowed by Headey and Dinklage at times, but he has really knocked his big moments out of the park.  The bath house scene with Brienne is still one of the best scenes in the series for my money.

From what I can glean from reading through other GOT dedicated message boards, wikia lore, etc, they gave Ned a pretty big upgrade in fighting skills for the show. Book Ned wouldn't have stood a chance. And that's not saying that he wasn't a good fighter. It's more a testament to how good Jaime is supposed to be.

I think that Jamie Lannister's fighting skills are marginally overrated.  His duels with his more renowned opponents like Ned, Brienne, Big Belly Ben, and the Smiling Knight  have usually been interrupted or otherwise intervened upon, but the accolades he won by the age of 15 were pretty significant and novels do point out that he's never lost a Trial By Combat in defense of a Lannister and is pretty much the family champion.

So yeah, Jamie Lannister = badass swordsman.

Since I am a former D+D geek, I tend to go with the "Ice had more plusses than Jaime's normal steel" to explain away Ned being able to keep up with Jaime blow for blow in that duel. 

Jamie should've been a bit more than Ned's match if we're talking skill and natural ability alone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Able to cleave a horse's head clean off in a single swing and all that.

That spot was the first "holy shit" moment for both of us in the series.