DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

God damn, that Giant's arrow was both awesome and hilarious. The giant fucking scythe swingin' was close behind that.

One thing that struck me already when the Mountain first showed up this season was that he never looked truly intimidating. He was big, sure, but he just lacked something that made you shit your pants like you really should when seeing a guy with his story. It's like Giant Gonzalez: he was a very, very big man, but not intimidating in the least. As much as I loved the Oberyn/Mountain fight in the previous episode, the Mountain just looked like a stereotypical 'big bully' type of guy instead of the monster he is. That impression was magnified this episode with any scene with Styr (the bald Wildling leader). He scares the shit out of people by just being there. He looks, he moves, he acts and he fights like the scariest, most intimidating motherfucker around. The Mountain didn't have that at all, which surprises and disappoints me. Also, Styr had some really cool axe-swinging moves. Very savage.

I can't wait for the last episode. Surely it'll be impossible to cram everything from the books into that one scene, unless it's a three-hour special? Hopefully in that case they'll just save up some stuff for the next season so everything gets the time it deserves.

Now, excuse me while I go watch 13 Assassins. I could do with another one-hour battle scene.

Man, I totally agree on the Mountain/Styr comparison.  I was thinking the same thing without even realizing it.

Reading (non-spoiler) reviews around the way, I'm feeling really glad that I haven't read the books.  Book readers seem to be really shitting on this because things aren't going the way they want them to, but TV viewers were just delighted to see the giants and scythes and good guys kicking ass and stuff. 

Also hearing some bitching that this episode was too "predictable."  Really?  I thought Oberyn's death was way more predictable than what was going to happen on the Wall, and certainly less obvious than Tyrion surviving next week. 

I also thought that as far as TV pacing goes, this episode worked because we really did need a break from King's Landing. Oberyn's death was the most painful since Ned Stark*, and I'm fine with the showrunners giving us a chance to step away and just enjoy some awesome fantasy battle goodness.  And the score.  Holy shit the score was SO GOOD.  If I have a complaint, it's that I really do think the entire Wall arc for the season should have been wrapped up.  Maybe cut a little off from the beginning in order to fit in Jon talking with Mance. 

*Red Wedding was too cool to really be all that gut wrenching.  You saw that and just went "goddamn, that was so well done!"  Plus Robb and Cat had been really annoying around that time, making dumbshit decision after dumbshit decision, so they weren't very sympathetic.

The Mountain is one of the biggest misses of the show, and it probably isn't their fault.  In the books, like the show, most of the things he does are off screen, but almost every POV character has some story about how crazily ruthless and brutal he is.  He is basically like a hurricane that destroys everything in his path except instead of rain and wind he uses rape and murder.  He is basically the a mix of the unmitigated evil of the Boltons with the strength of one of the Wildling's giants.  It is also strongly suggested that he has some sort of brain injury that gives him terrible migraines that keep him in a horrible mood.  Tywin basically unleashes him on the Riverlands to do his worst on the crops, people, and whatever else he runs into during the war.  He is like a walking plague of locusts.  On the show he is just a huge guy who shows up to kill that guy we really liked.

I had a similar disappointment with Thoros. I'm going to put this in Spoiler tags, although it doesn't contain any 'story spoilers' from the books. Still, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thoros is mentioned twice in the first two books: the first time that he won the melee tournament with his 'flaming word' and the second time that he was one of the people who caught Jaime Lannister. Those two one-sentence mentions in two whole books already established him as a badass for me. Then in the third book, before he shows up, someone says Thoros was the only man who could out-drink Robert, and later someone else says the only reason he became a Red Priest was because the robes hid the wine stains. And at this time he hadn't even shown up in the books yet, and already he was one of my favourite characters. And, when he did show up, he had a really cool and badass aura about him that the TV series doesn't have.

The Mountain character suffers from a similar problem, I think. It's almost impossible to have such a character not disappoint after all the rumours. But still, another actor would have helped already. I was hoping they'd get someone like Nathan Jones to play The Mountain. He does have the intimidating factor. Or even the actor from the first season. He yelled, 'Sword!' and I leapt from my seat, scrambling to hand him one.

I think they did a good job having this episode just focus on the Wall. Constantly cutting away to another part of the world would have deflated the suspense. This was perfect. I'm just anxious about how they'll wrap it up in one show with so many things still to happen.

This may be a spoiler-y question, but I've heard people say that there's not much to work with in the next couple of books.  Could they be holding off some of the bigger stuff until next season, or is there a time frame thing (like, the next books starts X much time in the future) that would make it all screwy? 

This may be a spoiler-y question, but I've heard people say that there's not much to work with in the next couple of books.  Could they be holding off some of the bigger stuff until next season, or is there a time frame thing (like, the next books starts X much time in the future) that would make it all screwy? 

People just don't like the fourth and fifth books as much as the first three, that's all.  Seasons 3 and 4 have mostly been Book 3 and that suggests books 4 and 5 will be squeezed a bit more in order to keep to 7 Seasons/7 Books plan.  Which they're fine with because again they don't like 4 and 5 as much so cutting from them is "a good thing".

Now, since books 6 and 7 don't exist yet the show is getting close (especially in some plot lines) to reaching the end of published source material, which may be forcing the show to start developing and using its own ideas on how to get to the endpoints as early as now.  Which can include stretching out some bits and cutting others.  But nobody can entirely be sure what because we're entering uncharted territory and book readers don't know what's coming anymore, either.  They/we like to think they do based on years of anticipatory speculation, but they really don't :)

• Like 1

I have to disagree with some of the criticisms. This was like a TNA PPV in '05 or '06. I wasn't really invested in anything prior but it was fun and I wouldn't mind coming back for more.

Edit: Bobby (or anyone else who can answer this), does anyone know when books 6 and 7 are coming out?

People just don't like the fourth and fifth books as much as the first three, that's all.  Seasons 3 and 4 have mostly been Book 3 and that suggests books 4 and 5 will be squeezed a bit more in order to keep to 7 Seasons/7 Books plan.  Which they're fine with because again they don't like 4 and 5 as much so cutting from them is "a good thing".

Now, since books 6 and 7 don't exist yet the show is getting close (especially in some plot lines) to reaching the end of published source material, which may be forcing the show to start developing and using its own ideas on how to get to the endpoints as early as now.  Which can include stretching out some bits and cutting others.  But nobody can entirely be sure what because we're entering uncharted territory and book readers don't know what's coming anymore, either.  They/we like to think they do based on years of anticipatory speculation, but they really don't :)

The people who don't like book 4 are wrong, by the way.  The problem with it is that the characters are split between 4 and 5 and everyone's favorite characters are in 5.  A lot of book 4 is the introduction of new characters and the rantings of crazy people, but it is really good stuff.  I really think people's biggest problem is that the character that appears most is probably the least likeable person in the entire series.  Being in that person's mind is fascinating and you understand a lot of what happened in the series because of that person's thoughts.  The next season will be interesting because it is basically the Westeros version of Hump Day.  It is basically the Westeros version of Hump Day. 

• Like 1

I have to disagree with some of the criticisms. This was like a TNA PPV in '05 or '06. I wasn't really invested in anything prior but it was fun and I wouldn't mind coming back for more.

Edit: Bobby (or anyone else who can answer this), does anyone know when books 6 and 7 are coming out?

When Martin dies and Brandon Sanderson writes them?

• Like 2

Most of the time during Jon Snow scenes my mind wanders and I start to think 'I wonder who the Hound and Arya are killing right now?' So this episode was a definite improvement on that at least. 

Only on this show could 'those are giants riding mammoths down there' not sound absurd.

The Mountain character suffers from a similar problem, I think. It's almost impossible to have such a character not disappoint after all the rumours. But still, another actor would have helped already. I was hoping they'd get someone like Nathan Jones to play The Mountain. He does have the intimidating factor. Or even the actor from the first season. He yelled, 'Sword!' and I leapt from my seat, scrambling to hand him one.

I don't think Nathan Jones would have been a good fit for the Mountain, but I do agree that the actor who played him in season 1 is the best thus far. I'm sure this has been mentioned here before, but why did they end up recasting such a terrifying seven foot tall actor? They apparently aren't that easy to come by.

The first Mountain was awesome and I liked this guy too, but it's hard establishing a monster when he only had one great scene way back in season 1 (the SWORD~!) and disappeared until now, plus he was recast 2 times.

Book 4 is awesome, don't let book readers tell you otherwise, my dick goes from 6 to 9 everytime I recall a particular bad ass dude introduced in that book.

I think they let Conan Stevens* go because he got cast in the Hobbit (doing Mo-Cap for CGI) and his availability window got too small. Either that or they thought he sucked as an actor (hence him only getting one line, and Tyrion getting knocked out before that battle rather than during it - the plan was to film from Tyrion's POV while the Mountain mashed people up). 

Most of the time during Jon Snow scenes my mind wanders and I start to think 'I wonder who the Hound and Arya are killing right now?' So this episode was a definite improvement on that at least. 

Only on this show could 'those are giants riding mammoths down there' not sound absurd.

I've always liked Jon Snow since i'm a sucker for all good and just characters (Cap. America) and i usually understand why some people might find them somewhat boring at times. But this last episode made everyone in the entire Night's Watch look like complete badasses, if someone didn't like them after that then they never will. 

Not talking about you btw, just in general.

• Like 1

Book 4 is awful. But have no fear, show-watchers. The venerable Weiss & Benioff have already taken steps this season to alleviate many of that book's problems, so you'll be spared most of it's awfulness.