DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX

Dolfan in NYC

That wasn't as much of a Sisyphean effort to get through as Wrestlemania, so I guess Summerslam had that going for it.

I can barely remember what happened on the first half of the show as it was that forgettable.

Why did they bother having Sasha win the title if she had nagging injuries/wanted time off?  

New Day really needed to drop the belts here.  They've had them long enough and don't need them to be over, plus you could have had Big E come back to help them re-win the belts at some point.

Cena/AJ was the apex of Forced Epics.  As someone who has found Cena a total dullard most of his career, I've enjoyed a lot of his recent work with a lot of the newer guys.  This was a total overkill and I'm already dreading Cena's comeback in a few months.

I wonder if that was the original plan for Reigns/Russev or if they called an audible because the show was going too long?  If they were giving Russev and Lana time off for their honeymoon and whatnot, why not have him drop the title and then get beaten down that bad?

Balor/Rollins was fine but they really shot their wad by debuting the demon gimmick on Raw.  The right guy won but there really needed to be a double turn here.

Ziggler/Ambrose was just there.  There is basically nowhere for Ziggler to go from here and that's unfortunate because he was on fire in the weeks leading up.

Lesnar/Orton was about as crap as I'd expected.  Lesnar has been mailing it in bigtime and this was no exception.

I saw someone point out elsehwere that the universal belt looks like a fruit rollup.

5 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm prepared to say that Cena is the worst big match worker in the company, if not all of wrestling. He's become Davey Richards in jorts.

The truth is, WWE main event style has become unsustainable. The only way they have of keeping the audience's attention outside of reversals and kick-outs of finishers is with holy-shit spots, so you end up with injuries like Sasha's tonight. They need to figure out a way to put the genie back in the bottle.

Agreed.

Love Rock/Austin and Taker/Shawn, but it's just gotten to be too much. I find it boring.

How am I supposed to be excited by AJ doing his "finisher" for a second time if he already did it earlier in the match?

My God this was dreadful. The show peaked with a Charlotte/Sasha match that was really good, but could've been great without a few early Charlotte botches(and nearly killing Sasha). I HATED the Cena/AJ match, and that was one I was looking forward to. Just everything I hate about WWE epic style times 10 in a non title match as the 4th match on the card. Fucking Davey Richards was the agent for this match I'm convinced.

Seth and Balor worked hard, but had no psychology or character  work, and they no sold a bunch down the stretch.

I can sum this show up by saying Sasha/Charlotte is the only match I think was better than Aries/ No Way Jose from Takeover. WWE style needs a major overhaul. Also WTF Brock? I'm curious to know what the planned finish was for that. If it was Brock elbows Orton as hard as he can to make him gush blood then Orton is an idiot for agreeing to it.

2 minutes ago, brandonr4s said:

Agreed.

Love Rock/Austin and Taker/Shawn, but it's just gotten to be too much. I find it boring.

How am I supposed to be excited by AJ doing his "finisher" for a second time if he already did it earlier in the match?

They should have the Styles Clash be a big match only super finisher that no one kicks out of, and he finishes normal matches with the forearm or calf crusher.

I'm a broken record at this point but bring back super finishers already.

• Like 2

I know Dean's sense of music stems from the fact that he found a shoe box full of 45s in the back lot of an old drive in, but that doesn't mean he has to make Renee cosplay as Debbie Harry.

I mean, there are plenty of reasons to ask her to do that.  Well, there's the one reason and it's pretty good on its own merit.

What I'm tryin say is Renee Young DAMNNNNNN.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Reveal hidden contents

the-revival-1.jpg

Fuck yeah. I'd say Dawson is my favorite worker in WWE right now. If Cena/AJ had ended after the first Phenomenal 4 arm it would've been pretty good. Everything after that was bullshit. Can someone tell Cena 2003 called and it wants it's bullshit no selling late match submission reversals back. If that's all "Big Match John" has he needs to piss off.

Do you guys remember the joke about how bad Jillian Hall was at singing?  Carmella is that same joke applied to "not making me want to lay down under an industrial press and use a broomstick to hit the big green button."

However, Alexa Bliss as Envy Adams has my approval.

4 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I know Dean's sense of music stems from the fact that he found a shoe box full of 45s in the back lot of an old drive in, but that doesn't mean he has to make Renee cosplay as Debbie Harry.

I mean, there are plenty of reasons to ask her to do that.  Well, there's the one reason and it's pretty good on its own merit.

What I'm tryin say is Renee Young DAMNNNNNN.

Whatever they did last night must have been awesome because Renee looked like she was exhausted and scattered on the pre show

• Like 3

Just now, hammerva said:

Whatever they did last night must have been awesome because Renee looked like she was exhausted and scattered on the pre show

And during the show.  Calling Booker T "Booker King" and then getting embarrassed when Lawler called her out on it.

Like, seriously, other contenders for top 5 tag team in WWF/E history, based on ring work....

The Rockers (Clear and Far Away No.1)

MNM (They ruled)

Hardy Boys (Been in enough classics to be in the discussion)

London and Kendrick (Only a one year run, but it was great)

Rhodes Brothers (Another short run, but it was great)

Anyone else wanna throw in some names?

So apparently Sasha was working the match against Charlotte injured and is now off shows after Summerslam because of it.  Which of course sparked speculation that she got popped for a wellness violation.   

If she wasn't hurt before the match, landing on her neck on that unbelievably stupid spot in the corner was the final straw

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

So apparently Sasha was working the match against Charlotte injured and is now off shows after Summerslam because of it.  Which of course sparked speculation that she got popped for a wellness violation.   

To be fair, she had been concentrating really hard lately. 

• Like 6

I thought the Styles/Cena match was the best match on the show,even if it was a little finisher heavy.i was legit surprised at the super aa kick out,I dont remember too many ever kicking out of that.i can see AJ taking the title from Ambrose at backlash.

Also enjoyed Rollins breaking out the small package driver.i can see a rematch between the two on a raw or clash of champions.Balor will probably have some defenses against Owens or Jericho on the next few months.

I would love to see Shane bring in someone like Joe to take on Lesnar,but Goldberg is the more likely outcome.

• Like 1

I don't really get all the negativity about Cena/Styles. They emptied the tank for sure but Cena's going away for an extended period of time. The problem with him doing it vs Owens was they had to do follow-up matches right away and were left with nowhere to go. He massively put over the guy who is probably going to have to carry Smackdown on his back now. It worked with the audience in attendance and I'm sure it worked with the vast majority of the fans. AJ took everything Cena could possibly come up with and still beat him clean in the middle of the ring.

In a perfect world, that match goes on last and it's for the WWE Title but WWE tries to be cute with their booking of titles instead of putting them on the most important guys.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Like, seriously, other contenders for top 5 tag team in WWF/E history, based on ring work....

The Rockers (Clear and Far Away No.1)

MNM (They ruled)

Hardy Boys (Been in enough classics to be in the discussion)

London and Kendrick (Only a one year run, but it was great)

Rhodes Brothers (Another short run, but it was great)

Anyone else wanna throw in some names?

Hart Foundation? British Bulldogs? Dream Team? Brainbusters?

• Like 6

Sheamus/Cesaro was damn good. Charlotte/Sasha had one of the dumbest fucking spots I've ever seen, and I hope they never fucking do that shit again because I was scared for Sasha after that shit. Aside form that it was great and possibly MOTN.

No one giving a damn about Miz/Crew took away from a decent enough match.

Cena/AJ was overkill, but built up well before that and served well as an epic defeat for John Cena. AJ winning here felt bigger than him winning the belt probably would have. Placing the match so early was damn stupid though as it seemed to completely kill the crowd until Brock/Orton. Damn near everything after just couldn't bring the crowd to life at all. I think a lot of the matches were actually better than they seemed, but that dead crowd just made it hard to get into anything.

Reigns/Rusev brawl was nice, but again poorly placed considering the planned finish for the main event. That shit should have happened way earlier in the show.

Finn/Rollins was better than expected. Glad Finn won though I was really hoping for the Club to help. It is interesting that the former Bullet Club members won all of their matches.

Lesnar/Orton was what I expected. I enjoyed it well enough. I'm mixed not he finish. Its nice to have something different though I'm not sure it was right for the main event.