DVDVR Message Board

Is It Chilly In Here? I Feel a DRAFT - Smackdown - 7/19/2016

Dolfan in NYC

So based on the videos, the draft was a complete shoot to NXT people?   Either that or someone selling shock and surprise at the performance center deserves a bonus

One thing that worries me about JBL and Mauro together is that the entire show will be them trying to outdo each other on obscure things that have no relevance to the match.   

Catching up on some videos. The best NXT one is the Finn Balor one because you can go back and look at everyone's face and reaction. I like how surprised Nia was because she was texting when her name was called. Good on Alexa for diving right back into character at the end. Scott Dawson just doesn't care. The Cesaro one was best for how uncomfortable JoJo looked when he said Steph and Foley don't matter. 

• Like 1

It goes without saying, but Smackdown is obviously the B show with the NXT guys that need work to get over (Corbin, Crews, Vaudes) along with some older acts that need phasing out, while RAW got all the established/over NXT guys.  As screwed as Smackdown may be, RAW isn't much better off though, because all of the guys that could have used the split to distinguish themselves and get a nice main event push are all stuck in RAW midcard hell (Sami, KO, Rusev, Cesaro, now Finn...)

Man, I'm sure glad Joe and Nakamura weren't called up during this shitshow.

Before yesterday I was hoping I could just stop watching Raw altogether after the draft. Then the draft started and I figured it wouldn't work out that way. Then Zayn and Owens were chokeslammed by Kane and Cesaro lost to Jericho and I realized I probably shouldn't bother with either main roster show. NXT and CWC from now on it is.

• Like 1

I don't think it was mentioned in the thread already but Graves (on the Network broadcast) flat out saying that Steph should push Cass as a singles and get him away from Enzo was amusing and disheartening

Ok, so despite my positivity it's a little hard to put together a SD PPV right now.

Ambrose vs Styles
Cena vs Orton
Miz vs Ziggler 
American Alpha vs Usos
Wyatt vs (here's where the problems start) Kane? Crews? Del Rio?
Nattie vs Becky (fight forever?)
And... then what? Kallisto vs Corbin? 
Hype Bros vs ... Breezango?
It's pretty rough at this point.

• Like 2

That Cesaro interview was amazing. He's clearly about five weeks away from going Full Punk. JoJo giving her scripted robot question about Steph/Foley only to get shut down and her resulting "oh shit..." face was classic. And people are sleeping on his end rant about "See, I can actually speak" as you know that's what he's heard backstage about his (lack of) promo time. 

Kalisto aside, I'm more convinced than ever WWE would be a glorious train wreck if they did away with scripted promos.

• Like 3

I would rather Alpha vs. Breezango - fuck the Usos they can fight the Vaudevillians

EDIT - And assuming Miz keeps the title this weekend, I am figuring Kalisto is his first challenger. It is the only reason I can think of for them to go out of their way to promote the Lucha Dragons splitting up AND keeping Kalisto off the CW show

• Like 1

Just because we have gotten deep in the thread again - a refresher on the rosters

Raw
Seth Rollins
WWE Women's Champion Charlotte
Finn Balor
Roman Reigns
Brock Lesnar
WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston, & Xavier Woods)
Sami Zayn
Sasha Banks
Chris Jericho
US Champion Rusev (w/ Lana)
Kevin Owens
Enzo & Big Cass
Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows
The Big Show
Nia Jax
Neville
Cesaro
Sheamus
The Golden Truth
Titus O'Neil
Paige
Darren Young
Sin Cara
Jack Swagger
The Dudley Boyz
Summer Rae
Mark Henry
Braun Strowman
Bo Dallas
The Shining Stars
Alicia Fox
Dana Brooke
Curtis Axel

SmackDown
WWE World Heavyweight Champion Dean Ambrose
AJ Styles
John Cena
Randy Orton
Bray Wyatt
Becky Lynch
I-C Champion The Miz (w/ Maryse)
Baron Corbin
American Alpha (Chad Gable & Jason Jordan)
Dolph Ziggler
Natalya
Alberto Del Rio
The Usos
Kane
Kalisto
Naomi
The Ascension
Zack Ryder
Apollo Crews
Alexa Bliss
Breezango
Eva Marie
The Vaudevillains
Erick Rowan
Mojo Rawley
Carmella

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Ok, so despite my positivity it's a little hard to put together a SD PPV right now.

Ambrose vs Styles
Cena vs Orton
Miz vs Ziggler 
American Alpha vs Usos
Wyatt vs (here's where the problems start) Kane? Crews? Del Rio?
Nattie vs Becky (fight forever?)
And... then what? Kallisto vs Corbin? 
Hype Bros vs ... Breezango?
It's pretty rough at this point.

Both rosters have to stay injury free.  Keep that in mind.

Per Alvarez - there was an ever changing list of the names that were going to get drafted from NXT that kept getting changed

And at one point - they planned on only calling up Jason Jordan and leaving Gable in NXT

God - I don't know why but there are so many tiny little logic things that are bugging the shit out of me about the draft.

I am gonna to fucking waste time writing a worthless column aren't I?

• Like 7

My favorite thing will be when all the cruiserweights are in the ring for the introduction of the division and Steph enters wearing seven inch heels and dresses them down properly. That'l put asses in seats.

And I can only imagine taking two weeks to carefully craft a proper draft only to have Vince come in Tuesday afternoon and gut the whole thing.

• Like 1