DVDVR Message Board

Is It Chilly In Here? I Feel a DRAFT - Smackdown - 7/19/2016

Dolfan in NYC

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

By the way, the reaction of Reigns to being drafted was intense hate.  Maybe it is canned heat like I have heard they done before but man if he gets that reaction for just announcing his name in a draft, imagine the crowd at the PPV when the chances of winning the title is pretty damn strong.

I did like Renee and Booker asking the Usos point blank what it was like being hated because they started teaming with Reigns

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ace said:

It's a pity they didn't announce the new teams on the Network so we could get a Graves live reaction.

Oh yea - Grave's reaction to Alpha being drafted was probably the best thing about the whole show.  Jason Jordan must be like the best dude ever, because everyone practically cries every time he achieves anything big.

I watched the whole three hour studio show and it was FANTASTIC.  It's amazing how much personality everyone comes off as having when every damn word they're going to say isn't scripted.

• Like 1

I think the main reason to keep Gable with him is that it'll do Gable a lot of good developmentally to have the crutch of Jordan to work with for a while longer. You'll end up with two excellent sure thing wrestlers instead of just one. They don't need Jordan to overachieve on his own tomorrow.

Yea they're going to be huge stars.  That whole division screams teams that Alphia are going to look awesome mowing through until they get drafted up to RAW next year. 

18 minutes ago, hammerva said:

By the way, the reaction of Reigns to being drafted was intense hate.  Maybe it is canned heat like I have heard they done before but man if he gets that reaction for just announcing his name in a draft, imagine the crowd at the PPV when the chances of winning the title is pretty damn strong.

It's not canned.  The reactions to Reigns have been some of the strongest among the roster.  They're just not the reactions they were going for.

I'm curious to see how they're going to handle all this.  They've pushed the polarizing character angle for a while, but now they're flat out saying fans hate his guts.  Booker went into how he was booed at WM and it's only going to get worse at Battleground.  The Usos acknowledged that they get jeered simply for being Roman's cousins.

Between Roman and Stephanie, Raw has enough heat to burn a fire for the next three years.  But will they ever use it?  You'd figure they have to at some point.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Jordan's going to be main eventing a bunch of PPVs as a solo wrestler at some point of his career. He has it in every way possible. I love AA as much as I do a childhood pet but Jordan legitimately has everything you could want in a wrestler in one package. I think he might end up as the biggest thing to come out of NXT when we look back at this 10 years from now.

Jordan was a non factor until they paired him up with Gable who carried the charisma end of the promos, and gets 85% of the ring time in Jordan's matches. I like Jordan, but he's has a long way to go in and out of the ring to be a great singles act.

• Like 4

Smackdown's roster seems really thin to me.  Even at the top.  You run Cena-Styles and Ambrose-Orton, I guess, then trade of opponents.  Then what?  The only other person on the roster who seems ready to elevate back to the top without a lot of buildup is Del Rio and I'm a little skeptical they'll strap a rocket to his back again,

Meanwhile, RAW has a lot of names who seem likely to get lost in the shuffle - Rusev, Cesaro, Zayn, maybe Owens. How they're going to find time for all that plus women and cruisers, I dunno.

Anyone have a link to Kallisto's promo?  I caught most of the network stuff but missed his promo.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JCM said:

Becky has the toughest job in the company trying to make something of that women's division on SD. I think Alexa and Carmella will be ok, but damn do they need Bayley on that show.

Naomi's the sleeper over there. Before her injury, she was developing quite nicely. And Nattie is fine. Eva Marie is still not there yet and would have benefited from being on Raw and continuing the pairing with Nia Jax. I'm actually most concerned for Carmella and Alexa. Their NXT work has been pretty uneven although I think the last match they had against one another was pretty decent. But I have a feeling they will be exposed sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Smackdown's roster seems really thin to me.  Even at the top.  You run Cena-Styles and Ambrose-Orton, I guess, then trade of opponents.  Then what?  The only other person on the roster who seems ready to elevate back to the top without a lot of buildup is Del Rio and I'm a little skeptical they'll strap a rocket to his back again,

Meanwhile, RAW has a lot of names who seem likely to get lost in the shuffle - Rusev, Cesaro, Zayn, maybe Owens. How they're going to find time for all that plus women and cruisers, I dunno.

Anyone have a link to Kallisto's promo?  I caught most of the network stuff but missed his promo.

It looks that way to us but it exposes what people in charge think of those guys and where they're slotted on the pecking order. They see guys like Rusev, Cesaro, and Zayn on the same level as Miz, Del Rio, and Ziggler. There's no difference.

It looks like we'll get a big heel push for Baron Corbin on Smackdown. Bray will also be up there. One of Joe and Nakamura will probably come up after SummerSlam.

I'm not too worried about Smackdown as far as being a watchable show goes but I agree that there really aren't many money matches there that are going to hook viewers in.

I'm sure they had their reasons, but the whole women's division seems too thin to be spread out across two brands. One holla holla tag match, and boom, that's the roster facing each other. I figured it'd be smart to have the cruisers on Raw and the women on Smackdown, but what do I know?

Bayley will probably be Banks' mystery partner on Sunday, leading to the first of a billion "WHO WILL THIS HOT FREE AGENT SIGN WITH?" angles.

Has there ever been a piece of WWE programming where so many people watched thinking "hey, this could actually be the start of something cool" and got the rug swept out from under them SO violently?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well even then you could find kayfabe reasons for all the NXT slights (Regal presenting a can't draft list or guys working the Takeover show not eligible) but when they spend the whole night babbling about Shane leaning on Bryan's familiarity with wrestlers for their picks and then they didn't take Cesaro

46cbcaa5e638e2e83cad2314de0a7950_zpsb8ao

14 minutes ago, jstout said:

Has there ever been a piece of WWE programming where so many people watched thinking "hey, this could actually be the start of something cool" and got the rug swept out from under them SO violently?

ITSAME.png

hqdefault.jpg

Pretty sure I could go on for awhile but these image results already are probably getting my computer flagged at work.

• Like 4

There was a neat little thing on the Network where they had Golden Truth on and they were talking about how happy they were to still be together and how they were old guys just trying to extend their careers and fight off the young guys.

I really wish I had just watched nothing but the Network show

More announcing updates

Superstars: Tom Phillips & Corey Graves

Main Event: Tom Phillips & David Otunga

Booker T and Jerry Lawler will torment us on the pre-shows and kickoff shows