DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Kurt Vile friggin' rules. So do War On Drugs. They've all been in each others bands 100,000,000 times. The Philly and Philly-type area has so many awesome bands these days, with those two and The Menzingers and Pissed Jeans.

Do you guys know about Kurt Vile's brother, Paul? He goes by the name JelloMan and goes around to concert tours in this ramshackle van selling Jello shots. He's one of the best oddballs out there. My friend described him as a "real life Hold Steady song."

Speaking of that, the reason why I came here, THE NEW HOLD STEADY ALBUM IS SOOOOOOO GREAT AND YOU PROBABLY KNEW THAT ALREADY!

I forgot that I had pre-ordered the new Shakira record on amazon mp3.

Listened one time through today, and nothing really grabbed me. She's definitely still in her Tori Amos sounding phase when the song isn't more dance-pop, where she's been for a decade.

STREAMSDAY.

NPR- I think this record is total bullshit, but a lot of people are super excited about it so if you're one of those people, have a good time.

cloud-nothings-here-and-nowhere.jpgw800-

"Here And Nowhere Else" by Cloud Nothings

1. Now Hear In

2. Quieter Today

3. Psychic Trauma

4. Just See Fear

5. Giving Into Seeing

6. No Thoughts

7. Pattern Walks

8. I'm Not Part Of Me

P4K- Insane noisy metal band + Insane noisy electronic producer = Your main event for this week.

f16fb7f4.jpg

"I Shall Die Here" by The Body (with The Haxan Cloak)

1. To Carry the Seeds of Death Within Me
2. Alone All the Way
3. The Night Knows No Dawn
4. Hail To Thee, Everlasting Pain
5. Our Souls Were Clean
6. Darkness Surrounds Us

NPR- I think this record is total bullshit, but a lot of people are super excited about it so if you're one of those people, have a good time.

As someone who is enjoying the record, I'm interested in hearing about why you feel this way.

As someone who is enjoying the record, I'm interested in hearing about why you feel this way.

They went from a four piece to a three piece and they had JUST gotten into a good groove of writing for two guitars. So the songs on this one (excepting Psychic Trauma) feel a lot shallower compared to their last record. When the band changed, they changed nothing at all about how they wrote or recorded. Kind of a bummer.

EDIT: This is significant because the transition from Cloud Nothings as solo bedroom rock project (Turning On) to band that had to exist physically (self-titled) to actual cohesive band (Attack On Memory) was such an incredible progression that seeing them stagnate at all is disappointing. But I guess it happens.

Just bought a ticket to see Christina Perri next Friday night. Looking forward to that - didn't realize until just now that she was coming to town so soon.

Frustrated that I missed Samantha Fish earlier this month for lack of awareness, so going to try and pay better attention to upcoming shows.

My all-time favorite (now ex-) Austin local band, synthpop duo Iris, are playing here June 7.  I'm pretty happy, since the last time they did a show they both said they never expected to perform together again after one of them moved out of town for his day job.

Now that I've actually HEARD Big Black Delta, I'm super disappointed that I skipped the Gary Numan/BBD/Feathers show during South By.

STREAMSDAY COMES LATE

NPR- I don't get caught up on record labels that much, but I only say "that much" because Brainfeeder exists and has like ten people I'd listen to anything they put out. Like. For example!

estaracover.jpg

"E S T A R A " by Teebs

1. The Endless
2. View Point
3. Holiday (featuring Jonti)
4. Shoouss Lullaby
5. SOTM
6. Hi Hat (Featuring Populous)
7. NY pt. 1
8. Piano Days
9. Piano Months
10. NY pt. 2 (Featuring Prefuse 73)
11. Mondaze
12. Wavxxes (featuring Lars Horntveth)

YOUTUBE- Who likes Animal Collective? "Not really?" Why? "They're too far up their own ass?" Well check this out: it's one of the AnCo dudes in a different band that keeps him from making horrible nightmare horseshit like that last Animal Collective record!

140210-avey-tare-slasher-flicks-enter-sl

"Enter The Slasher House" by Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks

1. A Sender
2. Duplex Trip
3. Blind Babe
4. Little Fang
5. Catchy (Was Contagious)
6. That It Won't Grow
7. The Outlaw
8. Roses on the Window
9. Modern Days E
10. Strange Colores
11. Your Card

• 2 weeks later...

I think only BL88 will like this, but the new album by Bernays Propaganda is really great. They are a punk band from Macedonia with female vocals that's loud but very dancy. They are on your with Ghost Mice right now, and I think will end up working back across the country with High Dive. All three of those bands are fun live shows and worth your time if they pop up in your town.

I think only BL88 will like this, but the new album by Bernays Propaganda is really great. They are a punk band from Macedonia with female vocals that's loud but very dancy. They are on your with Ghost Mice right now, and I think will end up working back across the country with High Dive. All three of those bands are fun live shows and worth your time if they pop up in your town.

Gang of Four as fuck in here. I am basically always down for that.

New Fennesz leaked this week and it's awesome.  Also been playing the Inventions self-titled album a bit.  It's the guy from Eluvium and guy from Explosions in the Sky and sounds exactly what that sounds like it would.

This will be too late by the time anyone sees it, but I'd just like to say that Outkast's set at Coachella has been the most surreal meltdown I've seen in years. I think the reason it's been so long since a new Outkast album might actually be that Andre hates all of us.

The first part of the set was fine, but once the crowd didn't react to Roses; Andre really packed it in. Him performing "Hey Ya" with his back to the audience was spectacular. 

Although the concert cutting them of before performing The Whole World was pretty ridiculous.

I didn't think Andre's behavior was as bad as advertised, but it was a really rough set and you could tell Andre was really out of his comfort zone, having been out of the game for so long. Big Boi has been a fixture of the hipster festival circuit for some years now, and you could see his willingness to roll with whatever was happening, but Andre was completely flummoxed.

Whoever came up with the idea for them to spend the first 20 minutes in that cube should be fired. I think that really contributed to killing the vibe right off the bat. It made them seem small and low-energy. It picked up for a bit, but then Andre's solo mini-set sucked the life out of it again. Then there was the weird Future feature spot. And finally the Ms. Jackson fuck-up killed it dead and Andre went into I'M NOT HERE THIS ISN'T HAPPENING mode.

I'll be interested to see if this tour completes all of it's dates, at this point.