DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

Anyone else read the JYD/New Orleans book? I checked it out from the library(If I had paid for it, I'd be PISSED). Basically a recount of angles, with no research of note, written in a style perhaps one half step ahead of Scott Keith. . . .UGH

JJ made the jump after all of those guys except Schiavone.  Tully made the connection that got him into the WWF.

I haven't read his book either.  Don't know if he had anything to do with getting Schiavone in.

OK thanks. I started watching the WWE in late 1990/early 1991 so I can't really remember the timeframe when Arn & Tully et al debuted. Did they all debut at the same time, or shortly after each other?. Also were all the contracts up at the same time and Crockett decide not to renew them as there was quite a few JCP guys jump ship to the WWE?. From what I remember, Tony Schiavone wasn't in the WWE for that long and I wasn't really a fan (at the time) of him announcing alongside Jesse, because IMO their styles and voices didn't really gel together. I preferred Jesse & Gorilla as the announce team for the PPV's. 

I noticed out of print books being mentioned, here's a few I assume could be: Sting's, DDP's autobiography, Goldberg's, Pure Dynamite & Chyna's. I think Crowbar Press have re-issued some books which would be out of print otherwise.   

I noticed out of print books being mentioned, here's a few I assume could be: Sting's, DDP's autobiography, Goldberg's, Pure Dynamite & Chyna's. I think Crowbar Press have re-issued some books which would be out of print otherwise.   

Amazon lists all of them as having copies for sale.  Goldberg and Chyna's books are going for $0.01.  

Amazon lists all of them as having copies for sale.  Goldberg and Chyna's books are going for $0.01.  

That's still overpriced. . . 

• Like 1

Is there anything else other than Gary Hart's book that's actually worth reading but hard to find?

Fall Guys is available on Kindle.

Even Thesz' Hooker's out there (or THOT as the kids call it) on both Kindle and print.  I remember looking for that years ago and the only version I could find was a wire-bound version being sold by the Waterloo HOF.  I want to say they were charging like $75 too.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, what was the reason all you supplicants did not pay cash for the physical copy of GHart's book when it came out?

- RAF

I was never big into World Class, so I really didn't know him too well. It wasn't until basically this thread that I'd ever heard anything about the book.

Is there anything else other than Gary Hart's book that's actually worth reading but hard to find?

Hmm...

Crowbar Press did a reissue of Drawing Heat that's on Kindle, so that's taken care of.

Whatever Happened to Gorgeous George isn't super rare, but it's not super common and goes for a little bit more than most people are probably willing to pay and it's not available digitally.

I finally found a copy of Paul Boesch's book (as in literally the first one I've seen for sale since its original release; I got a really good price, thankfully) that's coming tomorrow/today. It's supposed to be good and thorough (370 pages), albeit in a "kayfabed but you can read between the lines" kind of way. He wrote it not long before his death in 1989, and it didn't come out until 2002, when his wife did a small run with a local Minuteman Press. Teen Me wasn't sure about spending $30 on a kayfabed book and regretted it afterwards. According to Dave Meltzer, one of a handful of people to have gotten the original manuscript, the published book has a lot of Boesch's negativity towards Vince McMahon & Jim Crockett out of the book. Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading it.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious...oh! Paul Vachon's "When Wrestling Was Real" books. Really regret not getting those.

Whatever Happened to Gorgeous George isn't super rare, but it's not super common and goes for a little bit more than most people are probably willing to pay and it's not available digitally.

WOW, that takes me back.  That was literally the very first wrestling book I ever read.  Finding that as a kid was like finding a copy of the Bible signed by Jesus.

• Like 1