DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm really hoping it's just a name change and it's much ado about nothing.  But if they need all hands on deck for the split the top NXT folks are right there for the taking.  If they all go up en masse then sure, take a break from Takeovers and build up stars/feuds for a special in Brooklyn.  But either way, this is spelling the end of NXT as we know it and I'm going to be pretty sad.  I still liken it to the cool college kids who are part of territory-style booking that's wonderful.  If the can keep that after all this I'll be amazed, but it won't be easy.

14 minutes ago, turk128 said:

So... many of the official songs for the Takeovers are suggested by the wrestlers themselves: I really want to know which wrestler suggested BabyMetal.

I would have loved to be in the room whenever Vince was told about Babymetal.

As an non-believer in any deity, prayer is not available to me.

With that said...

PLEASEDON'TTAKEAWAYMYNXT

PLEASEDON'TTAKEAWAYMYNXT

PLEASEDON'TTAKEAWAYMYNXT

PLEASEDON'TTAKEAWAYMYNXT

PLEASEDON'TTAKEAWAYMYNXT

PLEASEDON'TTAKEAWAYMYNXT

• Like 4

Hey, if we're going to go that route, how about this?

I want my...

I want my...

I want my NXT...

Of course, it's done in the style of Sting's cameo in Dire Straight's "Money for Nothin'"

• Like 2

Hopefully it is just the end of "Takeover" as a name for the specials since NXT has essentially taken over the WWE by this point.  The first was Arrival, then they were Takeovers, now maybe they'll be something different... like Clash of the Champions?

• Like 1

That's my hope as well. I have so little faith in anything WWE right now other than NXT that the paranoid fan boy in me has Vince rubbing his hands and saying "they like THIS? I'LL KILL IT BEFORE THEY LOVE ANYTHING MORE THAN RAW!." Yeah, it's sad that I feel this way. It's also sad that it's not beyond the man.

• Like 2

Yeah, I just assumed that it was an end to that naming device. I wouldn't be surprised if NXT was spotlighted to some degree on Smackdown! as well, but I don't think it means the end of NXT or of NXT specials. 

I wonder if this will necessitate another signing spree on the part of WWE, though. Maybe they'll try to ransack New Japan. Maybe they'll steal Dalton Castle and Cheeseburger from ROH, AKA "the only two reasons that I keep up with ROH in any capacity."

Well, okay, there's also Moose, so two of the three reasons. 

He seems like the prototypical type of guy they'd love at the top in the Corporate Era - good looking, engaging, has the build they like, former football player, probably a dude that can make the rounds on other TV shows. I expect it to happen soon enough. 

Just now, Smelly McUgly said:

He seems like the prototypical type of guy they'd love at the top in the Corporate Era - good looking, engaging, has the build they like, former football player, probably a dude that can make the rounds on other TV shows. I expect it to happen soon enough. 

Plus - they have already tried to sign him...

I could see a Moose/Titus O'Neal tag team. 

With the change in philosophy of what they look for, I could also see Roderick Strong getting a shot if the rumors are true that he's unhappy with ROH right now. 

6 hours ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

I'm oddly okay with that scenario if it's true. 

Bring everyone up and rebuild NXT around La Sombra and the newer signees. I love NXT, and I loved it pre-Network.

The pre-Network stuff was pretty great.

6 hours ago, Cristobal said:

I'm not a fan, but I really don't get the hatred for Babymetal. Like, you were fine with replacing the shouty dudes with Scandinavian opera singers but some J-Pop girls are a bridge too far?

Yeah I never got the hate for them either.  Their type of music has been around forever, but because they happened to make some headway in the states, the "metal heads" threw a fit about it.

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Yeah I never got the hate for them either.  Their type of music has been around forever, but because they happened to make some headway in the states, the "metal heads" threw a fit about it.

From what I've read, the veterans of metal have given them the thumbs-up. If anything, they respect the fact that these gals can handle touring at such a young age.