DVDVR Message Board

MARCH MADNESS 2016

Dolfan in NYC

The way UNC wears down a team is stupid good. ND hung in there, but that's an incredible pace you have to keep up to even be competitive with UNC. The last 10 minutes showed ND with nothing left in the tank.

Hell of a season, again, and they made it to the Elite 8, again. Can't be mad about that.

8 minutes ago, brandonr4s said:

Syracuse vs. North Carolina: The Battle of Academic Fraud.

Hate to break it to you but virtually the entire tournament outside of possibly Yale is a battle of academic fraud.

• Like 1

I don't know, Wisconsin is basically half freshman dorks who didn't see the floor, so I'm sure they were able to sleep through most of their classes and pass. We had one senior, he never played, they gave him a scholarship out of good-will for his final year.

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

Hate to break it to you but virtually the entire tournament outside of possibly Yale is a battle of academic fraud.

And Yale won with a rapist!  

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

I am not sure about that. My alma is in the A-10 and made the Sweet 16 a few years ago. I am friends with some professors at the school who taught the kids on the team and loved them. They all worked hard -- some were better students than others, but they didn't miss class or skip papers.

Some might take easier classes than others, but the whole school knows the easy A's. But a few of the kids -- players, not walk-ones -- had some of the harder majors. 

They have tutors to help out (especially when on the road) but any student can get a tutor.

St. Joe's is essentially the same school as where I went (La Salle). The kids go to class. 

Nova has the same reputation of kids who actually go to class and study. 

It's generally like that with the smaller programs. 

UNC essentially created an academic department just to cater to students. Buddy Hield said in an interview he only has online classes. Syracuse essentially did all of Fab Melo's work for him. So did Larry Brown's secretary at SMU for one of his players.

• Like 1

I tend to think everyone is somewhere on the shades of gray dirty scale, even if its just steering players to athlete-friendly classes.

as big a jerk as bob knight was when i was at indiana, players had to go to class and do their work and had asst coaches checking with profs and showing up at classes unannounced to make sure players were there. But you still had boneheads like jay edwards getting busted for weed and having a glovebox full of unpaid parking tickets. 

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I tend to think everyone is somewhere on the shades of gray dirty scale, even if its just steering players to athlete-friendly classes.

as big a jerk as bob knight was when i was at indiana, players had to go to class and do their work and had asst coaches checking with profs and showing up at classes unannounced to make sure players were there. But you still had boneheads like jay edwards getting busted for weed and having a glovebox full of unpaid parking tickets. 

20-year-old kids make dumb mistakes all the time. There is no way I would have been able to play college basketball. I did so much dumb stuff. There are some kids who obviously shouldn't have an athletic scholarship -- Marshall Henderson counterfeited money -- but 99% of NCAA players handle themselves with more maturity and poise than probably your average college kid.

If that 99% means all athletes, possibly. If you mean the revenue generating sports, i would put it much lower.

i dont doubt the lacrosse player at Hopkins or volleyball player at Pepperdine etc has their head on straight, since they are using their scholarship to get a degree. But i dont that's necessarily true for the football or basketball player in a D1 power conference schoool. 

As I've said previously, I was a student manager at Bradley when Jim Molinari came in... and he did not fuck around with academics. His assistants were regularly checking in on classes - including mine! - and the obvious screw-ups transferred out at the end of the year before he could kick them off the team (which he did with at least one player). The year I graduated we had at least one player (James Baptist) with a double major in ENGINEERING of all things. Dude was 7'2, sang the anthem at some games and was the smartest kid I knew in college by a country mile.

So suspend him like they did Bruce Pearl or whatever. Fine the school for their tournament earnings the years they cheated. Don't take it out on the players who had zero to do with it.

On 3/25/2016 at 0:39 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Last Ivy Standing -- COLUMBIA!

Onto the Semis of the CIT!   Fuck NJIT!

My alma mater is in the position to win its first postseason tournament in school history.  Finals of the CIT tomorrow vs UC Irvine. 

Sure, it's technically for 101st place in the basketball rankings, but hell, it's awesome they may be able to finally call themselves champions for the first time since 1910.