DVDVR Message Board

WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CLASSIC (NO SPOILERS)

ChesterCopperpot

It could be there just to be used in a "it's so close" kind of way, like let's say a match has gone 19 minutes and that's announced so someone tries something crazy because he's running out of time but it backfires.

Maybe a bit unlikely, but the only time you'd ever use the stip was if you had two guys you really wanted to protect but didn't want either to win, and I'm not sure there's anyone they've got that much invested in that they wouldn't just put over in the tournament. I originally thought they might for Gargano/Ciampa, but obviously that didn't happen.

Spoiler

Ibushi/Kendrick, maybe? They were also who I was thinking of in my 19 minute example.

Well they could go broadway for the finals and then have a rematch on Raw/PPV

But that would then sports entertain the tournament and I don't know if they want to do that

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

It could be there just to be used in a "it's so close" kind of way, like let's say a match has gone 19 minutes and that's announced so someone tries something crazy because he's running out of time but it backfires.

There's more options in a double-elimination tournament, because then you can get a draw that eliminates one guy (who already had a loss on him) but not the other. Normally in a double-elim you redo the brackets every round so that people with a loss fight each other, but if there's an odd number, you could get this.

Now that I've typed it out it feels about as obscure as the fair catch free kick rule.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think the only double elimination tournament I know of is the College World Series

CMLL's Copa Victoria way back in the day was double elimination. Came down to the finals where Atlantis (who had one loss) needed to beat (I think) an undefeated Blue Panther in two straight falls to win the title.

Is anyone else hoping for them to hand out awards for fighting spirit and the like after the final? Or at least have everyone work ringside as seconds?

• Like 1

So, based on the advert on Raw/the WWE YouTube, the cruiserweight division will definitely include Noam, Swann, Kendrick and Perkins. I think I read that Metallik and Tajiri were signed, and I assume Alexander and Ibushi will also be on board. Pretty good start to a division so far.

Didn't Ibushi recently say he did not sign with WWE? Pretty sure Gallagher will be involved. And I wonder if any current guys on the RAW roster will join in the Crusierweight Division, like Neville or Sin Cara, or if the division will be all new guys from the CWC

Swann was already signed (it was noted he was the only guy advertised as such)

Dar was signed already - he was in the batch with Big Damo and Tommy End (Damo is finishing up his UK commitments now)

Ibushi is a sticky wicket. He wants the freedom to work wherever he wants and HHH said during the NXT conference call that the guys who appear on TV as part of cruiserweight division need to be signed (Zack Sabre Jr is in a similar boat)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Swann was already signed (it was noted he was the only guy advertised as such)

Dar was signed already - he was in the batch with Big Damo and Tommy End (Damo is finishing up his UK commitments now)

Ibushi is a sticky wicket. He wants the freedom to work wherever he wants and HHH said during the NXT conference call that the guys who appear on TV as part of cruiserweight division need to be signed (Zack Sabre Jr is in a similar boat)

Ibushi and Trips could also be working folks when they say he hasn't signed anything yet. Another way to keep the CWC direction in doubt.

This was the most recent WON

Ibushi did an interview saying that he turned down the offer of a full-time deal here, which, if he’s not just saying that because he’s supposed to, means both of the two biggest stars that were to head the division, he and Zack Sabre Jr., may have both decided not to come in at least full-time. To me, Ibushi is the cornerstone of the division if you can pick. But he said that his dream is to become the most famous wrestler in the world, and you can’t be that unless you have a run in WWE. He said he thinks he may continue to wrestle some shows here and there for WWE, but when asked if he would be wrestling in Japan going forward, he said, “Yes. I can’t say the details but I am already booked in some matches.”

Now Pete brought up Ibushi and HHH "working" folks

All I know is that the HHH tend to be legit as they do them for reporters as that is one of those things were they want it to be treated as real. Not saying it didn't happen - but it would be the first time since they started doing this that they were straight up lying in them.

This was the WON at the start of August regarding ZSJ

Almost all indications are Zack Sabre Jr. isn't signing with WWE, at least right now. It was said he has some goals he still wants to achieve outside. At least those he works with have been told he's made that decision and he's told people the same thing. Kota Ibushi is claiming in Japan that he hasn't signed. He didn't claim he won't sign, which is very different, and you're supposed to not say anything about signing. One would think the Cruiserweight Classic winner is going to be someone under contract, or who has at least agreed to terms. He was described as similar in that way to Timothy Thatcher, who has had an open offer to go to WWE but doesn't seem interested. With Thatcher, he has a regular job and does well with it and wrestling is something he does for fun while for Sabre, it's his livelihood, so it could be one of those things where he's waiting for the right offer. As noted many times, while the idea people seem to have is that WWE is the place to be, and financially, if you are a star there, it absolutely is, but a lot of indie stars make more money with less dates and less expenses away from WWE and also have more freedom in doing what they want. One thing that's really weird, not that I can't see where he's coming from, but that he said it publicly, was Fit Finlay recently on Twitter outright saying "I'm not a fan of Sabre" after Sabre's first match in the Cruiserweight Classic aired. There was definitely talk among some in WWE that they didn't like how Sabre's style made things look "easy" and not combative. It's weird because back in the 70s, Johnny Eagles, who was known as the Houdini of Wrestling at the time, did the same type of moves and reversals, and while he wasn't any kind of a major star, he got regular work and he was just seen as something different on the show and the crowds got into him, although to that era fans it was not a style they would have accepted in the main events. We were told that even though he is not signing, that doesn't mean they won't use him at times, but he won't be in the system or full-time unless something changes.

Speaking of people who have advanced via TV

Kendrick (at least all signs point to it)

Metalik (everyone believes he has signed but his is doing what WWE told him and not saying a word)

Dar

From the remaining matches

Swann

Gargagno

TJ Perkins (again believed he is signed)

I think Drew Gulak has one of those standing offers - just don't know if he took it or not

And then Ibushi is in his own special category

Gallagher and Alexander should be two of the main guys they build the division around. I've loved the CWC quite a bit, but I really don't have high hopes for a cruiser division on Raw. I think they should put the SDL women on Raw and put the cruisers on SDL.

• Like 1