DVDVR Message Board

WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CLASSIC (NO SPOILERS)

ChesterCopperpot

Damn, man.  It's amazing to think of all the incredible talent in this that makes the whole thing surreal.  But of all the takeaways from this, I feel one of the things I'll remember most is Kenneth's story.  Wrestling skills be damned, he got to wrestle in a WWE ring after constant struggles to get there.  To say the least I'm a big fan of the guy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peck said:

Regal:

" I would like to let people know about #WWECWC competitor Kenneth Johnson.I met Kenneth for the first time when he was an extra talent for WWE.I spoke to Kenneth and apart from finding out that he was a polite,hard working man,he had a serious speech impediment.We talked about promos and he told me it was a thing that was obviously very difficult for him.I met Kenneth after several months when he was at a WWE show again.He asked me if he could show me a promo and could I help him with some advice.Kenneth proceeded to cut a three minute promo without any problems.My friend Daniel Bryan said on this weeks CWC that Kenneth was told to fix his problem.That wasn't correct information as I obviously hasn't explained the story properly to DB.Kenneth practiced in his own time for no other reason than he wanted to better himself.Kenneth now barely has any of his former problems.He achieved greatness and know one can ever take that away from him and he has become a hero of mine.Now,if Kenneth can work so hard to be able to be a decent promo person,what's anyone else's excuse?"

Regal honestly needs a promotion. Because no one connects with wrestlers in the WWE like him. You never hear anybody say they had a problem with Regal.

5 minutes ago, The Z said:

Also Hoho Lun worked a NXT house show today. Not sure what to make of that.

I don't think he should be on TV for a while, but I'd love for him to stick around the performance center for a while.  He created wrestling in Hong Kong, and if nothing else he'll be able to learn and pass on his knowledge when he gets back home.  I don't know if he'll ever be a great worker, but I can't see anything negative coming from him being around the performance center/NXT for a while.

• Like 1

I was going to say team him up with their new signee, Bin Wang to make an oriental version of Enzo and Cass but it comes off way too racist.

But, yeah, giving him exposure to the professional system they have will only help. If he's motivated enough, he could build up his cred in China and they could have a PR/middleman whenever they tour through China.

On 7/23/2016 at 11:13 AM, Vader does my taxes! said:

I'm almost certain the next time the WWE signs/creates an Asian tag team, the name of the team will be "Wang Chung".

They might be on to something if they license the song.

Is Vince even up to "Wang Chung" in his pop culture references? Perhaps someday, we'll get variations of the Frankie says Relax shirt.

WWE has had multiple opportunities to give somebody a "Turning Japanese" character after someone leaves and spends a number of years in Japan. Albert's Lord Tensai character was awful anyway, so they might as well have attached "Turning Japanese" to it. 

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

WWE has had multiple opportunities to give somebody a "Turning Japanese" character after someone leaves and spends a number of years in Japan. Albert's Lord Tensai character was awful anyway, so they might as well attached "Turning Japanese" to it. 

Keep on forgetting that Albert's career was as deep in the shitter as you can get. What a freakin' turnaround.

You're not wrong.

On the "promoting Regal", front, this is purely me speculating, but while he'll probably do whatever he's asked, his current hybrid role of scouting + training + the occasional on-air work as NXT commissioner strikes me as something that scratches all his particular itches whereas an agent or booking role or anything more corporate might not.

9 hours ago, turk128 said:

It also helps that Regals' got just the right skillset, in ring experience, and life lessons for his hybrid role.

So what you're saying is that William Regal has a very particular set of skills, skills that he acquired over a very long career and if you're a talented wrestler anywhere in the world he will look for you and he will find you?

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

In hindsight, what the fuck was Chris Hero's deal? Cedric Alexander cut 25 pounds to get in this and he definitely was not a fat guy before. Another dude cut like 40. The WWE does not seem to care about "big" guys in so much that they care about you looking athletic and toned. Which is easier and less painful than lifting heavy weights or just doing body weight exercises. CM Punk, I sort of understand, but Hero? Come on, man. Even then, I know for a fact that they have athletic trainers outside of wrestling that will help you cut weight and your diet. The food is good. The exercises are manageable. You are getting paid in developmental to look athletic. Yeah, some people do not have the body type(Baron Corbin), but all they want you to do is to lose the dad bod.