DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 1-18-16

MGFanJay

The problem is it becomes the self licking ice cream cone. The authority is pushed to where its the one of few things that's over, so they have to be central to the story, they are one of the few things that are over.

Nothing about the edict from USA is saying they have to use The Authority to cut everyone off at the knees. They can have The Authority be present and still work hard to get everyone over. They just aren't doing it.

• Like 1

Case in point, they COULD have had the Authority force Roman into the #1 spot after he got one over on them, and then have him no-sell it like "I was wondering when you were gonna do that. Did y'all really just think of it now? I thought you McMahons were supposed to be creative geniuses?" Something something one versus all.

What they DID do was that interminable shit with the hamster wheel.

• Like 1

Case in point, they COULD have had the Authority force Roman into the #1 spot after he got one over on them, and then have him no-sell it like "I was wondering when you were gonna do that. Did y'all really just think of it now? I thought you McMahons were supposed to be creative geniuses?" Something something one versus all.

This is basically what I want. In fact, I would say making Roman teflon coated like that would be a gigantic boom for business. All this time, creative has never had a face be a step a head, no-sell the heel group's attempts to undermine the top babyface, etc.

Instead, yeah, hamster wheel.

The problem with a "Roman vanquishing the Authority" angle is that no one will believe it til it happens. Fucking Sting showed up in the surprise moment of the decade and had the blessing of Vince McMahon himself to ostensibly get rid of the Authority forever and they were back in power a month later. That ship has sailed.

If "they" want HHH (and I assume it's him, not Steph or Kane that they care about) on tv every week, they should've just eased him back in as a true neutral authority figure after the Sting feud. He could come out and do promos and announce matches and shit, but still emphasize that it's the *superstars* who are settling things for themselves.

This is basically what I want. In fact, I would say making Roman teflon coated like that would be a gigantic boom for business. All this time, creative has never had a face be a step a head, no-sell the heel group's attempts to undermine the top babyface, etc.

Instead, yeah, hamster wheel.

"Well, it worked with Austin."

Vince was very effective the first couple of weeks but it's been diminishing returns ever since. He should have been gone after Roman superman punched him the first time. Now he's taken two and he's still around.

Stephanie said post-TLC that her inclination was to fire Roman, but HHH asked her not to.  Presumably because he plans on caving in Roman's skull with his sledgehammer.  It wouldn't be a complete stretch to think Steph has told Vince of HHH's plans and they're biding time.

Jericho's theatrics sending League of Nations to the back was fucking funny, I don't care what anyone says.

Funny to little babies. And perhaps, funny if he was still 27. Not as a 45 year old dude in his mid life crisis phase. Jericho is officially the creepy uncle who still goes to high school football games and buys booze for 13 year olds.

It's possible that I'm just an out of touch old man, but it made me laugh way harder than any "comedy" WWE creative has written in years.

I want to choke the maker of that video to death.

Promise me you'll do it while talking really fast, explaining basic concepts to him in a sing-song tone and holding up funny graphs and ironically timed images.

And quote Bananarama!

Yeah I've heard the "USA wants the Authority" thing multiple times before. Always seemed fishy to me. Like, who reported it? On who's word do we have it? The network itself stepped into the creative process after a few weeks to give a specific directive? Why have I never heard of any other ratings dip resulting in USA telling WWE creative to reset things? It's always seemed like a planted story to absolve WWE from bringing the Authority back to me...

I remember reading something (NXT Takeover conference call?) where HHH talks about what USA wants and that what you see on Raw isn't 100% WWE's doing. He specifically mentions the 3 hour thing, but doesn't mention anything else specifically. I believe the initial question related to the 20 minute opening promos and HHH's response was then translated (by some) as meaning that USA wants the 20 minute promos, The Authority, AND 3 hour Raws when in reality I believe HHH only mentioned the 3 hours Raws.

I imagine USA Network looks at things in a very simple way. This got ratings once so we want more of it.

Except of course when the format of a show becomes as stale as 3-day-old shit. Then even the shows that used to get the best ratings get cancelled. So maybe there's that to look forward to?