DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

Thinking still about great mid-carders and then seeing that picture of Owen -- does he qualify? Never quite made it over the top, always got a good (heel) reaction, made other guys look like a million bucks, seemed happy to put them over all the time but also had a way of legitimizing people and eventually made good with a dumb gimmick. If we're looking from his first I kicked your leg out from your leg heel turn until his death, that's only about six years, so maybe there's not enough there to work with. Or maybe he goes beyond that category, just generally? I don't know what the general consensus on him is these days -- I wouldn't lump him in with Disco or Tito (both of whom I think there's a lot to say for) -- but wasn't he essentially a mid-carder? Or is he more in the Mr. Perfect mold of good to great worker, Solid IC Champ, heel gatekeeper to the uppercard, and loses to the Top Face every now and then?

Disregarding stro, Re: facing Shibata and Ishii the rest of the year -- have you seen the last match those two had together? Would YOU want to do THAT for a year?! Be lucky not to stay out of the goddamn hospital. Of course it wouldn't happen, but damn. That'd be like Reigns against two Junior Lesnars. 

Thinking still about great mid-carders and then seeing that picture of Owen -- does he qualify? Never quite made it over the top, always got a good (heel) reaction, made other guys look like a million bucks, seemed happy to put them over all the time but also had a way of legitimizing people and eventually made good with a dumb gimmick. If we're looking from his first I kicked your leg out from your leg heel turn until his death, that's only about six years, so maybe there's not enough there to work with. Or maybe he goes beyond that category, just generally? I don't know what the general consensus on him is these days -- I wouldn't lump him in with Disco or Tito (both of whom I think there's a lot to say for) -- but wasn't he essentially a mid-carder? Or is he more in the Mr. Perfect mold of good to great worker, Solid IC Champ, heel gatekeeper to the uppercard, and loses to the Top Face every now and then?

Owen was another guy, like Tito and like Valentine, that you could plug in anywhere and he would make it work. So it's completely valid to put him there. I think he gets this weird elevation over what he actually was for obvious reasons. That said, his run with Bret was fantastic and there's no taking that away.

If you'll notice, it's fair to say my definition of midcarder is like a utility player in baseball. Just credible enough to put them anywhere.