DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I have such high expectations for this card, like "might be the best WWE-produced card ever" level expectations. 

Crazy thing is that it might actually achieve those expectations. NXT being so hot at the same time that the main shows are so cold is a paradox within this company that we'll likely never see again. What a time to be alive (and a wrestling fan). 

Just for the record - like Aries signing, discussing Nakamura being in NXT is fair game since they are blasting away at it on their website and Twitter.

Oh and La Sombra ... err... Manny Andrade already called out Nak

Watching two of the best international stars wrestle WWE style would be fascinating.

Just going through a bit of their 2013 match that's on youtube and Nakamura almost killed him on that first fall. Jesus tap dancing Christ.

Or Triple H enters at #30 to dump Roman at the end.

I just noticed this post.

I don't get many predictions right, so I reserve the right to crow when it happens.  (Though, to be fair, the Rumble didn't END on that.)

There are studies that show that spoilers actually enhance our enjoyment of a given television program. 

Did TNA finance those studies?

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

Unless TNA is paying off UC San Diego, no. 

So, people's enjoyment would not have been dampened if

They knew going in that Han Solo dies?

There are studies that show that spoilers actually enhance our enjoyment of a given television program. 

Did TNA finance those studies?

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

Unless TNA is paying off UC San Diego, no. 

So, people's enjoyment would not have been dampened if

They knew going in that Han Solo dies?

It was accidentally spoiled for me. I shrugged it off and just got invested in the character development that led up to it. 

Pittsburgh show was super fun tonight. Got an incredible Zayn/Gargano bout. In fact, aside from Carmella/Jax which was pretty tough to watch, every match was  good-to-great.

Elias Samson was one of the most over guys tonight. Massive face pop returning home to Pittsburgh... then sang a shitty song he wrote making fun of the city which led to some nuclear heat.

Samoa Joe busted out the Heel Trifecta tonight on Balor... a back rake, an eye poke and he drug Balor's face across ring rope. Only thing missing from the Superfecta was a Nut Shot.

• Like 1

Dash and Dawson beat Enzo Amore and Big Cass to retain the NXT Tag Titles.

Nia Jax beat Carmella.

Elias Samson beat Tye Dillinger.

Baron Corbin beat Apollo Crews.

Sami Zayn beat Johnny Gargano.

Bayley beat Alexa Bliss to retain the NXT Divas Title.

Jason Jordan and Chad Gable beat The Vaudevillians.

Finn Balor beat Samoa Joe to retain the NXT Title.

They clearly are trying to send Crews a message (or something along those lines)

Elias Samson was one of the most over guys tonight. Massive face pop returning home to Pittsburgh... then sang a shitty song he wrote making fun of the city which led to some nuclear heat.

This sounds great, can't imagine how anyone can not love that.

• Like 1

So, am I alone in not getting Elias Samson at all? He's pedestrian in the ring and the gimmick is the equivalent of listening to hold music while waiting for a dental appointment booking. He and Crews are both instant fast forward  material for me right now.

IIRC, Crews beat Corbin in their Midwestern run last week. I think they're just having those guys trade wins on house shows, nothing more or less.

If Crews drops the fall to Samson at Takeover: Dallas, then I might change my opinion. 

For me, Corbin is kinda like Tyler Breeze in that I think he should get a NXT Championship run, but instead he's being marginalized as the guy to drop falls to the tippy-top dudes in the promotion. Sucks. 

Crews got some wins but they weren't over Corbin

It's just interesting that they feed Crews to Corbin on all these tours when they could clearly use someone else (like Tye Dillinger for one random example)

My point was not to say Crews should be over Crews just that they clearly aren't concerned about keeping Crews strong on tours

So, am I alone in not getting Elias Samson at all? He's pedestrian in the ring and the gimmick is the equivalent of listening to hold music while waiting for a dental appointment booking. He and Crews are both instant fast forward material for me right now.

Samson should have watched Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and read up on Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole as a prerequisite for being The Drifter.

• Like 2

I think if he does more on TV what he did in Pittsburgh, all the better. You gotta remember that guys like him are still trying to find their way.

It's one advantage of NXT is the unspoken understanding that the Sampsons and the like are unfinished products and part of what makes it enjoyable is seeing who figures their thing out and who doesn't.