DVDVR Message Board

Triple H interviewed by The Masked Man

He is truly the biggest nerd in wrestling."Ohmygosh you guys what if we had a hologram of Andre the Giant and he came out and talked to you? That'd be so sweet, right?"I love it.

My favorite thing about Hunter will always be how little he cares about sports. 

I really enjoyed this interview.  And I totally get his point on what is the point of dirt sheets spoiling debuts (Like Lesnar's return) besides to put oneself over.  

Actually, I had a hard time disagreeing with much of anything that he said in that interview, really, except the part where he talked about how The Clique came to be because they were guys who just wanted to talk about wrestling all the time, if that were true, I'd imagine Nash must've spent most of that time napping.

• Like 1

On the emerging developmental system:

It's to ensure the future of the business. Right now, probably 85 to 90 percent of our roster came through our system in some way. Five years from now, 100 percent of our roster will have come through there.

You heard it first. Daniel Bryan will be gone within the next five years*.

*Yes I know. Can't I be negative without nitpicking?

• Like 1

I really did love that interview, but, man, what is Triple H's problem with Foley?

Because Triple H is a hardcore(in the non-blood and guts way) wrestling fan, and fans treat him like shit, while Mick Foley, who just so happened to elevate Trips to another level, gets all the love for stunt work. All Trips wants is to be invited to the nerd party, and talk about Harley Race matches and Andre the Giant Holograms. But no he gets spit on, and so he has some resentment to all the people that do get nerd cred.

I mean, what else does he need to do? He set up a special padded ring in his performance center so guys practice flippy shit and missile drop kicks. They even have a professional equivalent of a Wrestle Buddy doll to practice MOOVEZ on. He's clearly 12 year old us on steroids.

• Like 11

Wade Keller is immediately and irrevocably shook by Triple H's words:

PWTorch editor Wade Keller answers: The story as he remembers isn't at all accurate. The person who wrote those things about DDP was Mark Madden, a columnist for PWTorch Newsletter at the time. DDP, as he has said numerous times in our recent interviews, and I always got along since we were both around near the start of our respective careers in the AWA. The idea that DDP called me and suddenly I "was digging Page," as Triple H said, is just not at all how things happened. First of all, the Torch doesn't speak with one voice. I was an advocate of DDP pretty early once he started showing he could be a great common man babyface character to go opposite of the NWO. All of the back issues of PWTorch Newsletter lay this out.

In fact, at one point I compared DDP's rise in WCW to Steve Austin's the WWF. Of course Austin was a much more well-rounded wrestler and would go on to greater heights, but both WCW and the WWF at that point needed fresh babyfaces who fans saw as "one of them," and when DDP had that series of really good career-making matches with Randy Savage, that's when I really began to get behind him. The idea that a phone conversation made me "dig DDP" is pretty lame. My "digging DDP" coincided with his hard work and opportunity leading to a successful push and a hot series of matches. My "digging DDP" coincided with a lot of other people suddenly seeing DDP in new light and complimenting him, too - those people did not have a conversation with DDP. (I also "flipped" on my opinion of Triple H work in the ring when it got better; it didn't take a phone conversation or "being charmed" by him. What it took was his changing the pace of his work in the ring which coincided with his getting over with fans and becoming an effective main event wrestler instead of that guy with all the potential who just wasn't getting over with fans.)

Also, if I have a rep for anything, it's for ruining "friendships" or turning away people who think they've "worked me" by speaking the truth as I see it despite their being friendly to me or providing me with information. It's one of the reasons three of Triple H's best friends in the industry have given me the longest interviews they've ever done. Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, and Sean Waltman have each done ten-plus hours of interviews with me. Funny thing is, I've ripped on all of them, including Waltman who is on my PWTorch Livecast tomorrow. They all understand it's my job to give opinions, and as long as there's no malice or a disregard for fairness, they are man enough to take it. There have been times in history where a wrestler has called me and it's changed my perspective on things based on new information, but nobody's ever "charmed me" on the phone and suddenly they went from a waste of time and total crap to being saviors who do wonderful work. I have nearly 26 years of a track record of the opposite being the case, and Triple H disrespectfully disregarded that based on one anecdote he remembers totally wrong.

What's frustrating is that sometimes people like Triple H think "the dirt sheets" or "the Internet" speak with one voice. PWTorch itself doesn't even speak with one voice, and I certainly don't want to be grouped in with the conventional wisdom of "the Internet" when it comes to certain things, including what Triple H complained about in the next paragraph - that the Internet makes him out to be evil and out to kill careers. I take heat for it, but nobody has defended Triple H and The Clique more than I have. Not blindly and not without some qualifications, but the notion that The Clique killed careers that could have blossomed if not for Triple H and his buddies sabotaging them has been debunked by me more than anyone the last 15 years, most recently including when I challenged Bob Holly on that assertion he made in his book in an interview I did with him on the PWTorch Livecast recently. So it's ironic he'd complain about people misconstruing his role behind the scenes, while the one thing he said about me was badly botched by attributing to me something someone else wrote.

Actually, HHH was pretty right about his comments to Foley. The dude didn't put his hands up. Who the hell wouldn't put a hand up (or flinch) on instinct when someone is swinging a chair at your head, unless it's by a complete and total surprise? And 90s Japan garbage wrestling -- I love it but it's a completely separate thing from everything else in pro wrestling. Foley ended up translating that stuff really well into the WWE (thumbtacks, his stuff with Randy Orton) but it is a different thing entirely.I love Foley to a ridiculous degree. The guy's awesome. I like him a lot more than I do HHH. But the chair thing always did bother me with him -- it was more "HEY I CAN GET HIT IN THE HEAD WITH A CHAIR!" than anything that conveyed the violence and brutality of someone cracking a chair over your skull.

And more power to HHH if what he says about his work ethic is true. If he busted his ass to get up in the morning to contribute to the product and wasn't afraid to give his feedback, than he does deserve a big spot. He was doing all that stuff before he married Steph so it's not like he married her and was gifted this spot.