DVDVR Message Board

Triple H interviewed by The Masked Man

You're the guy with the two stars. You do it.

I was going to delegate it to Fat Spanish Waiter, tweeting celebs is one of his specialties. 

I was going to delegate it to Fat Spanish Waiter, tweeting celebs is one of his specialties. 

Yeah, what does that have to do with Dallas Page though?

This is maybe my favourite run of three posts on DVDVR in a row.  Just perfect timing and responses.

• Like 1

I really did love that interview, but, man, what is Triple H's problem with Foley?

Because Triple H is a hardcore(in the non-blood and guts way) wrestling fan, and fans treat him like shit, while Mick Foley, who just so happened to elevate Trips to another level, gets all the love for stunt work. All Trips wants is to be invited to the nerd party, and talk about Harley Race matches and Andre the Giant Holograms. But no he gets spit on, and so he has some resentment to all the people that do get nerd cred.I mean, what else does he need to do? He set up a special padded ring in his performance center so guys practice flippy shit and missile drop kicks. They even have a professional equivalent of a Wrestle Buddy doll to practice MOOVEZ on. He's clearly 12 year old us on steroids.
So you're saying that HHH is basically Allen from that episode of Freaks and Geeks where he secretly loves Star Trek and that's why he bullies Sam and Bill?
  • Like 6

Actually, HHH was pretty right about his comments to Foley. The dude didn't put his hands up. Who the hell wouldn't put a hand up (or flinch) on instinct when someone is swinging a chair at your head, unless it's by a complete and total surprise? 

Why would Triple H continue across the ring when Irish-whipped, only to rebound back toward his waiting opponent?

The answer to your question, my question, and really to any question about the mechanics of pro wrestling, as always, is "Because it's pro wrestling." 

• Like 5

Nice little interview. It's easy to hate Triple H the wrestler, but when you hear him just talking like this it's really hard to hate him as a person.

I got a good laugh from him saying the trunks Patterson wore the night he won the title were behind a locked door. I'd be more interested in knowing if they have those cowboy boots that Patterson used to bludgeon Sgt. Slaughter in the boot camp match.

Without those death matches, HHH would still be trying to get over. Tarzan Goto > Triple HThough not really an insult. Tarzan Goto is great. And I do not want to insult Triple H. I don't think he is a bad guy. But I just don't want to hear him in a forum like that, because he starts reaching Kevin Nash levels of bullshit fast. 

That'll probably do it.

*insert snide comment by BigFresh in here somewhere*

No need for one. My new best friend FSW had my back.

Still thinking you're way better than you actually are...just like your wrestling days.

There's a lot I like about the HHH interview, but even as one of his most fiercest critics, I think there's a lot that just bullshit with the guy. If everything that's done with him is because of 'creative,' then why on earth did he get a big push with the "McMahon Helmsley Era"? Why is that 'guys don't get pushed because we tell the crowd who to cheer" and yet HHH (and lately John Cena and now Randy Orton) are in main event feuds/matches? Why is that he's a focal point of the WWE when the "WWE Universe" may not actually care about him or are lukewarm towards him?

Nice little interview. It's easy to hate Triple H the wrestler, but when you hear him just talking like this it's really hard to hate him as a person.

I heard someone else mention this recently, but it really shouldn't be a surprise that HHH is a likeable guy. You can't really be a master politician if nobody is your friend.

There's a lot I like about the HHH interview, but even as one of his most fiercest critics, I think there's a lot that just bullshit with the guy. If everything that's done with him is because of 'creative,' then why on earth did he get a big push with the "McMahon Helmsley Era"? Why is that 'guys don't get pushed because we tell the crowd who to cheer" and yet HHH (and lately John Cena and now Randy Orton) are in main event feuds/matches? Why is that he's a focal point of the WWE when the "WWE Universe" may not actually care about him or are lukewarm towards him?

Because Triple H and Randy Orton almost always get amongst the loudest reactions every single time they show up on tv, and John Cena gets even louder ones?

I mean, I don't completely buy his argument of "we don't decide" but the vast majority of crowds that show up at WWE tv and ppv shows fucking love Orton and Triple H, and either fucking love or FUCKING HATE John Cena, and they are the people who get the biggest reactions, along with Punk and lately Bryan.

Why did he get a push ever? Is that some sort of trick question?

HHH is the definiton of a guy who got everything thrown at him until he got over.

Right like the pig pen matches with a Godwin, the burial by Warrior, the homoerotic stooge to Shawn Michaels. He spent 3 years in the wilderness before he got himself over. The only help he got aside from Michaels was being allowed to continue DX.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't really understand people who say Trips was undeservedly shoved down everyone's throats during the initial main event push in 1999. I don't remember that year great but I definitely don't remember being offended that HHH was getting elevated. Obviously he reached another level in 2000 when he retired Foley and had one of the great calendar year's in the history of the sport (TM Tony Schiavone), but I still thought he was fine in '99.

Because Triple H and Randy Orton almost always get amongst the loudest reactions every single time they show up on tv, and John Cena gets even louder ones?

I mean, I don't completely buy his argument of "we don't decide" but the vast majority of crowds that show up at WWE tv and ppv shows fucking love Orton and Triple H, and either fucking love or FUCKING HATE John Cena, and they are the people who get the biggest reactions, along with Punk and lately Bryan.

My point is that HHH, Orton & Cena get treated better because they are more vocal about how they are treated.

In the interview, HHH points out that Austin would veto ideas if he didn't like them or didn't make any sense. It's natural to assume to Cena, Orton & HHH do the same thing.

There have quite a few people who have come and gone that have gotten similar reactions as Punk & Bryan. Hopefully, Punk & Bryan will get to the point that they are making people tune in, buy tickets, etc. and won't just lose matches because their opponents have vetoed losing against them.

But you know that HHH & Orton will try their damnest to ensure that Bryan is properly buried.

My point is that HHH, Orton & Cena get treated better because they are more vocal about how they are treated.

In the interview, HHH points out that Austin would veto ideas if he didn't like them or didn't make any sense. It's natural to assume to Cena, Orton & HHH do the same thing.

There have quite a few people who have come and gone that have gotten similar reactions as Punk & Bryan. Hopefully, Punk & Bryan will get to the point that they are making people tune in, buy tickets, etc. and won't just lose matches because their opponents have vetoed losing against them.

But you know that HHH & Orton will try their damnest to ensure that Bryan is properly buried.

People like this still exist.

• Like 1

He stepped up in '99, but had a lot of effort put in to getting him over before then. A lot more than most guys get these days.

He had a lengthy undefeated run when he first came in. The Warrior squash may have been his first TV pinfall loss.

During this time, he was bringing a different hot chick with him to the ring. Shortly after WM XII he starts feuding with Perfect, who turns around and helps him win the I-C title.

He gets Mr. Hughes as a heavy, then quickly he is dropped in favor of Chyna, who finally starts getting him over.

He wins the 1997 KotR and has the first big feud with Mick. After that he and HBK form DX. After HBK leaves he takes the reigns, leading to the hot feud with the Rock, which sees his big triumph in the blowoff at SummerSlam stolen because everyone realized that Rock > HHH.

He gets hurt, then comes back HUGE and and leads DX against The Corporation before turning on DX to join The Corporation, then runs roughshod over his former stablemates before finally catching fire as "The Game".

HHH is the definiton of a guy who got everything thrown at him until he got over.

Right like the pig pen matches with a Godwin, the burial by Warrior, the homoerotic stooge to Shawn Michaels. He spent 3 years in the wilderness before he got himself over. The only help he got aside from Michaels was being allowed to continue DX.

He was undefeated from his debut until the match with Warrior. Getting to face Warrior in his return was a huge deal. He won the feud with Godwin decisively. The Pig Pen match was a featured match on that PPV by the way. Being Michaels sidekick was a huge push. He lost at most five matches in 97, twice to Foley during their feud and once to Rocky Maivia. The only time he was buried was after the curtain call, where he jobbed to Mero a ton and even that ended with him winning the Intercontinental Title. The only time he was not given a big push was five months in 1996. 

My Dogshit laptop crashed as I was finishing a proper reply, to be quick I'll say he was pushed for sure but it wasn't some huge push, and Warrior crushing him wasn't some sort of big moment. His reactions justified his ascent up the ladder. No-one can honestly say Triple H was ever pushed harder than say Ahmed Johnson, or Rock. And to say he shoved down the crowds' throats every week is bullshit too.

I don't know that in the slightest bit.  Pretty sure that HHH, at least, has every intention of making sure Bryan gets as far as possible, because he's trying to find stars to help ensure the future of a company he hopes to leave to his daughter's some day.

• Like 4