DVDVR Message Board

STEVE AUSTIN PODCAST THREAD (New)

RIPPA

On 8/25/2016 at 9:57 AM, bazzil said:

I love Austin getting worked up over heels having a mean streak.

His nuances are quite draining to listen to now. Same song and dance for the three years of the show. Tag workers cutting the ring in half, SELLING, etc, we get the point. 

Loved the Pat Patterson episode. "Shawn Michael"

The Patterson podcast made me realize what Patterson sees in Zayn (IIRC correctly, there were reports he was high on him), and that's his selling.  Given that Pat thinks it is the key to getting over, I think Zayn will ultimately be fine, even if it means his overall push on the main roster will look like Ziggler's more than KO.

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

The Revival will be on with Austin on Tuesday

I am so semi-irrationally happy about this.  I cannot wait to hear this episode.  If there's a guy that would dig what they're doing it's Austin.  Funnily enough it's pretty much going to tie in with what TerjeRUN said about Steve's nuances.  If you're tired of that it might be best to avoid it Tuesday.  But for me I'll be all ears.

Granted it also helps that I don't really hear Steve's shows that much since there's so much on.  So for guys like him and JR, I don't have to hear it as much.

The difference between Austin and JR is that Austin, while he does have a few subjects he constantly nitpicks, still actually enjoys wrestling. 

As a matter of fact, I don't think Ross ever enjoyed wrestling.  I get the impression he fell into wrestling and stuck with it for the steady paycheck and would rather be calling COLLEGE FOOTBAW if he had his way.

• Like 1

JR is just one of those "rock and roll peaked in 1969, man" type guys. The problem is we still treat him like a modern critic when he has little to no interest in adapting to modern wrestling unless it's foisted upon him.

• Like 1

Jim Ross's grumpy old manisms come out in his commentary in NJPW too. I'm actually a big fan of him and Josh Barnett as a team, but there are some things Ross just can't let go of.

"A closed fist, as you know Josh, is illegal in New Japan, and should be illegal in all professional wrestling. That's why you see these forearm strikes instead of the ineffective closed fist punches you see so much in WWE"

*Michael Elgin punches Ishii straight in the mouth*

"Well they should be illegal!"

RE: Pat Patterson podcast. I really enjoyed the episode and as a commercial for his book, it did the job. Pat had such an interesting life. I'm going to go out and pick up a copy.

I'm 20+ minutes into it and I can't wait to get out of work to hear the rest.  Steve gushing over the Takeover match is just absolutely wonderful, and it sure sounds like Dash/Dawson are as legit as it gets.  Definitely worth listening to for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NickMD said:

I'm 20+ minutes into it and I can't wait to get out of work to hear the rest.  Steve gushing over the Takeover match is just absolutely wonderful, and it sure sounds like Dash/Dawson are as legit as it gets.  Definitely worth listening to for sure.

You mentioned earlier that the Revival would be right up Austin's alley, and sure enough, he hits all his standard podcast spots within the first five minutes.  If I didn't know better, I'd say that match was made specifically to pop Austin. 

Poor Ciampa when he listens to this podcast though.  "Thomas... Thomas-ee-o Cee-am-pa?"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Poor Ciampa when he listens to this podcast though.  "Thomas... Thomas-ee-o Cee-am-pa?"

Steves been hit in the head with so many damn steel chairs he dont know whether to shit or wind his watch.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

It's odd (to me at least) that they're reviewing this two weeks after it happened.  Thinking back to the Revival episode, I wonder at what point did he need to have them on there.  It's possible this was planned before the show, but I can see Steve looking at their Takeover match and thinking "Fuck, get these guys on the show immediately!"  In any event I'll likely give this a listen.

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

It's odd (to me at least) that they're reviewing this two weeks after it happened.  Thinking back to the Revival episode, I wonder at what point did he need to have them on there.  It's possible this was planned before the show, but I can see Steve looking at their Takeover match and thinking "Fuck, get these guys on the show immediately!"  In any event I'll likely give this a listen.

I think one of them tweeted Steve about the match. He watched it and decided to have them on.

• Like 1

Vince would likely never allow it, but I would love if every few months on the Network, there was a one-shot special that was essentially the American/WWE version of whenever a Japanese promotion turns over their roster to someone for a night and let's them do a "(Insert Japanese wrestler's name] PRODUCE" special with guys like Austin or Regal that obviously still keep up with the product.

Tell Steve Austin to pick 12-14 guys from the roster, give him budget to bring in 1 or 2 non-contract guys for a night, and let him make the matches, basically tell him "Hey Steve, what wrestling show do you want to see tonight?".

Would be a neat one-off special and get another legends appearance in as well. And could make for some damn fun wrestling television given the tastes of certain guys.

• Like 1

WWE Presents: Austin-Gun at Full Sail:

Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens

RnR Express vs. The Revival

Maybe a match with someone under a gimmick as Hershey the Wonder Dog vs Sami Callihan as space cat.

Oh, main event is Last Battle of Redneck Island: Mexican Death Match in a cage: Superfly Snuka's suspended above the ring in a metal spider web: Steve Austin vs Mr. Fly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rev Ray said:

WWE Presents: Austin-Gun at Full Sail:

Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens

RnR Express vs. The Revival

Maybe a match with someone under a gimmick as Hershey the Wonder Dog vs Sami Callihan as space cat.

Oh, main event is Last Battle of Redneck Island: Mexican Death Match in a cage: Superfly Snuka's suspended above the ring in a metal spider web: Steve Austin vs Mr. Fly

Submission match where Cena has to put on a snug STF to win 

Gucci Bag on a pole match 

• Like 3