DVDVR Message Board

STEVE AUSTIN PODCAST THREAD (New)

RIPPA

it felt really awkward the first time.  Initially, I thought it was something with Dean, like he was drunk or something.  Seemed like Steve was just staring a hole in him the whole time.

I've heard Dean on Art of Wrestling and on Jericho, I don't think it's a matter of him being exposed on being on for an hour talking because I felt both of those appearances were good.  This had an odd feel to it right from the start, so much so I commented on twitter it felt like Steve slipped Dean a few IPAs before they started.

As far as Austin putting a challenge to Dean to step it up, I'm fine with it.  Austin's not an cranky old guy who comes in and shits on everything.  He is very old school and I think he has a very good understanding somewhat of what the new guys are dealing with.  I'm kind of glad he did sort of challenge Dean to step up because Ambrose is a guy at one point that really felt like he could be that Roddy Piper or Austin type rough around the edges anti-hero.  And while he has been a bit of a victim of WWE being a little too cutesy where there's times they made Dean funny instead of truly menacing or mean when he should have been, Austin still thinks if someone steps up, they can still convince Vince their way is better that Vince will go along with it.  The question is if that climate still exists?  Is the old man still the one that will roll with it or are Steph or HHH or Vince or anyone else going to be pissed at someone defying them and punish them for it

Austin is one of favourites of all time but i hated the way he was acting near the end.

One thing i took from the podcast was-one of the biggest mistakes WWE last year was giving Lesnar another contract. Lazy, uninterested Lesnar is something the roster doesnt need but now that the UFC run is done maybe he might be re-energised again.

The roster is so stacked at the moment he's not needed imo.

• Like 1

I thought the podcast was a great watch with the awkwardness adding to it a bit, just felt right with Dean being how he is and I enjoyed all of his stories. Was surprised to hear him just straight up say Brock didn't wanna do anything when it came to the Mania match. Liked Dean's talk about wanting to pattern being champ after guys like Harley and Flair. I look forward to Dean's "best is yet to come" belief when it comes to him having more leeway with his stuff nowadays. I was waiting for Austin's challenge to lead to him telling Dean to just bring back the Attitude.

On 7/5/2016 at 2:27 PM, Charlie M. said:

Ricochet bringing up Chuck Taylor and Austin saying "Yeah I've seen some of his stuff" was surreal whether it was true or not. I just like to imagine Austin getting drunk, watching Chuck Taylor videos on Youtube and doing the belly laugh.

Taking his shirt off and tweeting Chuck Taylor.

On 8/9/2016 at 4:17 PM, Rev Ray said:

it felt really awkward the first time.  Initially, I thought it was something with Dean, like he was drunk or something.  Seemed like Steve was just staring a hole in him the whole time.

I've heard Dean on Art of Wrestling and on Jericho, I don't think it's a matter of him being exposed on being on for an hour talking because I felt both of those appearances were good.  This had an odd feel to it right from the start, so much so I commented on twitter it felt like Steve slipped Dean a few IPAs before they started.

As far as Austin putting a challenge to Dean to step it up, I'm fine with it.  Austin's not an cranky old guy who comes in and shits on everything.  He is very old school and I think he has a very good understanding somewhat of what the new guys are dealing with.  I'm kind of glad he did sort of challenge Dean to step up because Ambrose is a guy at one point that really felt like he could be that Roddy Piper or Austin type rough around the edges anti-hero.  And while he has been a bit of a victim of WWE being a little too cutesy where there's times they made Dean funny instead of truly menacing or mean when he should have been, Austin still thinks if someone steps up, they can still convince Vince their way is better that Vince will go along with it.  The question is if that climate still exists?  Is the old man still the one that will roll with it or are Steph or HHH or Vince or anyone else going to be pissed at someone defying them and punish them for it

Interestingly Dolph Ziggler kind of called out Austin about this line of thinking in the WWE Weekly Interview segment on YouTube with Michael Cole stating that such a climate does not exist and would be bad for his career if he tried to go against what Vince envisions.

48 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Some of that is that Dolph is a moron and wouldn't slow down for years when they told him to and that's a chunk of why his matches stink. You can only argue against Vince if you're right.

I feel if you meet a lot with Vince and keep pushing him he'll let up some and see if your idea sticks. Vince always seems open to at least listening to all his talent. He likes to push people and their buttons. He likes it if people step up and don't let anyone push them around. So if what you are saying you feel is right and take it to Vince and argue it through, I'm pretty sure he might let you go through with an idea. Now say if you say something on air without egtting in his ear first then Stephanie will before you get the chance and then you will be buried for a while or like Dusty, not allowed a live mic. 

On 8/12/2016 at 7:52 PM, Charlie M. said:

I think New Day shows that you can still challenge Vince and change his mind. You just better hit a home run when given the opportunity.

How so? Didn't Vince nix the original idea they had behind their team with the current stuff more or less just happening naturally after the pure positivity approach failed?

Haven't seen the Ambrose episode yet, but Austin did an episode with Braun Strowman.  Pretty good show, they discussed his time doing Wold's Strongest Man and workouts, then went into WWE talk.  The guy seems like a pretty solid dude with the right frame of mind for the business.  Definitely worth a listen.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Wade's point about Jon Stewart taking away from the seriousness of the tag title match might carry more weight if it didn't already involve New Day.

Or the threatening heels in lab coats with testicle jars. 

• Like 1