DVDVR Message Board

STEVE AUSTIN PODCAST THREAD (New)

RIPPA

A lot of people hate Keller, and I think he's way too in the bubble to give any reasonable analysis, but I love how Austin uses him as a vessel to complain about the product. He always directs the conversation to the stuff he hates without going all-out negative on it, and then Keller chips in with the real negativity.

"Now look, man, I don't wanna bury nobody and everybody is just doin' their jobs, but when you make the product all about how everybody's just fun and smiles..."

->Five minutes of Keller burying people and talking about how shitty the fun and smiles are.

"I mean, no disrespect, dude's a helluva worker and I understand it's not like it used to be backstage, but..."

-->Five minutes of Keller talking about how shitty that guy is.

etc.

Steve Austin being a craft beer guy will never not be weird to me.

Have you not drank any of the crappy and terrible beers he's had to drink while doing the gimmick?

A lot of white, blue collar guys from Texas drink that shit up. White, blue collar guys from Texas are not typically the craft beer market. 

Anybody listen to the new show with Foley yet? It got to the first ad break at the 40 minute mark, and then the show started over from the beginning again. This happen to anybody else, or is it just my download?

You could have that same experience reading Foley's facebook posts. 

• Like 2

Anybody listen to the new show with Foley yet? It got to the first ad break at the 40 minute mark, and then the show started over from the beginning again. This happen to anybody else, or is it just my download?

Yeah I thought it was my phone messing up but it seems it wasn't just me.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you not drank any of the crappy and terrible beers he's had to drink while doing the gimmick?

A lot of white, blue collar guys from Texas drink that shit up. White, blue collar guys from Texas are not typically the craft beer market. 

Liked on one of the recent shows where he was basically saying that if you've habitually drunk a lot of light beers like Miller and Bud like him then an IPA will initially fuck your shit up, gotta get your ass used to the flavour of those hops and that's the bottom line

Austin cutting weirdly compelling, intense promos about mundane everyday things/terrible gimmicky sponsor products is like 90% of the appeal of his podcast anyway for me

I wish Steve would do an end of year wrap up podcast where he reflects on his best guests over the year, what the highlights of the conversation were, revelations etc. Perhaps go through the top 10 downloaded episodes.

Does anyone know how many downloads podcasts get these days? I swear I remember Meltzer saying he once reached the 1M mark.

Austin's usually in the Top 10 in sports. There was a recent report that Bill Simmons got about 4 million downloads for his first 10 episodes combined and he's #1. Rogan does something like 11+ million downloads per month.

So I'd say a typical Austin podcast is probably hovering around 500k. Some of them do hit the top of the charts so it probably varies depending on the guest.

People have terrible taste. What can I tell ya.

I'm genuinely curious if there is some subset of Austin podcast listeners that actually look forward to and enjoy these Ted Fowler episodes.  At this point, I wonder if Austin should just take his show weekly or chop up all his interviews with more enticing guests into two parts.

• 5 weeks later...

Listening to the Jerry Only interviews and man does this guy come off like a huge full of shit douchebag. He perfectly encompasses the "If you run in to an asshole during the day you ran in to an asshole. If you run in to assholes all day long, you're the asshole" saying. Seems everybody who has been in the band with him is a dick and they were their own problems but he was never at fault for any of it. I don't know very much about the history The Misfits and have never listened to one song of theirs ever, but I know their name and that they've been around. But listening to him, they are The Beatles of punk rock and he is amazing and The Misfits changed the entire world. Who travels with a pack of lawyers? Somebody who needs representation when all his grandiose claims are called in to question, most likely. Man....I just don't think I've listened to an interview before where the person is so full of themselves and how great they are and how nothing is their fault since Sunny on Colt's show.