DVDVR Message Board

NFL Stupidity in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

And, laughably, Florio at PFT writes:

None of this changes the fact that Hardy is a bad guy who apparently did bad things. The point here is that the league seems to be trying to deliberately smear Hardy, possibly in a way that violates a North Carolina court order.

Given that the league tried to deliberately smear Tom Brady, it really shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Yup, apparently Hardy = Brady in some people's eyes.

If this is the NFL trying to smear Hardy there doing a horrible job cause this really just makes them look like idiots for not hearing Hardys 'side' in that meeting and saying 'life time ban'

They couldn't legally suspend him for 10 games, what makes you think they could give him a lifetime ban?  He would not be playing if it was up to the NFL.  They literally punished him as much as they could punish him. 

If this is the NFL trying to smear Hardy there doing a horrible job cause this really just makes them look like idiots for not hearing Hardys 'side' in that meeting and saying 'life time ban'

They couldn't legally suspend him for 10 games, what makes you think they could give him a lifetime ban? He would not be playing if it was up to the NFL. They literally punished him as much as they could punish him.

I'm pretty sure if the NFL wanted to ban a player for life they could find a way. MLB sure has.

If the NFL is in the business of smear campaigns then the first person on their list should be the NFL Players Association given how they have turned into low rent ambulance chasers that will defend anyone.   

The best part of the new Deadspin article is the link below that says 'Roger Goddell is a shit eating moron' 

I'm of the opinion that an informal blackball was the way to go, and for all I know, that mostly happened. Fucking Jerry Jones had to be That Guy - which is fair enough, I suppose, he's Jerry Jones.

I disagree with this.  I don't think you should deny anyone the ability to work.  If someone is qualified, and someone is willing to pay them, they should be allowed to do that job.  Nothing good can happen by stopping Greg Hardy from playing football.  He went through the legal process and the NFL's discipline process. At the end of those processes he was punished as severely as possible based on the results.  We can wish he had a more severe punishment, but at this point that has more to do with us than him.  He's a bad person, but there are plenty of bad people in every walk of life.  Do you know if anyone at your job has beat up his wife and/or girlfriend?  Would your job fire them if hey did?  I don't know if anyone at my job has, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fire them if they won in court.  The world is filled with assholes, scumbags, and flat out terrible people.  Those people are going to exist whether we like it or not.  Greg Hardy should be allowed to play, based purely on the fact that their rules say that he can.  I don't like him, his actions, or his attitude after, but I also don't like liver and onions.  I don't think we should ban liver and onions, despite the fact that I don't want it anywhere around me.

You can blame the players association, but the only reason that organization exists is to represent the players.  They can't pick and choose who they represent, he's a member of the union they are obligated to defend him to the best of their ability. 

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that an informal blackball was the way to go, and for all I know, that mostly happened. Fucking Jerry Jones had to be That Guy - which is fair enough, I suppose, he's Jerry Jones.

I disagree with this. I don't think you should deny anyone the ability to work. If someone is qualified, and someone is willing to pay them, they should be allowed to do that job.

Hence informal blackball. He's repugnant and signing him makes you repugnant, so not signing him is best for business. I don't at all think he should be banned, I think the owners should have the decency to not hire him.

I realize it's unrealistic.

• Like 1

Having watched the Adrian Peterson situation last year, and having acknowledged that the guy is a complete ass for what he did to that child. . .

If the National Football League wants to keep a guy off the field, they'll keep a guy off the field. They did it with Peterson and Hardy last year (even after one of Goodell's lackeys told Peterson that, if he pleaded no contest in court, he'd be able to return), and if they wanted Hardy. . .or Peterson, still, for that matter. . .off the field, they'd find a way to do it.

Having watched the Adrian Peterson situation last year, and having acknowledged that the guy is a complete ass for what he did to that child. . .

If the National Football League wants to keep a guy off the field, they'll keep a guy off the field. They did it with Peterson and Hardy last year (even after one of Goodell's lackeys told Peterson that, if he pleaded no contest in court, he'd be able to return), and if they wanted Hardy. . .or Peterson, still, for that matter. . .off the field, they'd find a way to do it.

You do realize that they took those things to court and a judge told the NFL that they couldn't do that right?  All of those punishments were deemed to be against the collective bargaining agreement.  The legal precident says that they can not do that any more.  Teams can decide not to sign a player, like what is going on with Ray Rice, but the NFL can't make them ineligible to play.  They can't have some meeting where they all agree not to sign people, because that is collusion and that is illegal.  He is eligible to play football, he was given the most severe punishment that is legal.  As long as someone is willing to pay him, the NFL has no legal recourse. 

Greg Hardy is a scumbag, but he's been punished as much as he can legally be punished.  Johnny Manziel's girlfriend is on tape saying he hit her a couple of times, and hasn't been punished at all.  No one seems to have a problem with him, why? 

The best was when I was watching I think maybe the football night preshow Sunday and they threw it to Bob Costas for his sanctimonious commentary on Hardy.  He pointed the blame squarely at the NFLPA and then the hosts in the studio had to walk that shit back.  Somehow the guys in the studio knew that the NFLPA was obligated to defend him but Costas didn't.

Greg Hardy is a scumbag, but he's been punished as much as he can legally be punished. Johnny Manziel's girlfriend is on tape saying he hit her a couple of times, and hasn't been punished at all. No one seems to have a problem with him, why?

I do but your point is valid. And it points out the big problem with letting a business police things.

I think the big difference is that people say "Johnny needs help" and "Greg Hardy is a monster" which are both accurate but also wild over-simplifications. I say nobody should work with either of them. Again, I don't think that's realistic.

I don't know about you, but I think unemployed monsters are much more likely to be menaces than employed monsters.  You can put these people out of a job, but then what?  They aren't going to start being model citizens, because they aren't in the public eye.  They'll probably be just as bad, if not worse, only they'll be doing it without making the news.  There are terrible people in all walks of life, putting all of those people out of a job would be terrible.  Why single these guys out? 

Good idea. Let's just give everyone in jail a job in the NFL. Recidivism will drop like a rock.

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm saying that it does no good to take the job of someone who is 100% qualified to be an NFL player.  Kicking someone out of the NFL does nobody any good.  Do you refuse to eat at restaurants, because one of the cooks hit his wife?  Do you take the next cab, because the cabby beat his kid?  Do you go in the long line at the supermarket, because the person in the short line did something you don't like?  There are literally bad people in every profession.  Football players aren't special.  They should be able to be as good or bad as anyone else.  He did something terrible, he was punished for it.  There is nothing else to be done. 

Good idea. Let's just give everyone in jail a job in the NFL. Recidivism will drop like a rock.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm saying that it does no good to take the job of someone who is 100% qualified to be an NFL player. Kicking someone out of the NFL does nobody any good. Do you refuse to eat at restaurants, because one of the cooks hit his wife? Do you take the next cab, because the cabby beat his kid? Do you go in the long line at the supermarket, because the person in the short line did something you don't like? There are literally bad people in every profession. Football players aren't special. They should be able to be as good or bad as anyone else. He did something terrible, he was punished for it. There is nothing else to be done.

Lots of people in entertainment don't work because they're horrible people and people don't want to watch them. It's not unique to this form of entertainment. When was the last time you saw Mel Gibson?

• Like 1

What the hell are you talking about? I'm saying that it does no good to take the job of someone who is 100% qualified to be an NFL player. Kicking someone out of the NFL does nobody any good. Do you refuse to eat at restaurants, because one of the cooks hit his wife? Do you take the next cab, because the cabby beat his kid? Do you go in the long line at the supermarket, because the person in the short line did something you don't like? There are literally bad people in every profession. Football players aren't special. They should be able to be as good or bad as anyone else. He did something terrible, he was punished for it. There is nothing else to be done.

Lots of people in entertainment don't work because they're horrible people and people don't want to watch them. It's not unique to this form of entertainment. When was the last time you saw Mel Gibson?

I don't know, I think I saw R. Kelly last week.  Chris Brown is still dancing around.  Bill Whithers just got inducted into the Hall of Fame.  Michael Fassbender is doing pretty well.  Sean Penn probably had a better career after hitting Madonna in the head with a baseball bat than before.  David O. Russell is a pretty sucessful director.  Floyd Mayweather just had the highest grossing pay per view ever. 

• Like 1