DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL PRE-SEASON THREAD

Gonzo

So who are the hot QB prospects in college this upcoming year?

It is...not a good year to be looking for a QB in the draft. Unless some guys emerge over the course of the season, you're going to see a lot of reaches for spread QBs like Dak Prescott or Trevon Boykin or the kid at Cal.

Christian Hackenberg from Penn State is the platonic ideal of a pro-style prospect, but he had a lousy season last year.

Your starting QB for the DC Skintags next year will be......Wisconsin QB Joel Stave! He's about as likely an option as me or Fowler. That isn't even a joke, he's that unlikely.

Snyder will convince himself that one of the Buckeye three is a younger, healthier version of RG3 and jump all over that in the draft. He won't think the plan is wrong, just that he ended up with a defective model.

Remember a few months ago I said the smartest move Washington has made in a while was letting RG3's option ride instead of paying Dalton/Tannehill money for the rest of the decade? Here you go.

Remember a few months ago I said the smartest move Washington has made in a while was letting RG3's option ride instead of paying Dalton/Tannehill money for the rest of the decade? Here you go.

No way, Snyder is so in lesbians with having a real, live black friend that he'll demand they sign him to an extension anyway, no matter how many times he's knocked out this year.

• Like 2

No way, Snyder is so in lesbians with having a real, live black friend that he'll demand they sign him to an extension no matter how many times he's knocked out this year.

You get a like just for the Scott Pilgrim reference.

Herschel Walker was worse, especially since the Rams aren't winning Super Bowls any time soon.

To expand: That one gave the Cowboys tonnes of depth, they drafted Darren Woodson, who was a borderline HoF candidate, and got the pieces to draft Emmitt Smith.

The Ricky Williams trade was almost as bad, but Washington never amounted to much after it.

• Like 1

As someone who has only really followed the NFL for about a decade, does the RG3 deal go down as the worst trade in history?

No

Google Herschel Walker Trade

• Like 2

Also - people forget that the Chargers traded two #1s, a #2 and two players (including Eric Metcalf) to move up one spot so they could draft Ryan Leaf

So yeah - RG3 might end up in the Top 5 but it won't crack Top 2

• Like 3

Also - people forget that the Chargers traded two #1s, a #2 and two players (including Eric Metcalf) to move up one spot so they could draft Ryan Leaf

So yeah - RG3 might end up in the Top 5 but it won't crack Top 2

But at the time Ryan Leaf was supposed to be as good if not better then Peyton. The only thing RG3 had on Luck was he was more mobile and the heisman.

Yes - but it was universal RG3 was going #2 just like Leaf would always be #1 or #2

The Eli trade would have been horrific without the Super Bowls as the Giants got bent over for someone everyone knew would be the 1st QB taken (at worst 2nd)

The RGIII thing is one of the strangest sagas I've ever witnessed.  He was incredible as a rookie, got hurt, and then was put back on the field until he essentially collapsed.  Then either him or the Shannahan's rushed him back way before anyone should ever come back from an ACL tear and he hasn't been anything close to the same since.  They literally ran their rookie, potential franchise quarterback into the ground in one season.  I didn't watch the game last night very closely, but he seemed to get hit and hit hard every time I looked up, until he was ultimately injured.  I am not accusing the Washington football team of trying to get him injured, but if they were trying to get him injured it would look exactly like what was happening last night.  That hasn't even taken into account how he went from the most beloved sports figure in the city to someone that people hate even when he hasn't done anything wrong.  That quote about him feeling that he is the best quarterback in the league was taken completely out of context.  In context he didn't say that at all, he was saying that in order to be successful that is the mentality a quarterback has to play with.  There has been hours of radio/television about him saying something that he didn't even say.  That is like me saying "I like the Nazi's idea for the freeway system, but hate everything else about them," and people quoting me and saying "I like the Nazis."  It is a completely and totally different point, everyone knows it is a completely and totally different point, and still pretending that that is my point.  He is to the point that no matter what he says it will be taken as a negative.  I've lived in the DC metro area since 1995 and he is the most hated player I can remember.  I don't know if you remember all the other Washington quarterbacks since then, but they weren't any better than RGIII. 

• Like 1

His issue - and this sounds like coded language but actually isn't for once - is a perceived lack of humility that reads like cluelessness. Which is backed by his perceived position as hanging onto his job mostly because he's buddies with their (reviled) owner. He also talks too much and produces too little. Not likeable + not good at football = hated.

That said, I think it's all awesome because fuck Washington FC.

His issue - and this sounds like coded language but actually isn't for once - is a perceived lack of humility that reads like cluelessness. Which is backed by his perceived position as hanging onto his job mostly because he's buddies with their (reviled) owner. He also talks too much and produces too little. Not likeable + not good at football = hated.

That said, I think it's all awesome because fuck Washington FC.

Except he doesn't really talk that much.  He is doing contractually obligated interviews and people are taking what he is saying out of context.  He has become unlikeable by doing the exact same interviews he was doing when he was beloved.  He has not changed at all, everything else changed.

• Like 1

RGIII's personality hasn't changed.  He's still likeable. He's the same guy who gave a great Heisman winning speech while wearing superhero socks.  It's our perception of him that's changed.  Sadly for him, that perception has become reality.

It's weird watching all this unfold around a guy whose biggest knock is that he gets hurt a bit much.  So does Sam Bradford, and no one hates him.  And he got the last big rookie contract. At least RGIII is pretty cheap.

• Like 1