DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Am I the only one who watched the Suicide Squad trailer and didn't think it was gritty? It was dark... but it seemed to me like there were going to be humorous elements, I trust Ayer I think he'll put out a fine movie that will make most people happy. It won't make everyone happy because that's impossible in this genre.

When I look at the original character of Harley, I see someone who is 1.too dorky to intentionally try to be "sexy" with the goth-loli outfits, and 2.too much of a wannabe to ever be a real supervillain and actually murder innocent people. If you change those, then you change the character, and it's not really Harley anymore.

• Like 2

Well, part of the problem is that the Original Harley was an original character for B:TAS.  As awesome as TAS was, the stakes are a bit higher in other media, and Joker is way more on the deadly side.  She can't stay the bubbly airhead she was in the TAS and translate to other media and still be Joker's Girl.

Am I the only one who watched the Suicide Squad trailer and didn't think it was gritty? It was dark... but it seemed to me like there were going to be humorous elements, I trust Ayer I think he'll put out a fine movie that will make most people happy. It won't make everyone happy because that's impossible in this genre.

By virtue of Joker, Harley, & Smith being in its already admittedly impossible for me to be completely happy with. I've also never seen any of Ayer's films so I have nothing to go with to really know how good he is outside of the opinions here. it does feel like he is pulling from both the original & new 52 series going of whats been shown so far. Honestly all of my annoyance will probably go away if Waller is closer to how she was in the original series.

Joker isn't in the squad from what I can tell and I have no issue with him being involved because they are building a universe and the DC villains are awesome. Smith scares me a little bit but I stated earlier that even if he's just "Will Smith being Will Smith"  that is more entertaining than most actors.

Also, Ayer wrote Training Day which was awesome. He wrote and directed End of Watch and Fury which were both good. This should be right in his wheelhouse.  

• 2 weeks later...