DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Ace said:

So after proving he didn't understand Superman, we now see Snyder doesn't understand Batman either. Yeah, I'm passing on this grimdark bullshit.

Fucker didn't understand 300, and there's not much there to misunderstand. He didn't understand Dawn of the Dead either, and Watchmen? We've had that conversation, recently, and he didn't get much credit during it. Now, I haven't seen Sucker Punch, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get that either. Even though it was all his idea. 

Basically, he's Michael Bay, only with slightly better visuals and fight scenes where you can tell what's happening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

lol. There's issues with the movie but that's not one of them. He doesn't kill anyone, I think people are confusing the nightmare sequence with the real Bruce.

Why do you keep saying he didn't kill anyone?  He straight up shot at least 50 people in this movie, are you convinced that none of them died?  Do you think people don't die when being shot with a machine gun, or when a car lands on top of them, or how about when they catch on fire?  I don't understand how you could have watched that movie and come to the conclusion that he didn't kill anyone.  He had guns mounted on the batmobile and the batwing, and that doesn't even take into account that the plot revolved around him actively trying to kill Superman.  If somehow none of the people he shot, smashed, or burned died, it wasn't from lack of trying.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

.Now, I haven't seen Sucker Punch, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get that either.

Sucker Punch proved that Snyder did not get Terry Gillam's Brazil, but the all of the girls are hot and the action sequences really are off the chain.  They make you forgive a lot.

Scott Glenn pretty much using this movie to prep for his role as Stick in Daredevil is too fucking good for this film. 

If Sucker Punch were only made up of the dream sequences, it would have rated a billion stars.

I thnk people are onto something when they talk about Snyder's fixation on Ayn Rand.  I really enjoyed Watchmen, but hated Sucker Punch.  Snyder works wonders with flawed and self-serving protagonists but has no clue what to do with selfless ones.  He really does have a problem depicting altruism.

It is hilarious that he portrays the Spartans in 300 as totally selfless when the historical Spartans were arguably the Fascists of their time.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Why do you keep saying he didn't kill anyone?  He straight up shot at least 50 people in this movie, are you convinced that none of them died?  Do you think people don't die when being shot with a machine gun, or when a car lands on top of them, or how about when they catch on fire?  I don't understand how you could have watched that movie and come to the conclusion that he didn't kill anyone.  He had guns mounted on the batmobile and the batwing, and that doesn't even take into account that the plot revolved around him actively trying to kill Superman.  If somehow none of the people he shot, smashed, or burned died, it wasn't from lack of trying.

Pretty sure using that logic Batman's killed plenty in various movies and video games so there's no reason people should be up in arms about it here

Holy shit. Niners thinks Batman didn't kill anyone.

His goal was to MURDER Superman and he went to great lengths to do it. On his path to accomplishing that feat, he straight up murdered a bunch of other bad guys. Jesus Christ, it's blatantly acknowledged that he plays judge, jury and executioner and his Batman brand is a death sentence once the criminal is in prison.

Not only that, but I loved how Batman gets stabbed in the arm, because of course Batman's greatest weakness continues to be sharp knives, and he pulls the knife out and fucking stabs the guy who stabbed him. 

I almost don't even care about spoiling this movie because fuck this movie. Everything you need to know is in the previews anyway.

Now Zack Snyder is invoking Seven Samurai when talking about Justice League. REALLY? That is like Limp Bizkit saying their new shit is going to be like Pink Floyd. Well no, it isn't, because you're Limp Bizkit and you suck.

I'll also be the one to say it: I found all of the pre-movie hype for Affleck as Batman to be way over the top. I didn't think his Batman was any good, but part of that is due to the script. Jeremy Irons killed it as Alfred.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not only that, but I loved how Batman gets stabbed in the arm, because of course Batman's greatest weakness continues to be sharp knives, and he pulls the knife out and fucking stabs the guy who stabbed him. 

Was that before or after the guy shoots him in the head twice at point blank range without even acknowledging that he got shot?  So he is vulnerable to stab wounds, but bullets do not phase him at all.  That movie was absurd.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it. It was OK. Not great. Not good. Confusing at times. Funny when it shouldn't be - I had a nice laugh when young Bruce was lifted by the bats until they revealed it was dream and Superman's look of "sadness" when he goes off to fight Batman. The chances that Batman didn't kill anyone at the harbor are very low. Everything was so dark. Wonder Woman was a highlight. I think it was nice of Lex to give WW, Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman those useful logos. I liked Eisenberg's Luthor but wished he had more physical heft to him. Luthor isn't a fighter but he shouldn't be that unimposing. Was his assistant supposed to be someone?

Initially wondered why Frank Miller and Dan Jurgens had a space between their names and the other creators (Byrne, Wolfman et al) but then remembered that Jurgens did Death of Superman.

I got these clear files though so that was nice. It's the same file but my friend gave me hers so I'm just showing the back and front in one photo.

clearfiles.jpg

Oh, I've never seen Man of Steel - does Superman refer to the Kents by their first names or Mom and Dad or what? Because that makes the whole Martha thing way more contrived if they are Mom and Dad.

Finally, someone was straight up snoring before and through the final fight.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So again I have to ask would it be safe to take my 8 year old nephew to this, or should I wait?

I think you're fine..there's an early scene where Lois is in the bathtub but you don't see anything and towards the end of the movie Batman says "Oh Shit!" those would be the two questionable things I can think of off the top of my head

2 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I think you're fine..there's an early scene where Lois is in the bathtub but you don't see anything and towards the end of the movie Batman says "Oh Shit!" those would be the two questionable things I can think of off the top of my head

Thanks for the info. Probably will check it out tomorrow then.

I wouldn't take my kid to see this. There's a scene where they show Batman, with a fucking pistol, straight up gunning down dudes, stealing automatic weapons and killing dudes with them, etc. It's also not fun. At all. I would imagine a kid sitting there for 2 and a 1/2 hours bored out of their mind.

• Like 1

It is very violent, if that is something you are worried about.  The camera work on that bathtub scene is probably the best(or worst) show everything but the nipple work I've ever seen.  It is also very long, like two bathroom breaks long, and I could see how there could be some confusing parts for a kid.  

If we're saying Batman killed people, then we also assume that most goons in every comic book film are dying from the various energy blasts and punches from meta humans and mutants they are eating. Also, it's pretty blatant that Batman was driven over the edge and Superman brought him back to who he is. That's why he doesn't brand Luthor. There were a lot of issues in the movie but I didn't think any of them were Batman.

• Like 1

there were a ton of kids there. The sequence Craig is talking about is a nightmare sequence but there isn't any blood or anything. There's no more violence in this than any other comic book film. Amazing Spider-Man 2 has Gwen getting dropped on her neck. Spider-Man has Green Goblin dying on screen and citizens being turned into bones. Days of Future Past has a bunch of deaths.  Back in the day all my friends and I went to see the big action flicks with our parents whether it was True Lies or Speed or Cliffhanger etc..  

1 minute ago, Mike Zeidler said:

There were tons of kids at Deadpool too, and Blade II, and any horror movie I've been to.  Doesn't mean it's appropriate for kids.

So you think they are terrible parents, is that what you're getting at? I'm not having that debate. I think most kids will be fine seeing this, you don't. Moving on.

Since it was brought up, it might be worth noting that the Rotten Tomatoes audience score has dropped to 74%.

Audience scores of other current, critically panned movies:

London has Fallen:  61%

Greek Wedding 2:  66%

Miracles from Heaven:  84%

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If we're saying Batman killed people, then we also assume that most goons in every comic book film are dying from the various energy blasts and punches from meta humans and mutants they are eating. Also, it's pretty blatant that Batman was driven over the edge and Superman brought him back to who he is. That's why he doesn't brand Luthor. There were a lot of issues in the movie but I didn't think any of them were Batman.

So you are saying that even though we watched Batman shoot people with mounted machine guns, we shouldn't assume any of them died?  How did he shoot that many bullets while driving without at least accidentally killing someone?  Why was he shooting machine guns at people if he didn't intend on murdering them?  Is Batman such a good shooter/driver than he can shoot that many bullets and only wound the people he's shooting at?  If he didn't want to kill people why is he indiscriminately shooting at them?  If he wasn't trying to kill people why did he have mounted machine guns on both the Batmobile and the Batwing?  He clearly isn't above murder, because he spends the entire movie plotting the murder of an innocent man.  

Spoiler

When he shot the dude with the flamethrower to save Martha Kent, do you think that dude survived the explosion?  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Why was he shooting machine guns at people if he didn't intend on murdering them?  Is Batman such a good shooter/driver than he can shoot that many bullets and only wound the people he's shooting at? 

Spoiler

When he shot the dude with the flamethrower to save Martha Kent, do you think that dude survived the explosion?  

Terminator 2 Arnold is using a mini gun and somehow doesn't kill anyone with it. He's using grenade launchers and doesn't kill anyone. Cops, mind you. It doesn't make sense in the real world but we overlook it